DVDVR Message Board

T2 is still pretty amazing looking. Like, the cgi/puppet combinations still hold up, way better than cgi even a decade newer.

It is showing it's age in a few spots, but damn.

Cameron is no stranger to visually stunning films.

As much as I dislike the second half of MoS, and dislike the pallet chosen for much of the film, it is a stunningly good looking film. Which has always been Snyder's strong point. Sucker Punch might be even more amazing to look at, totally divorced from plot and character.

I've never seen Sucker Punch. I don't think I could get into it.  And it doesn't just have mixed reviews..  it has terrible reviews. But yes, T2 is a fucking amazing movie.  It has to be the best action/sci-fi film ever. I never get tired of it.

Others.. 

The Social Network

Zodiac

Public Enemies

My faves

130902ddtkids.jpg

The Tree of Life: I tried to limit myself to one Terrence Malick so I went with this one, because I watch it endlessly whenever it's on and it somehow makes me nostalgic for a period of time I didn't know.

mqdefault.jpg

All the Real Girls: This is basically David Gordon Green trying to make a Malick film, so he filmed nearly everything during the golden hour so most of the film has this gorgeous sun-dappled quality to it.

sister-maria_the-great-beauty.jpg?w=610

The Great  Beauty: Just saw this recently for the first time.  Beautiful Italian locations.

silent-light.jpg

Silent Light: There is very little dialogue in this one, but the it's just amazingly beautiful.  The first five minutes are basically watching the night sky turn to dawn and watching the sun come up.

spirit-of-the-beehive.png

The Spirit of the Beehive: I believe the story I remember reading about this one is that the DP was losing his sight, so he decided to put every beautiful image he could think of in the movie as a sort-of post-vision collection of beauty.  Or was that 'Days of Heaven'?  Maybe it was both.  Regardless, they're both absolutely beautiful.

I've never seen Sucker Punch. I don't think I could get into it. And it doesn't just have mixed reviews.. it has terrible reviews. But yes, T2 is a fucking amazing movie. It has to be the best action/sci-fi film ever. I never get tired of it.

Others..

The Social Network

Zodiac

Public Enemies

I liked Sucker Punch but u can't really explain why beyond the visuals. But holy hell it's visually stunning.

As long as we count the original Terminator and Alien both as sci-fi/action/horror and T2 as just sci-fi/action, I agree with you. But even then I'm quibbling.

And I'm down playing Aliens which belongs right in this discussion as well.

Then there's the aforementioned Blade Runner which is kinda sci-fi action but also kind of a noir...

It's one of my very favorite subgenres is what I'm saying.

The palette of Man of Steel didn't bother me in the theater. Now watching on television? It totally does a little bit.

I believe the guy who did The Great Beauty also did the upcoming Paolo Sorrentino movie Youth. That also looks tremendous.

Paris, Texas.

Chungking Express.

Happy Together.

28 Days Later, just for the visual of the most crowded bit of the most crowded city in England completely deserted of people.

This far into beautiful looking films and no one mentions Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon yet?  And while it bored the crap out of me, Brokeback Mountain was pretty good looking too.

Also, Hero, and the way it changed palate's with every different version of the story Nameless told.

Most of the aughts artsy martial arts movies were very pretty.

• Like 1

Life of Pi was pretty spectacular.

I have to second Gravity, especially if you watched it in IMAX 3D.  That is the most immersive movie going experience I've ever had.

T2 and Jurassic Park were the best looking special effects for at least a decade.  I remember when Blu Ray first came out and I was trying to find something to wow me on my new setup.  T2 was by far the best thing I watched, and it wasn't really much of a competition. 

Three pages and not one of y'all muthafuckas has yet mentioned Apocalypse Now, the most beautifully-lit film ever made? Every frame of this movie looks like an oil painting.

Children of Men definitely had the best camera moves I've ever seen, and the most awesomely subtle and hard-to-notice CGI effects. And while Gravity's 3D was very very good, it still wasn't quiiiiiite as great as what was going on over in Avatar.

• Like 1

I almost did, but went with Gravity instead. His Harry Potter movie is the best looking of that series as well.

It definitely is. But all of the ones except the first two have pretty damn good cinematography and interesting pallets.