DVDVR Message Board

G1 Climax 25

Chaos

Haven't watched today's show yet but I've got to say that Naito's mannerisms as a heel are off the charts awesome. The fact he comes out in La Sombra's Black Mask-esque get-up and doesn't take it off until the match starts and does so in no hurry is some quality heeling (this is particularly true when he's first out). His work in tag matches where he just stares off into random directions when not involved also gets a kick out of me. He's incorporated a lot of heeling into his actual wrestling too but I feel like he should take out some of his high spots he used to do and do something different. Not a fan of his new finish either but whatever. Naito is all of a sudden a worthwhile investment of my time and I wouldn't complain at all if they push him to win a second G1. LOS INGOBERNABLES! I feel like I should watch the CMLL stable. It's got Rush and La Sombra so it couldn't be bad.

Double post but I just finished today's show. Ishii/Nakamura and Elgin (who continues to impress)/Honma were both great and Goto/Okada had a terrific finishing stretch and one really rad spot early on where Okada did a running dive over the guardrail to turn the tide of the match. Naito killed it in his tag match (again).

I'm going to be pissed off if Honma goes winless two years in a row.

This has been a really good tournament and I feel like it's slightly less formulaic this year than the past few, maybe due to the bigger variety in performers. It's been a blast to watch even though I'm finally starting to skip matches that I have zero interest in watching (fuck off Takahashi).

Looking at how sweaty some of the announcers were, I looked up the weather in Osaka. 35 degrees celsius, feels like 40. *puke* 

I am through Night 8 now, and I seriously doubt I will attempt Night 9 today. Elgin has been a pleasant surprise, as I am largely not a fan of him as a worker, but his match with Honma has to have been one of my favorite matches of this tournament. I also have developed quite the appreciation for Karl Anderson in the ring. None of this matches have been true stand outs, but they have been consistently good throughout the tournament. He also knows how to heel it up in front of this Japanese crowd.

Makabe's been terrible lately, but the only other potential loss for Naito this tourny is Ibushi, and Makabe at least has the NEVER belt to kinda justify it.  I think it's more to build a bit of suspense and make us think that Shibata might actually pull this off instead of Tanahashi.  

Makabe's been terrible lately, but the only other potential loss for Naito this tourny is Ibushi, and Makabe at least has the NEVER belt to kinda justify it.  I think it's more to build a bit of suspense and make us think that Shibata might actually pull this off instead of Tanahashi.  

1311947500573.gif

Unless you mean "the last 10 years lately".

Haven't finished the show but AJ drilling BizCliz with the Bloody Sunday was impressive and I'm glad it finished the match.

And the shitty parts were Makabe. He's seriously Ishii without any understanding of what makes pro wrestling dramatic.

I'm at the Naito/Makabe match from today's show and Naito is a must watch and Makabe is pretty much a must skip. The ultimate paradox. 

It would appear that New Japan had tech issues with today's show and there's a delay in posting it. I see the usual places have it up for download, but I'm guessing with whatever difficulties New Japan is trying to fix.

It was up this morning, but the audio was iffy, nothing to take away from the show though.  Ishii/Nagata was a great "That all you got Motherfucker?!" match, Okada/Anderson was decent, Nakamura/Goto was good and the finish was neat.  

They're seemingly building to Honma just snapping due to his inability to get a win in the tourny.  But he's got Anderson, Takahashi, Ishii and Nakamura left.   If he's gonna snap and obliterate someone, Takahashi would be the obivious choice, but they might throw a swerve in and have him massivly upset one of the other three.

Holy shit, that lariat Kojima finished Honma off with was soooo gnarly. Honma did the flippy sell but it looked like he was unconscious and limp doing it. So awesome (despite Honma losing).

Honma beating Anderson would be a great moment for the live audience. Anderson has done an excellent job of antagonizing the crowd and his opponents this tournament With how Honma falls on his headbutt, I could see Anderson hitting the Ace Crusher, Honma popping up immediately and just going off on him for the win.

Could it have been that Nakamura's injury threw a huge wrench into Honma getting his first G1 win?  Odds are that they're building to a Nakamura/Okada match to win the block.  Having Nakamura going into the Honma match leading the block, and having Honma beat him leading to a tie breaker with Okada seems like it would have been good for everyone.  Honma would have gotten maybe the biggest win possible.  Nakamura could have been accused of overlooking Honma.  Okada gets to try to be both G1 champion and IWGP champion.  Okada and Nakamura who have been friends for years would have a match that gets a little chippy, because Nakamura is pissed he lost and Okada really wants to win the tournament.  It would build to Nakamura and Okada at Wrestle Kingdom where they are straight up enemies.  When I was looking over the matches night to night, that was the scenario that popped into my mind.

We'll never know, unfortunately. Just so long as we don't have another 1/4 Tanahashi vs. Okada match, I'm good. Do one last one in 2017 or something with Okada finally winning.

From today's show: Honma/White vs. Anderson/Hall was really good for a throwaway undercard tag match. Cody just gives 'er 100% on the discuss lariat, it's filthy. If he puts it together mentally, he'll be a top draw. He's just got to figure out what goes on in-between moves and fine tune his match structure understanding. Jay White looks like he's getting pretty jacked and is a solid young lion looking to break through the glass ceiling. Anderson let him kick out of the Swivel Gun Stun/TKO and gave him a near fall on the backslide. I'm definitely enjoying Anderson getting over the regular version of the diamond cutter as a reversal too (even though it doesn't make sense when guys are kicking out of the second rope version and the swivel version). Post-match Honma antics were lovely.

Man, New Japan has emasculated their referees worse than WWE did (still does?). How many times do they have to stupidly look away for intereference? How many times do they just do a 20 count for some bullshit reason? How many times do they just sit there and watch guys blatantly cheat? I've never been a fan of Unno but this shit was the worst... After not giving Naito a 20 count for leaving the ringside area, Naito comes back in and chokes Ibushi with his dress shirt. Unno's response? Cross his arms, say no, and put his hands on his fucking hips! This isn't an '80s movie poster or sticom opening credits sequence, mother fucker!

Day 9 is easily my favorite show of the tour so far.  I LOVED Ibushi/Tenzan and Tanahashi/Yano.  Thought Styles/Gallows was really solid, and Naito/Makabe had some great heat behind it.

About the refs, NJPW officiating has always been a little funky.  You can do all manner of shit like whipping into the rails, low blows, etc and the refs don't care.  Throw one closed fist and it's like you've committed a crime.

When Honma scores a win for points on  the last day, the building is gonna explode.  This "I can't score any points 2 years striaght" story is getting Honma massively over.

I got so behind on G1 viewings and avoided this thread, and still managed to read a spoiler.. LOL poor Kota. I popped really hard when YTR got Shibata.

Anyway whatever I'm caught up to day 14 and about to kill day 15. I just wanted to say Goto/Ishii was hot shit and the shot of the two crying Ishii fans in the Korakuen bleachers was totally priceless.