DVDVR Message Board

G1 Climax 25

Chaos

Shibata vs. Tanahashi is easily my match of the tournament and an outside MOTYC. Incredible cut-offs, reversals, and a story based around Tanahashi reppin' the Fujinami sect of Strong Style vs. Shibata reppin' Inoki's branch. The striker vs. the grappler story was great and then they added in stuff like the manjigatame and the crowd started cheering "INOKI" if I heard correctly. Only thing that hurt it was Tanahashi's selling when he got on offense near the end (typical). Wasn't a big fan of the rest of day 13. Tenzan/Styles was okay but I'm so tired of watching broken down Tenzan.

I was right about the crowd popping huge.  They acted like he just won the damn title.

Good matches all around this year, the new format helped keep guys fresh, and being able to skip the tag matches and only need to keep up with 5 matches a day prevented the burnout of previous years.

The usual suspects are making their cases of MVP of the tourny, but damn if this didn't raise the stocks of Naito, Elgin, and Honma something serious.

And Honma sounds like he smokes 10 packs a day.

Holy shit, I LOVED Tenzan vs Shibata.  I was so into that finishing stretch.  I kinda hate that Tenzan has been jobbed out so hard in the tournament, because his performances have been great.  Frankly he's been better than Nakamura and Okada in this thing.

Working through the last Korakuen Hall show and Elgin has easily been the surprise of the tournament. He had a **** match with Karl Anderson and is having another really, really good, borderline great match - this time with Goto (whom I don't normally like). Add the Honma match in there and some really good stuff earlier in the tournament and he's completely won me over, so long as he's in New Japan. He doesn't do much no selling or over the top move killing shit. He's a poor man's Dr. Death and I like it. He's won over the crowds too, which can be hard for gaijin in the G1.

Hmm, looks like Meltz gave the Goto match **** and the Anderson match ***3/4. I rated something New Japan higher than Meltzer. What have I become?!

Shibata looked like he was about to die in the Anaconda on that 8/11 match.

Final was eh.  There have been better matches between the two.  Finishing stretch was nice though.  I honestly marked the fuck out more for who showed up to commentate (I was also expecting a turn, but oh well).  The prematch festivities might be the only time I've ever been pissed at the music overdubbing for old themes.

KUSHIDA and Ricochet tore it down like it was 1995 though.

Did they make the main for Dominion what I think it is, or do I really need a translation of the pre-intermission angle?

It was really glaring how little NJPW booking thinks of Shibata here.  Fans treat dude like a top tier guy.  He performs like a top tier guy.  He's carrying Fale and Gallows and Tenzan to excellent matches, but he's treated like a second rung talent.  Really frustrating when you see how many chances Goto got, or the endless parade of Nakamura/Tanahashi/Okada(I like all of those guys).  How incredibly emotional would a finals with Tenzan have been?  Especially with the run he had this year?  Can Yano YTR his way to a G1 trophy?  Anything is more interesting than what we got, and Nakamura was one of the worst performers in the field this year too.

Tanahashi was a no-brainer to win this since the closing angle to Wrestle Kingdom.  For whatever reason, Gedo et all feel the need for Tanahashi to be in the top spot for that show, so we get him in the main for the 3rd year in a row, but this *should* finally be the year that Okada wins and gets turned into the Top Guy.  

The format has worked well though.  If I only wanted to follow the Tourny matches, only needed to follow 5 matches a day, and the guys got half days off for the tag matches.  That, and the overall booking wasn't thrown all out of whack with the Nakamura injury.  That said, that main underdelievered and really felt like they were doing their best interpertation of a WWE Main Event.  Don't know if they just ran out of gas at the post or what, and it was dissappointing, since Tanahashi was chruning some real good matches up to today, and Nakamura is just better than that, even hurt.

Some jerk face mcjerkerton spoiled the final for me.

64GzU.gif

I was just starting the first ryogoku kokugikan show last night when I saw the live stream of the final was about to start. I was tempted to just jump into it so I can watch it without any possible spoilers. Double bummer when you have such a bland sounding finale.

Not even one Cena vs Orton match came near the quality those two produce though!

People need to realize that just because a match will be great doesn't mean other people are interested in it. Sheamus is a great wrestler, I still roles my eyes when Sheamus won MITB, and I think he's a better wrestler then Tanahashi or Okada. Running the same big match repeatedly makes the big match just a match.

• Like 1