DVDVR Message Board

Chinatown for the tone, Jack Nicholson's ever changing attire and Faye Dunaway's eyebrows.

Leon the Professional for the lighting, the plant and Gary Oldman taking his pills.

Hook because of the huge amounts of non cgi pirates.

Bram Stoker's Dracula immediately came to mind for some reason. I know, I know.

Yes, we know, it's awesome.

For quality without quantity, Aronofsky's debut film Pi managed to put together a smorgasbord of awesome eye candy on a budget of about tree-fiddy.

Also, I just now remember someone said Speed Racer, and what the FUCK? That's one of the WORST-looking films I've ever seen in my life. A garish, painfully candy-coated whirlwind of shitty CGI and some of the most horrible transitions I've ever seen in my life.

Also, I just now remember someone said Speed Racer, and what the FUCK? That's one of the WORST-looking films I've ever seen in my life. A garish, painfully candy-coated whirlwind of shitty CGI and some of the most horrible transitions I've ever seen in my life.

"Candy-coated whirlwind" describes it pretty well. I don't know how that phrase could possibly be used in a derogatory fashion.

• Like 1

Post Matrix, the Wachowskis have a spotty record. Never saw Speed Racer and never will, but it looks pretty awful. Then Cloud Atlas was pretty damn nice aesthetically if you discount stuff like white Halle Berry (well as opposed to IRL half white Halle Berry) looking a bit unintentionally scary. Then, Jupiter Ascending looked and was the drizzling shits in all aspects.

Bram Stoker's Dracula immediately came to mind for some reason. I know, I know.

Yes, we know, it's awesome.

My psuedo-apology was because I'm such a horror fan that I immediately thought of that instead of any drama, because yeah it is awesome. And keeping on that tip, regardless of what you think about the actual film, something else that looks absolutely awesome (scenery/locations/makeup/costumes/lighting, everything):

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

It says BEST looking. Not prettiest.

And I think Scarface is a strong nominee for period setpieces, color, costumes, and camerawork too.