DVDVR Message Board

G1 Climax 25

Chaos

I need to find some Tenryu matches in the last 2 or 3 years because while I am very intrigued by the match against Okada I don't see why people are losing their minds over it.   I guess this is kind of like New Japan's version of Rock vs Hogan if Hogan was 10 years older and the Rock was 5 years younger.  

Granted Tenryu of 5 years ago definitely 10 years ago would make this match incredible. 

Not even one Cena vs Orton match came near the quality those two produce though!

Sheamus ... I think he's a better wrestler then Tanahashi or Okada.

Ignored!

Super grumpy Tenryu vs Okada will be interesting, but as you wrote, I would have loved WM 7 era Tenryu vs Okada.

The last 3 shows were great.  The final match was a great match, but really as a guy who only really followed the big NJPW matches over the last 2 or 3 years I like the G1 and seeing a bunch of "new talent" for me.  I hated Naito coming in to this thing, and right now he is possibly my favorite wrestler in the world.  So great.  Shibata was awesome throughout this all, Elgin, and the usual crew.  Lots of good to great matches.  I'm pretty happy with G1 Climax 25.  

• Like 1

People are weird.  That was Tanahashi and Nakamura's first singles match in over a year, yes two aces of a company will occasionally face off against each other, how would they not? It would be more ridiculous for two wrestlers in the Top 5 in a promotion to never have a match just because they have wrestled before.  I mean the pair have now had seven singles matches in the last five years, its not exactly over the top. 

The reddit-speak that it is the Cena/Orton of Japan is stupid too while we are at it.  LIke Tanahashi/Nakamura, Cena/Orton have only had seven (by my count) televised singles matches in the last five years so its not exactly an over-done feud. How two talented wrestlers facing off once a year makes it 'bland' is beyond me, wrestling fans can be ridiculous people.

• Like 5

New Japan needs new stars. So they have two of their three established stars face each other for a shot at the third star. That is why it's stupid. It's time to elevate people, not to maintain the status quo. 

In the results defense, if we don't get Gedo'ed, the end game of this tourny win is Okada *finally* taking the "Ace" mantle of Tanahashi and becoming THE MAN at Wrestle Kingdom and we can move on.  So I'm not annoyed at the result.

The match was still boring the might be the worst match the two have had against each other.  I'd be willing to write it all off to Nakamura's elbow being whacked, but that doesn't excuse Tanahashi reverting to move-spamming mode.  Just because it's Tanahashi and Nakamura doesn't automatically make it good.  People have bad nights, and they had a bad night.

If Cena and Rollins went out Sunday and did that exact match (change moves where applicable), it'd be getting shit on.

• Like 1

I only made it halfway through, and I'm a mark for the paint-by-numbers Nakamura formula match. It wasn't bad, and I'll finish it in a little while, but it did absolutely nothing to hold my attention.

Wait... what? Tenryu is facing Okada on his retirement tour? Exqueeze me? Baking powder?

Apparently it's his retirement match. God, Grumpy Tenryu trading bombs with Okada will be epic.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went out on his shield, so to speak. It's his retirement match, and he couldn't ask for a higher profile on his way into the sunset.

New Japan needs new stars. So they have two of their three established stars face each other for a shot at the third star. That is why it's stupid. It's time to elevate people, not to maintain the status quo. 

Who in the tournament did you hope would win to become a new star?  Shibata is 35, Goto is 36, Styles is 38.  All three are pretty established anyway to me, I don't think if any of them won it would have elevated them (maybe Shibata).  Tenzan/Nagata wouldn't count for obvious reasons.  Did you really want Yujiro or Yano to win? Gallows? There wasn't a chance Ibushi was winning since he is a Jr. (and he is already a star anyway).  I don't necessarily disagree that New Japan needs new stars as all promotions do but I didn't see anyone in the tournament that already wasn't a star that could be elevated by winning it.

Shibata is ready and would've been my choice. I think Ibushi could win as early as next year and he's pretty much graduated from the junior division. He's bigger than some of the so-called heavyweights and he's over with the crowds across the country. He delivers high end matches with those top guys and could be a viable threat. Those two would help freshen up the stagnant waters of the main event scene badly. I'd also like to see Ishii and Honma be built up so they can challenge for the title on some of the smaller tours too. I've never been a fan of Goto and feel like his push could be given to Shibata, ideally. They've also struck gold with Naito. So, Styles, Nakamura, Tanahashi, and Okada are your established stars. Have Naito, Shibata, and over the next year Ibushi join them. Then you can rotate the likes of Goto, Honma, and Ishii in for smaller tours.

Also, why did Mascara Sagrada join New Japan for a year if he's going to be treated as a job guy? He had a really good match with Omega for the Jr. championship and looked good but since then he's been dropping falls to pretty much everybody.

Edit: I'm also constantly scared of watching Ishii clutch his neck/shoulder while clenching his fist, as if he can't feel his fingers. That's some Kurt Angle shit right there and his shoulder was injured in last year's G1, if I remember correctly. He's either the world's best seller or needs to heal the fuck up. Or both.

And, yeah, looking at that list, almost everybody is 35+. They need to start focusing on the once mighty dojo again and/or devour some of the best young talents from other companies. Omega is another guy that has the skillset, charisma, and looks to become a major player at the heavyweight level too. Even if it all but kills off the junior division, his promotion would be something I'd seriously consider.

Edited by Oyaji

I am assuming they didn't know that Naito's new persona would go over so well, I don't know if they would have changed their plans if they did know but that may have caught them by surprise. I thought Shibata or Tanahashi was winning the tournament so I wasn't too far off.  I am annoyed that New Japan won't move Komatsu and Tanaka out of the "Young Lion" phase where they have been forever.  Really no good heavyweight has debuted in the last... five or six years at least that has been elevated up the card which is an issue for sure. Ishii was probably the last one but he will never be ace-level.  But I think Ibushi is legitimately already a star, they can move him over to heavyweight whenever, he has already proven himself this year against Nakamura and Styles.

Just finished the Finals.  It was fine.  Didn't like it, didn't hate it.  Leaning on the side of dislike though.  Just felt like the type of WWE bomb hucking, move spamming main event I would hate, and it seems like that's the direction NJPW is going.  True Strong Style is dead.  Why the fuck was Tanahashi targeting the leg anyway?  Probably only slightly ahead of Tanahashi's match with Ibushi at the bottom of his list of matches in this tournament.

I really don't think Tenryu in a singles match for his FINAL match is a good idea at all but hey, his idea. He was surprisingly spry in that last tag that showed up online but him trying to do some kind of... uh... any kind of match with Okada of all people... I don't even know how they'll work it.

Curt, remember we're talking about  guy that was really good at forty and sublime at fifty. Tenryu does not age like normal folk. Though at 65 it's probably a good idea to call it a career, work as a trainer at the NJPW dojo and get all grumpy with the young pups. Being in your early twenties and having your ass handed to you by a guy old enough to be your grandfather is a great way to build character. 

I bet the old guy has one more good match in him and Okada is the perfect guy to bounce around like a superball before eventually winning and seeing Tenryu carried out on a stretcher.

I really don't think Tenryu in a singles match for his FINAL match is a good idea at all but hey, his idea. He was surprisingly spry in that last tag that showed up online but him trying to do some kind of... uh... any kind of match with Okada of all people... I don't even know how they'll work it.

I haven't seen many Okada matches but him trying to import the structure I've seen him have, where he always does the same moves in the same rotation until Rainmaker (see: Hart, Bret) will stink it up. But as Oyaji says, as long as the kid gets his dick left in the dirt a couple times, I'm good.