DVDVR Message Board

Also, I just now remember someone said Speed Racer, and what the FUCK? That's one of the WORST-looking films I've ever seen in my life. A garish, painfully candy-coated whirlwind of shitty CGI and some of the most horrible transitions I've ever seen in my life.

"Candy-coated whirlwind" describes it pretty well. I don't know how that phrase could possibly be used in a derogatory fashion.

It is very trippy:

tumblr_nqzb7vzGAD1ut5zb9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mws4t2n1hw1stxcmio1_540.jpg

The opening sequence of Inglorious Basterds is probably the best bit of cinematography that Tarantino has ever incorporated in a movie.

Plus, that opening shot with that score is pretty damned gorgeous.

• Like 1

The opening sequence of Inglorious Basterds is probably the best bit of cinematography that Tarantino has ever incorporated in a movie.

Plus, that opening shot with that score is pretty damned gorgeous.

I'm dying to see the The Hateful Eight teaser so I can look at whatever the hell QT and Robert Richardson have conjured up.

the-newest-photos-of-tarantino-s-the-hat

the-newest-photos-of-tarantino-s-the-hat

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Natural Born Killers

I always thought Stone intentionally made it garish to look at. It's visually striking of course, but not necessarily in a good way, IMO.

I would put JFK on this list, though. It's still probably the best edited film I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Natural Born Killers

I always thought Stone intentionally made it garish to look at. It's visually striking of course, but not necessarily in a good way, IMO.

I would put JFK on this list, though. It's still probably the best edited film I've ever seen.

Yeah that's a very good way to put it.  It's not visually beautiful, but it's visually psychotic and schizophrenic. It fits with the theme of the movie so well the way Stone throws in those subliminal images that I think it accomplishes the effect he was going for perfectly.

Oh, shit, if anime is in the conversation 

AKIRA

I don't know if we want to count animated movies here, but I've always found Miyazaki films to be stunning to look at.  They definitely have their own unique charm.

Mononoke Hime and Akira were two of the few examples of Japanese animation that had a breathtaking sense of scale, depth, and mass.  Things that were supposed to be huge looked like they were actually huge..

Masters of Horror note: Imprint and Cigarette Burns both look great, especially when you factor in they likely had rather crappy budgets. The brothel in Imprint is particularly stunning. 

Masters of Horror note: Imprint and Cigarette Burns both look great, especially when you factor in they likely had rather crappy budgets. The brothel in Imprint is particularly stunning. 

Holy shit, but Miike's work on Imprint reminds me that his short piece for Three... Extremes, Box, is far more visually stunning than Imprint.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally random, but I think the reason Dark City endures is that it represents the Batman: TAS, Burton-esque '40s neo noir everyone would like to escape into. It loses its steam when the guy tries to escape and all the alien stuff happens and then in the end we realized things are going to change.

Amazing setting, but I wonder what would have happened if the plot had went in a different direction. 

That's what Ebert loved it about. The ideas.

It would have probably made an amazing TV show, in retrospect. 

That's what Ebert loved it about. The ideas.

The visuals weren't too shabby either, especially considering that Inception blatantly stole half of its "innovative" eye candy from Dark City and wasn't even TRYING to hide it.