DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, RIZIN, AXS TV Live Event Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Go ahead and try :). For him, that's not too bad. I wonder how hard a promotion can ding him financially for doing that. Could you legally include a clause in his contract where he forfeits a huge percentage of his purse if he doesn't release a submission immediately when being told to do so by the referee?

I'll school him like Alan Belcher....*runs like fuck*. Toquinho has previous. That's a problem. I don't know if you could do a clause giving a fine if he doesn't release a hold. Shouldn't have to come to this.

That's my whole point. Ali is tweeting like this is some big thing, but they knew before what type of guy he is. Therefore, I can't big up them like they're so ahead of the game. I'm all for second chances, but I think under certain circumstances you have to be extremely careful. In this case, WSOF definitely didn't do that. The right thing to do would have been to wait until he had 3-4 fights and examine his behavior. Then, you go from there and tell him explicitly that behavior won't be tolerated. I know they're desperate for any type of name, but that desperation shouldn't justify signing people who have a myriad of problems. If they didn't sign the Mike Kyles, Thiago Silvas, and Anthony Johnsons of the world, it totally would have been justified. However, when you do sign people with a history, it's only your fault when shit like this happens. It's like I can't even be mad at Toquinho because people are giving him a platform on television to do this.

We're in agreement.

Good.

Care to give a quick rundown? I read a play by play and sounded like a trainwreck but would love to hear your thoughts.

Jake Shields wins the the first two rounds by lay and pray

Jake Shields gasses at the start of round 3 and starts getting beat up on the feet

Jake Shields shoots an ugly takedown

Toquinho grabs his arm during the attempt and then rolls with Jake's momentum into an awesome Kimura

Toquinho cranks his arm way behind his back, Jake taps, and Palhares holds on until Maz gets him off

Shields punches him after he lets go and the security have to hold Shields' corner back

Shields then bitches in the post fight interview about eye gouges

Ray Sefo looks dumbfounded behind everyone and doesn't know whether to be happy or sad

I am by no means a Jake Shields fan but when the guy taps you let go.

DVR ing Glory for the 1st time and will watch it later tonight.

So yeah, this show didn't well in the ratings. It only did 295k viewers. Between this and the rating for the show in France, Spike needs to decide on a specific timeslot and day for these Glory shows. They went from building solid momentum for every show when they started on Spike to....just killing all said momentum. What's the point of doing good shows if you're making sure no one is seeing them?

• 2 weeks later...

Leandro Higo, a legit bantamweight prospect who trains with the Pitbull Brothers and of course nicknamed "Pitbull", is making his US debut tonight in RFA against Terrion Ware. I believe a win could get him into the UFC or at least some serious UFC consideration for a roster spot. Bruno Korea subbed him on the last season of TUF Brazil. He should probably be a flyweight but he has had issues cutting weight.

Piggybacking on what's going on in the MMA Talk thread, I have to mention Scott Coker just forgot Marcin Held's name when discussing matches for the next big show after Dynamite. Held is fighting Will Brooks for their lightweight title. Oooof.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that Tonya Evinger is defending her Invicta bantamweight title versus Pannie "Sexy Scramble" Kianzad this Saturday night on Fight Pass. In addition, former 115 pound champ Katja Kankaanpää is fighting DeAnna Bennett in the co-main.

• Like 2

Don't forget that Tonya Evinger is defending her Invicta bantamweight title versus Pannie "Sexy Scramble" Kianzad this Saturday night on Fight Pass. In addition, former 115 pound champ Katja Kankaanpää is fighting DeAnna Bennett in the co-main.

Evinger and Kianzad both weighed in slightly over the 135 lb limit so the fight is now non-title.

So I take it that Cindy Dandois is going to fight Cyborg next. I would rather watch the winner of Evinger vs. Kianzad at a catchweight of 140 against Cyborg than Dandois get dismantled in under 30 seconds.

Thought it was a pretty good Invicta show with a lot of enjoyable fights. Frey/McCarthy and Jacobson/Moyle were both good, Aspen Ladd looked good. Andrea Lee looked great in her fight, on fire all the way through and great theme music too. Surprised but glad to see Bennett get the decision as she's one of my favorites. Katja Kankaanpaa has now announced her retirement. Another dominant performance from Evinger. Good to hear Souza/Grasso is still on and not far away.

I wonder where they're going to put that November show. UFC isn't running a show stateside during that month. The closest would be the show in Monterrey. You would think they would try to find a small venue there since Grasso is from Mexico, but that would necessitate Invicta using Mexican talent.

Foster's KO was nasty and Phoenix Jones somehow won with via leg scissors. Branch now has two titles as well.

Gaethje looks like Kyle O' Reilly and put on a hell of a fight. The Lightweight Tourney should be fun.

Chael on Color was pretty good and hopefully he will do other shows in the future.

Reminded me of WEC on Versus which I have a soft spot for.