DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, RIZIN, AXS TV Live Event Thread

Elsalvajeloco

RIZIN_Poster.jpg?1449496546

RIZIN Fighting: World Grand Prix 2015 - Day 3

December 31, 2015

Saitama, Japan (Saitama Super Arena)

RIZIN FF 2015 Heavyweight Grand Prix Finals: Jiri Prochazka (211.5) vs. Muhammed Lawal (214) - Lawal, KO (punch), R1 (5:09)

Fedor Emelianenko (236) vs. Jaideep Singh (233) - Emelianenko, SUB (punches), R1 (3:02)

Asen Yamamoto (144.5) vs. Kron Gracie (144.5) - Gracie, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (4:58)

Andy Souwer (159) vs. Yuichiro Nagashima (158) - Souwer, TKO (punches), R1 (5:28)

Peter Aerts (n/a)* vs. Kaido Hoovelson (403.5) - Hoovelson, DEC (unanimous)

Shoot Boxing rules: Chad Rowan (419) vs. Bob Sapp (330.5) - Sapp, DEC (technical)

Gabrielle Garcia (216) vs. Seini Draughn (201) - Garcia, KO (punches), R1 (2:36)

K-1 Kickboxing rules: Takeru (125.5) vs. Yang Ming (125.5) - Takeru, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:50)

Soo Chul Kim (134.5) vs. Maike Linhares (134.5) - Kim, DEC (unanimous)

Brennan Ward (178) vs. Ken Hasegawa (178.5) - Ward, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:52)

RIZIN FF 2015 Heavyweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals: Jiri Prochazka (211.5) vs. Vadim Nemkov (219.5) - Prochazka, TKO (corner retirement), R1 (10:00)

RIZIN FF 2015 Heavyweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals: Teodoras Aukstuolis (216) vs. Muhammed Lawal (214) - Lawal, DEC (unanimous)

Rena Kubota (112) vs. Jleana Valentino (112) - Kubota, SUB (armbar), R2 (3:31)

*Openweight bout; Aerts did not weigh in

Attendance: 18,365

Just finished watching Invicta 1 Smith vs. Young was FOTN and Penne vs. Ellis was a bloodbath in the 3rd round.

Looking forward in the future to watching the other 13 events I need to watch.

Been a huge fan ever since that first show and loved just about every event. Always my favorite events to look forward to. Lots of fun fights and fighters that became big favorites of mine. Cool that you're getting to go back through them

Figured I might as well since I haven't seen them plus need to get my money's worth's and I always sing the praises of women's fights on this forum. Yeah hopefully Fight Pass will work better for other 13 events since I had to refresh a lot to get it to work since it wouldn't stop buffering after watching for 30 mins rinse and repeat or at the beginning wouldn't start the video until somewhere in the 4 to 7 refresh.

The GM opened the show with a Hell of a Pro wrestling style entrance. King Mo looked good in his bouts they showed. Ward had a hard fought fight that he was able to win by submission. Tapa almost won in the 1st 30 seconds of her bout then it was all downhill from there. Fedor won his tomato can fight but crushed him like he should have. It was interesting and finished like 30 mins before it was scheduled to on the DVR.

Aerts didn't weigh in because he was a late last minute replacement due to an entire fiasco between RIZIN and Jerome Le Banner.

Attendance for the event was 18,365.

Both shows were good fun.

Aerts didn't weigh in because he was a late last minute replacement due to an entire fiasco between RIZIN and Jerome Le Banner.

Hopefully, we can look forward to JLB finally settling the score with Baruto in Nagoya.

finally watched this today (the Spike TV airing, although i have both nights downloaded in Russian commentary).

holy shit i loved this card(s). it honestly felt like a PRIDE show from the very beginning, and that's the highest compliment i can offer it.

looking forward to checking out the tourney's first round. King Mo looked good enough in victory.

Sakuraba came out with a look on his face like he was about to get killed. then he, in fact, had his career murdered. hope to never see him again. (<3 saku)

that women's fight was atrocious. i honestly can't believe they aired that. in the era of Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm it was such an embarrassment.

Fedor crushed a can. NYE is alive and well. if Fedor doesn't face Kharitonov or Kimbo next i will be disappointed.

Yeah, Kimbo ain't fighting anyone with a pulse. Sergei is either landing with UFC, Bellator, or Glory. I'm not even sure if Glory is a major bidder at this point.

If Fedor fights in April, it's most likely going to be another bum.

Yeah, Kimbo ain't fighting anyone with a pulse. Sergei is either landing with UFC, Bellator, or Glory. I'm not even sure if Glory is a major bidder at this point.

If Fedor fights in April, it's most likely going to be another bum.

i'm not a man with high hopes as far as Fedor's MMA future goes. everyone keeps talking about UFC, but i can't believe that anyone thinks that is likely.

my choice is Kharitonov if he wants to pretend like he's still fighting top competition or Kimbo if he's just in for a big payday/buyrate/viewer number.

there honestly isn't much out there as far as heavyweight names that would move any sort of needle.

Lashley possibly, but he hasn't done much in Bellator, so i doubt people would care.

i see Mariusz "Pudz" Pudzianowski bandied around a lot, but i really don't see that garnering a lot of eyeballs.

people still mention Randy Couture as a challenger, but he's (i believe) still under a UFC contract, plus he's been retired for like 4-5 years.

i guess Cheick Kongo is an option, but seriously?

could former UFC champ Ricco Rodriguez be bullied into getting into shape and be propped up long enough to be hyped as a challenge?

am i missing any serious contenders?

You have to remember that, at this point, Spike/Viacom don't have a ton invested in RIZIN. It's a company left up its own devices. So basically, anything that would attract non-Japanese people is essentially not the plan. In my opinion, being a product that's live in Japan and potentially tape delayed everywhere else basically doesn't fit the Spike model anyway. Shit, they couldn't even get the Glory programming thing right and those were cards in North America and places across the way that would be on early in the day here stateside.

Also keep in mind, the PBC cards are do middling numbers that get crushed by Cops reruns. Those are the best shows PBC has put on, and they're marketed constantly on Bellator shows and all over Spike. Still, no one watches them really. There isn't much of a market for airing tape delayed MMA. So I don't know why they would get invested unless Fedor fought for Bellator, which I don't think they're interested in at this point. Also, I doubt Bellator is interested in sacrificing one of their few names or recognizable figures unless Viacom urged them to. However, what would be the point?

Therefore, Fedor vs. some 400 pound ex sumo guy is most likely where we're headed. Best case scenario (and I mean best case) is someone like Mo or Rampage. However, RIZIN is basically button-mashing to see if they can pop a decent number over in Japan. So who the fuck knows? It could be Yuichiro Nagashima in full anime cosplay garb.

Fedor didn't move needles on this show. Bob Sapp vs. Akebono did. The RIZIN ratings peaked at a 7.3% and that was during the Sapp vs. Akebono Shootboxing fight.

Mo came out and said he wanted to fight Fedor, but that he would have to talk to Sakakibara about that.

I don't know why people keep coming up that Fedor's a huge draw in Japan, when he really isn't. Heck the casual Japanese fans don't know the difference between PRIDE and K-1 and they don't even know who Sakuraba or Aoki are.

RIZIN needs to build up Kron Gracie, Asen Yamamoto, Gabi Garcia and RENA.

Kron is Rickson's son and Rickson is somewhat known in Japan. So he'll be easier to build. Plus he's young and a great grappler so he could win some fights.

Asen is KID's nephew and KID a very big name in Japan. KID had an exhibition fight with Masato on NYE and that outdrew the RIZIN event. Plus Asen looked alright in his fight with Kron despite getting submitted in under 5 minutes.

Gabi didn't look great, but she's massive and that's one of the things the Japanese fans will appreciate about her.

There's also RENA who looked decent in her MMA debut against Jleana Valentino. She's still young and an excellent striker with some decent judo skills and some decent overall grappling. She can become a true star if marketed and if they have her fight the right opponents.

Asen just seems like a kid who really needs to stay on the other side of the pond. He is just super green, and he doesn't have some of the innate abilities that you want out someone you could build a promotion around. He should be fighting in the lower level Japanese promotions where he could get better. Why would you a put him, a kid who was wrestling at like 135 or so pounds, against a legitimate black belt who competed at 165-170 pounds in BJJ? It makes no sense if you want him to be a star.

He just seems like one of the older judoka that Pride use to throw out there to taking a beating like Takimoto and Dong Sik Yoon. I have no faith that they can do anything with him. He would have to turn the corner in a significant way, which was something Satoshi Ishii was far from ever doing.

The only thing that really matter's is that he's KID's nephew.

He could turn out to be absolutely horrible and it won't matter if he can string a couple of wins together.

There's tons of 125, 135, 145 and 155 lb. fighters in Japan with losing records that they can have Asen fight and most likely beat.

In the end it won't matter if his opponent are 0-0 or 0-10 as long as he can knock them out in brutal fashion or beat them to a decision. All that will matter is the connection to KID.

Plus I'm sure if they search around they can find guys who just train in gyms in Europe and offer them fights and Asen can beat them which is something that was proven as they can do as they found a virtual unknown Italian fighter for RENA to fight in her debut.

The only thing that really matter's is that he's KID's nephew.

He could turn out to be absolutely horrible and it won't matter if he can string a couple of wins together.

There's tons of 125, 135, 145 and 155 lb. fighters in Japan with losing records that they can have Asen fight and most likely beat.

In the end it won't matter if his opponent are 0-0 or 0-10 as long as he can knock them out in brutal fashion or beat them to a decision. All that will matter is the connection to KID.

Plus I'm sure if they search around they can find guys who just train in gyms in Europe and offer them fights and Asen can beat them which is something that was proven as they can do as they found a virtual unknown Italian fighter for RENA to fight in her debut.

The thing is you want to him to be a star. Japan currently has how many homegrown stars (meaning Japanese nationals) left? 

Absolutely horrible fighters don't string together victories. If you're treating him like a fighter who is no good, then more than likely he's going to turn out no good. This isn't 1990s boxing in Mexico where some guy can become champion after starting his career well below .500. If you're trying to spark a boom and the pool is extremely shallow, you would want to be extremely careful with him. If he gets knocked out or clowned again before deciding to quit MMA, then what? Try to sign one of KID's nieces or something? It makes no sense.

• 2 weeks later...