DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: TARZAN GOTO

RIPPA

July 6 is a really fucking packed day wrestling history wise. In theory - I could pick Vince McMahon since it is his birthday but I might need him for a theme later. There are other folks who have birthdays today but alone I care (I still love you Black Buffalo)

But you also had GAB 85 and Canadian Stampede happened today not to mention Goldberg beating Hogan for the title.

Still the best event was WAR's 5th Anniversary card that had Tenryu vs. Fucking Tarzan Boy of all people so here we are. Wait... what... Tarzan Boy. That can't be right.

http://youtu.be/xjcAR8rwZkc

Ummm... that is Tarzan Goto. Boy when IWD gets something wrong it gets it wrong in a spectacular way (See this link to see if I am lying - http://www.profightdb.com/cards/war/5th-anniversary-show-16172.html)

Well I haven't done Goto before (supposedly) so let's run with it.

http://youtu.be/74ZwNQvEI5w

http://youtu.be/Mi9Z9CiXzr0

• Like 1

Remember when y'all called him Tarzan Scroto and hated on him? Yeah that sure changed...

Three parts, follow the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBIV13dG7Hw

Nakamaki screaming is still freaky. God that is disgusting. Oh and this is missing the part where Goto berates and beats the shit out of X afterwards. Who the hell was X, anyway? I'm leaning towards Winger.

• Like 1

Wish the Onita/Goto vs Tenryu/Hara match was online somewhere, because that was super great. Watch that and you'll come around on Goto big time.

My half assed attempt to find Goto reviews

Dean - #170

Atsushi Onita/ Tarzan Goto vs. Jerry Flynn/ Mitsuhiro Matsunaga - Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling (12/10/1989)

HEY! THAT's JERRY FLYNN! (Ed Note: Tom says this isn't Jerry Flynn but it is actually Jerry Blaymon and that they don't look like the same person.) He's in a barbed-wire match! Goto is still tiny. I'm guessing in June 1990, he got married to an Italian lady and moved next door to a Hardee's (Yes, that IS my excuse.) Flynn kicks Onita around a bunch and... WAIT. THAT'S MATSUNAGA? He looks like he's TEN. He does kick Onita dead in the face. Goto is godlike with the stiffness and beats the dogshit out of Flynn. God, King Of Danger doesn't even have scar tissue yet. Tarzan Goto looks like Brent Allbright and I laugh love's easy laugh. Flynn's kicks suck in this but you don't notice because ONITA RIPS HIS WHOLE FUCKING ARM OPEN. GUUUUUUH-ROSS! Oh man, fucking INSANE. He still uses it to hit a blood-drenched lariat. Goto tags in and he and Matsunaga beat the hell out of each other. Flynn eats a Goto elbow straight to the teeth and takes some ugly and hateful headbutts before tagging in KoD and the beatings resume. Goto fucking CRUSHES KoD's skull with a headbutt and Flynn tags in and finally hits a decent kick. Onita is flailing around the apron a bloody mess before goto headbutts to tag. Onita whips out the Backdrop Driver and the THUNDAH FIYAH POWAHBOMB HOLDOH! for the KNOCKOUT! Onita was fucking awesome.

Dean - #4

- I watched the 8/28/94 FMW show (Scott rules!) and it had some pretty hip things on it. The Hayabusa/Sabu match was pretty great if really disjointed, but it is definately official- Billy Kidman has the best Shooting Star Press in the world. The match that impressed me the most is the Tarzan Goto/Ooya match which had vestigal garbage elements in it (YEP!) but it was basically Ooya ruling like a MotherF*cker and still jobbing to the over-the-hill Goto. Ooya is the most overlooked wrestler in Japan and should be a superstar already. I don't know what Keiji Mutoh and Chosyu were bitching about when it came to the garbage organizations. I can understand someone saying IWA is pretty crappy from a technical standpoint (except for Silver King, who can work circles around anybody on earth) but FMW has plenty of good wrestlers. I'd much rather watch a Masato Tanaka match than another Masa Chono snoozefest. Matasunaga and Kanemura have to rely on the chairs and barbed wire, but Hayabusa, Tanaka, Hisakatsu Ooya, Koji Nakagawa and even the Gladiator on a good day can produce great, technically sound matches. I've seen them! Plus FMW's women's division in conjunction with GAEA is producing the most interesting women's wrestling to me at this point in time, especially with the enigmatic presence of Chigusa amd the trailblazing of KAORU. (Added points for Matsunaga wearing the ass-stomping "W*ING, KING OF DANGER!" black longsleeve t-shirt during death matches. I fell out!)

Dean - #13 (video posted above)

The other FMW match was the incredibly choice Tarzan Goto/Atsushi Onita/El Hijo Del Santo vs Horance(sic) Boulder/Negro Casas/Mark Starr (not THAT Mark Starr). It was great because neither promotion conceded anything to the other's style, so Onita kicked the hell out of Boulder (who is four times the wrestler his uncle is) all around the arena while Casas and Santo kind of stand around in ring waiting for the actual match to start. Santo steals the show as he hits all of his acrobatic highspots, including one I had never seen before- A Spinning Armdrag Directly into the 2" from the Cornerpost Tope. Negro Casas did the best La Majistral I've ever seen. Onita was Onitalike- bleeding, pouring water on his head, staying intense. Goto had little impact on the match. The rest of the tape was old guys who suck now against young who suck because they are so green, which is what you need to produce the stars of tomorrow.

Schneider - #79 (video posted above)

Dan Severn vs Tarzan Goto: 

Since both these guys are bad at professional wrestling, you would expect them to have a bad professional wrestling match. However, this wasn't terrible. They did a mat wrestling section, which flowed into a decent brawling section, which flowed into an okay near fall section. This was kind of like that pretty good Rayo De Jalisco Jr. v. Steele match from EMLL, both guys worked with in themselves and put out the best effort they could give. Severn gets on the mike for some post match comments and sounds like the worlds toughest shootstyle drag queen.

Dean - #141 (video posted above)

Genichiro Tenryu vs. Tarzan Goto 

This had no business being as enjoyably watchable as it was. I mean its Tarzan Goto who I don?t recall ever liking. Plus, Tenryu isn?t afraid to torture us all with some of his performances. I was expecting crowd brawling, crowd brawling, some bleeding and then some more crowd brawling. Instead, they contain themselves to the ring and to the wrestling. Tarzan scares us all by doing some basic takedowns. This one of those cases where really fat guy does some wrestling and it is enjoyable but doesn?t make one great. But that is a whole different kind of rant. Early story is that Goto catches Tenryu trying an enziguri and starts to maim Tenryu?s foot. Right down to ripping off his boot and stomping away on the unprotected foot. Goto throws a really great looking elbow drop. This is so confusing. The boot eventually gets tossed to the crowd forcing Tenryu to wrestle the rest of the match bootless which is a really bizarre visual. I kinda kept thinking maybe that was a look that Hardbody Harrison should have tried. Tenryu transition to offense by using a series of kicks with his injured foot is bothersome. Then we get the Heyman storyline of the night. As Goto tries to break a bottle on Tenryu, he is prevented by the ref. This leads to a ref bump and the ref getting the bottle smashed on his head. Tenryu is all ?we don?t need no ref? and Goto is all ?bring it on, old man? and then someone I should immediately recognize but it is late and I am tired grabs the bloody ref shirt and is all ? Let?s get is on motherfuckers.? Headbutts and chops are exchanged wearing each man down but neither can get a victory. Neither wrestler bleeds, which is fairly shocking considering the amount of scare tissue each guy is sporting. The dead ref is back in the ring and the bad looking powerbombs begin. So so many. It takes about five, bur Tenryu is finally about to get the win. Despite the many flaws, still one of the best Goto matches I have ever seen. Which should act as an indicator of the fat man?s career. 

I'm trying to recall some gossip I was told a few years ago. I know he was married to Despina Montagas, but I'm not sure if he still is. Anyway, he had some kids that lived over here or something. Could be wrong of course, hence GOSSIP~! Digging some more it looks like they got divorced in 1998. There's a Despina Goto vs Masaji Goto case record listing that, his real name is Masaji not Seiji like places list. Weird the shit you find. BAHU'd be more up on that kind of sleaze than I would. I think they had some kids who he probably would never see.

We need a theme week from Phil of nothing but shitty wrestlers that are ex-sumos, not the good ones like Tenryu. Guys like Daikokubo Benkei and Hiroshi Wajima and that ilk. There's a bunch out there now, Inoki has several. Would give an excuse to post Hiroshi Wajima vs Tom Magee, yes, that happened.

The match with Dan Severn is the very epitome of "better than it had any right to be". On a night full of bloody brawls, this was the only one where I thought they adequately sold that the opponents disliked each other; in most of the others, it was just your average "okay, you sit right there and poke your head up THAT way, and I'll take this barbed wire and wrap it around something and hit you THIS way, and somehow we killed an entire minute just setting up this one spot". Severn wildly hurling an infinite number of chairs at a broken-bottle-swinging Goto felt like two guys in a for-real bar fight. Goto was often not much more than a slow fat blade-happy chump and Severn was sadly one of those legit-sports athletes who never quite figured out how all this "working" stuff was supposed to go, but somehow they clicked really well on this night.

• Like 1

Moar Goto. My take on the 1994 MOTY (#114):

ATSUSHI ONITA/TARZAN GOTO vs. GENICHIRO TENRYU/ASHURA HARA- WRESTLE AND ROMANCE-3/2/94, Tokyo Sumo Hall)- (PETE STEIN)

The brief FMW-WAR, well, war, kicked off  with this INSANELY hot tag match highlighted by the "first confrontation" between Onita and Tenryu.  Match starts off with Goto trying to pull something good out of the worthless Hara, but Goto immediately realizes that it's a lost cause and deposits Hara on the floor where all four briefly go at it.  Tenryu tags in but Goto drops him with a Kunze Armbar mutation and Tenryu tags Hara back in.  Onita tags in for the first time and Hara tags in Tenryu- POP!!!  Tenryu and Hara start to go nuts on Onita, who blades about a zillion times off Hara's headbutts and a post job, and Tenryu joins the fun by giving the cut some dick kicks while Onita lies on the apron.  It's funny because Tenryu's working heel in his own group against the INDY SCUM from FMW... it gets even funnier as Onita slaps a figure-four on Tenryu only for Hara to work the cut over some more to NUCLEAR heat.  Onita finally ducks a corner charge from Hara and tags Goto who chops Hara's chest raw.  Onita tags back in and hits a FUCKING MISSILE DROPKICK on Hara- I don't think he'd hit one of those in at least 10 years.   Tenryu tags back in and he and Hara hit a sandwich lariat on Onita.  Tenryu follows with the powerbomb, but Goto breaks up the pin and Tenryu replies by destroying him on the floor.  He starts to climb back in, but Onita's recovered and plants him with a DDT as he steps through the ropes.  Hara tags back in, but while he and Onita go at it Goto sneaks around and CRUSHES Tenryu with a chairshot.  Goto heads back in and trades lariats with Hara, then tags Onita in who hits a backdrop on Hara.  Goto follows with a splash off the top, Onita adds a top-rope headbutt to Hara's ribcage and Hara starts to sell the ribs like crazy.  Tenryu isn't gonna be much help, as he's juicing off the Goto chairshot and out on his feet.  Onita hits a second backdrop, but Hara finally makes the tag to Tenryu and heads to the floor to have his ribs taped up.  Tenryu hits the enzuigiri and the top-rope elbow, but Goto saves Onita.  Tenryu gives Goto some "IHATEYOU IHATEYOU IHATEYOU!" punches, but Goto tosses him out, clears the announcers' table and gives Tenryu a face-first piledriver on the table.  Goto tosses him back inside, where Onita hits a DDT and follows with the TFPB.  Tenryu kicks out and Hara tries to save him, but he gets tossed back out and both Onita and Goto ram him ribs-first into the post.  Tenryu tries to come back with a pair of enzuigiris, but Onita no-sells the second one and sets Tenryu up for another top-rope splash from Goto.  Tenryu comes back with a lariat and charges Goto on the apron, but Goto kicks him right in the face and Onita hits a backdrop for 2.  Tenryu comes back with a koppo kick slaps on an abdominal stretch while Hara tries to restrain Goto, but Goto gets away and hits an enzuigiri(!) on Tenryu to break the hold.  Tenryu ducks a second enzuigiri try, but in doing so he sets himself up in TFPB position for Onita, who drops Tenryu on his head on the first try but hits it on the second for the win at 19 minutes.  Really fun Onita match, as he and Goto were working their asses off and the crowd was collectively wetting themselves for everything.  I never want to see Hara again and I shudder to think how huge of a problem he had that Giant-fricking-Baba couldn't even cover up for him... 

Hara is way better than Pete thinks, check his WOTD thread. 

Speaking of shitty ex-sumos, did we ever do Koji Kitao? 

Goto was in some really weird stuff over the years. The first Exploding Electrified Cage Match:

Karate vs. Wrestling:

Handicap match against the freakin' ELIMINATORS?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oEZxnD4G5o

And here is a match I personally uploaded just because it is so witheringly violent of an old-school brawl. A must-watch:

EDIT: Here's DEAN's review of the above

Tarzan Goto/ Atsushi Onita vs Dragonmaster/ Masanobu Kurisu - Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling (4/1/1990)
Dragonmaster is Kendo Nagasaki so my I am torqued about the degree of possibility of assbeating in this. Let's crank up the VLC machine and watch this little baby, shall we? Onita enters confused and pissed, like all good deathmatches should start. Onita topes Kendo who reacts as if he has no idea of the concept of a tope which makes it truly awesome. Kendo flies through an entire section of chairs and then stands up BRAWLS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER. Maaaaaaan, Kendo Nagasaki is the great lost brawler of Puro. the punches are fucking AWWWWWESOME. KENDO IS AWWWESSSSOOME. He beats the dogshit out of Goto and it FUCKING RULES. Kendo fucking SLAUGHTERS Goto with a chair and then they start beating the shit out of each other in the ring. Kendo bumps to the floor and Goto goes after Kendo and this is truly why YOU watch pro wrestling. Onita and Kurisu opt to enter the match and both decide for the less strenuous "Bleed a Bucket But Let Goto Deal With Nagasaki" route. Kendo with the HIDEOUSLY GNARLEY Piledriver. Kurisu can take being upstaged by Kendo no longer and just CRUSHES Goto's skull with headbutts and blood is now flying all over the place. Jesus, Onita has to have the singular experience of saying, "At one point in my life, I was being simultaneously beaten to death by Kendo Nagasaki and Masanobu Kurisu! God, that sucked an ass!" For him. For us, it is fucking beautiful Professional Wrestling. Kurisu kicking Goto in the teeth with cowboy boots is soooo fucking great. Kendo is awesome beating Goto and Onita with a chair while Onita and Goto try to cover the other up. That is your story, Our friendship will WILL us to fight back with fighting spirit and THUS Goto and Onita go on offense. Onita isolates Kurisu and hits Thunder Fire Powerbombs for the win while Goto tries to keep Kendo from slaughtering the first 8 rows. POSSIBLY THE GREATEST THING ON EARTH. KENDO NAGASAKI IS YOUR OWN PERSONAL JESUS.