DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, RIZIN, AXS TV Live Event Thread

Elsalvajeloco

• 4 weeks later...

They got to give Page someone at least halfway decent. There has got to be one of those Bjorn era tournament welterweights or ex-middleweights still around that can take a beating. It's just weird watching him fight dudes who aren't even Bellator worthy let alone television fight worthy. They're not helping him learn any new skills that he can actually utilize going forward.

I think their main concern is him losing so feeding him Tomato cans until a big fight they have planned for next year then see how it goes.

It's not like what happened with Schilling and Kato. Schilling should be doing Glory and that's it. A tomato can in Bellator isn't going to do what they fear will happen. It's going to be a real wrestler that can get around his striking. That or a striker who can get in and drop him. That's going to be someone who legitimately can fight and not some guy they just get off the streets like he has been fighting. But that's my argument, going back, is that they can't be afraid that will happen because they need to build up whoever would beat him. That's what they failed to do with Brooks when he beat Chandler. Brooks right now is just some guy instead of this credible LW who beat one of their most notable fighters not once but twice.

• 2 weeks later...

The next Glory show (sounds like a one time deal) will be on streaming live on ESPN3.com tomorrow at 4 p.m. EST. Then, it will replay on ESPN2 at 10:30 p.m. PST (1:30 a.m. EST) later on. Looks like a pretty good card too.

Not a bad deal if they could get it long term (from a fan perspective). I may watch it while at work tomorrow.

I think one of the problems (and probably what's keeping them alive based on what I've heard) is that they're doing shows in Europe. It's going to be hard to find a visible network when a good portion of their events are overseas. I think it would be different if kickboxing had a giant international following. However, kickboxing is still a super niche sport in most markets without a ton of recognizable stars. I think it would be a good replacement for Friday Night Fights since the PBC does their ESPN show on different days. I don't think they would mind being delayed by tennis, racing, and college basketball every and now then as long as it's still on ESPN2 in primetime.

However, if you're doing shows in Europe when everyone is still at work in the U.S., it limits the number of options of potential broadcast partners. That is unless they pick and choose which shows will be aired. Then, that would hurt the development of any potential stars stateside because there is a good chance you're not going to see them everytime out. Otherwise, they would be limited to channels like AWE and AXS TV. That would be okay if it was a small, regional promotion. However, Glory is (or was) paying their guys real coin. For a company that might be in financial trouble, that would not be the ideal situation..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just going to say! And Josh Copeland just got played to the cage by a choir of Russians in full military regalia singing Smells Like Teen Spirit (two lead singers and the rest of them awkwardly hummed along with the melody). Must see TV.

Edit: forgot to mention the main event features Rasul Mirzaev, who was convicted of negligent manslaughter! RUSSIAN MMA!

Edited by Oyaji

• 2 weeks later...