DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, Glory, Invicta, Titan, RIZIN, AXS TV Live Event Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin
On 5/6/2016 at 2:20 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

With Sherwood gone (not like he had a ton of power before he got fired anyway but still), Sherdog is basically devolved into your run-of-the-mill MMA/boxing aggregate site with opinion pieces. Before the Crave locked everything down, they would basically wait until they got 2-3 sources before they ran anything. 

Do you have any background details about what happened? It was weird seeing him randomly Tweet he was gone. Not that really matters, but it's weird seeing him gone considering he was the founder or one of the founders I believe.

It's basically what you think. He wasn't at liberty to speak on it based on agreements he had signed, but he said on the last show he did it is basically what people have been saying. Crave owns Sherdog so it basically has been pushed in a direction that I believe he wasn't happy with. I based that on the fact Sherwood has always been outspoken and opinionated especially when it came to MMA media. I remember years ago (this had to be back in like 08 or 09) he was on radio talking about MMA websites being news aggregation websites. Shit, he called MMA Weekly "MMA Copy and Paste". So now with him being relegated to just being a radio guy and another employee of a site he created, it's not like he could say anything. Sherdog just had a radio reboot a couple weeks ago (which including him being fired). Maybe it could be conjecture, but when a site started as a haven for hardcore MMA fans, it's hard watching it turn into a clickbait sports website following in the direction of the websites you hate.

Bloody Elbow was on that guy's nuts a few years back, saying he's one of the best prospects outside of the UFC. Only 22 years of age too.

Goodness gracious, that was a sharp strike. I thought it was an elbow initially because it was in so close.

On 5/10/2016 at 5:01 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's basically what you think. He wasn't at liberty to speak on it based on agreements he had signed, but he said on the last show he did it is basically what people have been saying. Crave owns Sherdog so it basically has been pushed in a direction that I believe he wasn't happy with. I based that on the fact Sherwood has always been outspoken and opinionated especially when it came to MMA media. I remember years ago (this had to be back in like 08 or 09) he was on radio talking about MMA websites being news aggregation websites. Shit, he called MMA Weekly "MMA Copy and Paste". So now with him being relegated to just being a radio guy and another employee of a site he created, it's not like he could say anything. Sherdog just had a radio reboot a couple weeks ago (which including him being fired). Maybe it could be conjecture, but when a site started as a haven for hardcore MMA fans, it's hard watching it turn into a clickbait sports website following in the direction of the websites you hate.

Sounds a lot like Nikki Finke and Deadline.  She won like the Hollywood Insider blog war, then Deadline went corporate and lost that unique flair that Finke gave it.  

Those are the pros and cons of getting a corporate backer or falling under the control of a corporate owner.

It's very symbolic of the shifts in MMA popularity. When it was Sherwood and a handful of folks back he hired in the late 90s/early 00s, it was easier to be that website with the FightFinder, the discussion forums, and selling merch/DVDs. Then, trying to expand with UFC getting super hot and being one of the first on the radio thing after Eddie Goldman and Eyada. Then, 3-4 years later where there was just a talent raid and folks migrated to the major non-MMA websites. The bubble bursts and websites are kinda scrambling to survive. Now, you have major conglomerates getting rid of folks across the board. UFC is super popular again, but the novelty of MMA coverage is gone now. Thus, in order to get page views, you have to run stories about what socks Conor McGregor is currently wearing and who challenged what boxing champion.

Looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Shit, clearly. Boxing is running the same ridiculous stuff that MMA sites are running now. Tyson Fury talking about fighting in Bellator qualifies as content now for boxing websites. Mayweather talking about fighting Conor McGregor is where it's at. People talk about how silly this stuff is yet they're forced to run it because people click on it.

That and you get ESPN getting rid of Grantland and saying they're not going to discuss it any further. You have Jason Whitlock getting fired before even starting "black" Grantland. You have that long form debacle with SB Nation a few months back where some guest writer was defending a convicted rapist. Obviously, you have layoffs out the wazoo whether it's online and/or print. It's bloodshed everywhere.

• Like 1

Davis won the fight in my eyes I posted that after watching the fight this morning.

Davis had the fight won in the 3rd round with a crazy reversal into a Kimura but somehow Mo was able to get out of it to the surprise of the announce team.

I was baffled by the decision, especially hearing 30-27 from two. Thought Mo easily won the first round clearly and seemed to be landing more throughout. The submission attempt in the third was nice but Mo escaping it was most impressive.

so, i just read this article on sherdog:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/With-Knee-at-Full-Strength-Georgi-Karakhanyan-Ready-for-Pat-Curran-at-Bellator-155-105231

and it upset me.

Georgi Karakhanyan is one of those fighters who does most everything well within the throes of combat.

He’s beaten 24 of the 30 men he’s faced as a professional, and he’s one of the best fighters in one of the world’s most powerful MMA promotions. He’s also been on the cusp of fighting for a world title for about two years but he hasn’t yet been able to breach the summit of that proverbial mountain.
he's been "on the cusp" of a title shot for almost two years? he WON the WSOF FW title in december of 2013 and lost it in june of 2014 (his first defense)
then he joined Bellator, where in this run he is 1-1, and coming off a loss. hell, his overall Bellator record is 3-3.

i like the guy, but let's not pretend that he's some worldbeater that has never been given a shot. he's been in (and lost) in two previous Bellator tournaments. Granted, in both tourneys he lost to the eventual winner, but don't play that off like he's never had an opportunity. if the hype you're trying to build is based on straight up bullshit, then your reporting stinks.

and i won't even get into the folly of calling Bellator "one of the world's most powerful MMA promotions"  i mean, it's probably technically true, but in the same way that TNA is a powerful pro wrestling promotion.

On the cusp could mean a lot of things though. If that writer takes it to mean that he is always one fight away from a title shot, then those tournament fights could count.

I mean Bisping for example was always on the cusp on a title shot. It's just that timing and certain opponents were in the way. It just took him 26 fights (I believe that is the greatest # of fights before a UFC title shot) and an injury at the right time. I think Karakhanyan shouldn't have been cut from WEC, but I think he benefits from being one those fighters who is in a small pond. Outside the auspices of Zuffa, he can submit a bunch of mid level opposition or potential prospects. He is talented for sure, but I think his role is going to be basically a glorified gatekeeper. If you can beat him, you can probably handle yourself against a good number of top 25-30 featherweights.

As for the writing, I think that kinda typifies some of the glossy, superlative driven writing you will see on Sherdog. Usually, it's only in like listicles or certain retrospectives they've done in the past. I'm not a big fan of either, but I'm sorta use to it by now. Plus, I really don't read opinions pieces or things of that nature on that website anyway.

For his middleweight title fight in Venator FC, Mayhem Miller missed weight by 24 pounds. The fight is off.

The consequences of being an outlaw promotion are on full display.

Guest Edwin

He's still on the card. Miller was set to fight UFC vet Luke Barnatt at 185 lbs. When Miller missed weight, the promoter rescheduled Miller to fight Italian Mattia Schiavolin (12-2-2) at 205 lbs. and Barnatt to fight Moldovan Stefan Croitoru (6-1-1) at 185 lbs. Schiavolin and Croitoru were originally scheduled to fight each other at 185 lbs. before Miller missed weight and they changed the fights around. Barnatt had originally won the VFC middleweight title from Schiavolin at VFC 2.

Mayhem also said he came in at that weight because he thought he was originally scheduled to face Josh Barnett, not Luke Barnatt... Or at least that's what I've read he said, so I can't confirm if there's any truth to that.

Also when the promoter informed Miller he had missed weight by 24 lbs., he took off his shorts and re-weighed himself as if it that was going to make that much of a difference...

Guest Edwin

My main thing against Miller, is that he's not as crazy as he tries to make himself come across. Bas Rutten said after an interview with him, that he was completely normal when the cameras were off, but that he acted crazy when the cameras were on.

He did the same that one time Ariel Helwani had him on the MMA Fighting Podcast years ago promoting that one awful (or at least it seemed awful to me) MMA movie he was in. He acted in the movie character all interview and then left during the interview. A couple of days later Ariel interviewed him again and he was acting normal.

1 hour ago, grizzlyedwin said:

My main thing against Miller, is that he's not as crazy as he tries to make himself come across. Bas Rutten said after an interview with him, that he was completely normal when the cameras were off, but that he acted crazy when the cameras were on.

He did the same that one time Ariel Helwani had him on the MMA Fighting Podcast years ago promoting that one awful (or at least it seemed awful to me) MMA movie he was in. He acted in the movie character all interview and then left during the interview. A couple of days later Ariel interviewed him again and he was acting normal.

That's the whole thing about being crazy though. You don't have to be nutty 24/7 to be crazy. You can have people say, "Well, last week he was cool.". However, when you have other people close to him say the exact opposite, that is when it doesn't matter. There are journalists and fighters who have gone on record saying that there is something seriously wrong with him. Either that or they (people who go back with him to the early days of his career) have grown apart from him during the whole time he has been in and out trouble.

• Like 1