DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, RIZIN, AXS TV Live Event Thread

Elsalvajeloco

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 6m

Knapp said they’ve already talked to the UFC about running on International Fight Week next year. Said this could be a regular thing.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani 5m

Shannon Knapp hints that they will do more of these show during UFC fight weeks.

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 4m

Knapp said Barb Honchak will be back from her injury in December. Likely Honchak vs. Vanessa Porto.

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 4m

Knapp said Amber Brown might have earned a shot at Hamasaki with her win tonight.

• Like 1

Loved Tonya/Irene, especially the first round.. awesome to see Irene escape the almost armbar there. Evinger has had a great streak. Thought that would get fight of the night but I really like Amy Montenegro so happy for her to get it. Enjoyed Hamasaki's win as well. Cyborg was even more dominant than the last time. Good show.

I was talking about the supposed Four Horsewoman. 

Ah, okay.

I believe Jordan Breen and Greg Savage had the right idea. They should be called Ronda's Flock.

• Like 1

Saw on the released salaries that Faith Van Duin was paid $6,000.  I know she had sponsors but still, that's crazy.  Even in "real life" money that is below average for two month's work (assuming that was about how long her camp was), never mind the fact she has to pay for trainers, coaches, insurance, etc.

I don't normally jump on the 'pay is bad' bandwagon as I figure it is up to fighters to eventually do something about it, it just seemed like a crazy low number for a main event fighter.  

Well, UFC is fronting Cyborg's purse. Otherwise, Invicta wouldn't be able to sustain having her under contract. Cyborg was over 60% of the reported payouts.

Faith Van Duin, on the other hand, is an Invicta contracted fighter who nobody really knows and wouldn't have that main event spot if Cyborg was with another promotion. On one hand, she would have crazy exposure if she somehow found that 0.00000000001% chance to beat Cyborg. But she didn't. So now she is back to fighting other girls with no name or possibly an opponent in the "rehab fight after being crushed viciously in a rehab fight" for Marina Shafir.

Oh I completely understand why she didn't make Cyborg bucks, but basically she made less money than I do and I am just an IT Technician in a hospital.  Just sucks for them that they work so hard and aren't really getting paid much of anything, that's all.

• Like 1

If she would've gotten that other 6k, she would have been the highest paid person other than Cyborg.

But yeah, if I could make 115 or 135, I would be trying my hardest to burn off fights on my Invicta contract.

Evinger, Aldana, Kianzad, Brown, and Moyle could all be in the UFC. Yet, they made $29,000 combined on this Invicta show. I think Conor made that just walking to the center of the cage against Mendes in the opening round. Shit, Mendes probably did too.

So One FC is heading to my neck of the woods this weekend, and despite saying last year that I'd go if they ever came here - I really can' be bothered. If they had managed at least one other feature fight I would have considered it but I can understand their new business model. When the majority of tickets are in the $5 - $10 range you can only do so much.

I'm not even sure they can be considered the number one org in Asia at this time. They lost their TV deal in Asia quite awhile ago, most likely a combination of the UFC/Fox deal and the regional sports channels being re-branded as Fox Sports Asia. This after One FC went on about their 10 year tv deal....which lasted a year or maybe two tops. All the while, UFC has been available on cheap cable packages going on 5+ years ( first ASN and now Fox Sports Asia ).

This show will be a total clusterfuck though. They've filled the entire card ( aside from Bibiano vs. Scandinavian guy ) with Myanmar lethwei fighters who have never done any mma before and very likely little mma training. I've spent a good amount of time training lethwei, obviously more for the fitness than any real aspiration to fight, and the "mma techniques" they've interspersed at times have been laughable at best.

• Like 2

You'll remember that SFL pulled that early on with the Sri Lankans, but that was when they also had foreign talent as well. Then, they just fell off the map after a handful of shows before using all domestic talent.

So I believe the business model for One FC is "if you're a foreigner, don't train in Asia, and cannot headline our shows, we have no place for you". I see that they just released James McSweeney, who was having a mini career turnaround with them. He called them out for not giving him fights on Facebook, and then they released him.

It makes me wonder how long can the other guys like Bibiano, Adriano Moraes, and Askren stay with them before they end up without a job.

Oh I completely understand why she didn't make Cyborg bucks, but basically she made less money than I do and I am just an IT Technician in a hospital.  Just sucks for them that they work so hard and aren't really getting paid much of anything, that's all.

Then she should become an IT Technician.  

does anyone even pay attention to OneFC anymore? i watched the first few cards, and read results and watched highlights up thru the mid teens (until about the time Askren showed up) but haven't even considered paying attention at all lately. almost no name recognition + mainly lighter weight divisions + zero hype anywhere = not a lot of interest.

I follow it enough to know who the champs are and whatnot. However, I am not watching something without any type of implications that happens between 5 am and 11 am my time. If it is something I want to see, I will watch it during the week like the random boxing matches I missed.

By the time I wake up and start my day though, there are already GIFs, Vines, and other stuff that pretty much negates watching their content. So it would have to be something amazing for me to take my time and search the further reaches of the internet to find it.

Lucky you. UFC events air at 8:30 am live here and usually on my weekly day-off ( Sunday ). Of course, if One FC aired at that time there would be no way that I'd be waking up for it either.

Honestly, who watches the One FC shows is probably just the people in whatever country they're running plus a minority of hardcore fans. I can't imagine that many people drop money for the ippv and, like I mentioned in my last post, they have zero coverage around Asia. I think they just link up with local networks, so when they run the Phillipines, the event is shown on a local tv channel there. Hence the serious downgrade in show quality. I can't remember what the last event that aired on tv here but it's been awhile.

re : their business plan - I have no idea. I think they'll try to hold on to the top, top international guys but like elsalva said, everyone else is probably expendable at this point. The big names lend the only credibility that the org has left. The bigger question is will those guys decide to stay on whenever their contracts expire.

To be fair, ticket prices in Malaysia and especially Singapore will be much higher than in China, Phillipines or Myanmar so they probably make a decent profit on those shows but I don't actually have any idea. Plus, in my time in Malaysia and Singapore I have seen a surprising amount of people wearing mma merchandise.

At least Page's squash matches are entertaining.

Any idea how many more fights Douglas Lima has on his contract?

Edit: wow, Lima looks like hot garbage through 2 rounds.

Edited by Oyaji

Did anybody else catch Titan 34 on Fight Pass? It lasted about 12 hours and had some pretty boring fights (particularly some of the 5-round wrestlefest title bouts) but in many ways felt like a time warp to the earlier MMA days. Guys getting seriously blown the fuck up pretty early on, Pele Landi getting knocked out because of his shitty defense, complete cans getting served up to prospects, and some sloppy but fun fights. Brett Johns was the reason I watched the show because he's a highly touted prospect. Unfortunately, he got a virus 24 hours before the weigh-in, came in over the limit, was stripped of his title, and yet still managed to win the fight via split decision (it wasn't that close). He also was limping at the weigh-in and about halfway through the fight he re-aggravated a knee injury from sparring a month prior to the fight. His wrestling and top control were very impressive seeming he won two rounds on one leg. He now gets an immediate rematch for his vacated title. The main event had Pat Healy do Pat Healy things (look terrible, have terrible defense, get hit in the head a lot but walk right through it and eventually grind out a greasy win). Marcus Edwards, his opponent, looked excellent through 1 and a 1/2 rounds but then went for a takedown and got KO'd via an awkward crucifix. He took the fight on 4 days notice and looked to have top drawer footwork and very impressive striking. Raphael Assuncao's brother, Freddy, won in what was a good fight but he said he blew out his ACL in the post-fight interview. 

Firas Zahabi was on commentary and made lots of good points but has awkward phrasing. Showdown Joe is a dork and was also part of the team. The camera crew was laughably bad. One guy kept putting his finger over part of the lens, lol.

I was able to catch a few bouts into between watching boxing. I don't know if there is a strong, rational reason as to why, but they just feel like a cash strapped promotion that can only afford to have Strikeforce, UFC, Bellator, and WEC vets because ____ vet doesn't mean much anymore. The FP show did feel like a time warp, but it feels like that era in non-UFC North American MMA between 1999 and 2002. Some of that could be the fact that I saw the Pele fight, and he looked ancient, quite antiquated, and almost mummified. His IVC stance from 1997 also had me in stitches.

The cage mat looked like something you would see in at an Iowa Challenge or something. It was like they had a bunch of Walmart plastic bags spray painted gray, glued some sponsors down, and put it down as a fighting surface.

The 25 thousand fights a card thing is something that I would definitely cut down on, but they also owe people fights I'm safely assuming. I don't think they're going to be the promotion that does bi-monthly cards and definitely not bi-weekly cards that Legacy and RFA are seemingly doing. If they only hold a card every three or so months, this is what you can look forward to.