DVDVR Message Board

G1 Climax 25

Chaos

He is pretty formulaic but most of the New Japan guys are. Shit, most wrestlers are as we discussed in the match structure thread. His worst sin in my eyes is hitting a tombstone piledriver and immediately picking his opponent up to give them the rainmaker. Such poor psychology. He's a really good athlete (the best dropkick going?), has a superstar presence and look, and has been in some really terrific matches. He's not a great wrestler yet, but could be one day.

Plus, as formulaic as Bret was, he could tell a huge variety of stories. He just had his five moves that set up the Sharpshooter. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's not as if he was Ric Flair formulaic.

I just watched Doc Gallows beat Shibata on the first Sumo Hall card and the crowd completely deflated. They were ready, Shibata was ready, Gedo wasn't. 

I'm happy with the tournament. I think Gedo did really great and everyone made good on what they were given. Yes, I actually snoozed through the final, but these two are so over that you can't blame a booker for having that final and having that finish. There were a couple of ways Gedo could have gone, and he chose for a classic 25th anniversary final between the two true aces of this era (made even more historical with Muto/Chono on color). It's not like we got a bunch of predictable shit, either. Okada jobbing twice in a row at big shows, setting up two other IWGP heavy contenders besides Tana, Elgin being given big opportunities and getting ridiculously over for a fresh gaijin, a LOT of fresh storylines set up for the future (LOVE the heat between Shibata/Naito), a bunch of little upsets and gems. To get back to the final, I think the idea of someone like Tenzan or Naito in the final is just a little silly. With Tenzan, I don't think even the biggest mark in Sumo Hall would have given him 1% of a chance, while Nak/Tana was truly 50/50 (Tana being the ACE OF ACE and Nak coming off a singles pin on the primary champ). Naito, the story is getting over big but that would have been a risky final in terms of crowd response and him winning would have really been a waste at this early point in his current story. I ate up his block matches, but all of that stalling and dead time in the G1 final would not make for a satisfying (tour ending!) main event either way.

Also, like.. there's a lot of shows between now and then, but just brace yourself for Tana over Okada at WK, you know? :P Crowd energy for Tana is as high as ever, and with him out of the main event last time, I really wouldn't be surprised at a big Tana win on 1/4/2016 and that 30+ minute post-match air guitar, ai shite imasu, towel wiping bonanza that is so ridiculously over. Okada has been back for such little time and there is so much left to milk from Tanahashi for the next couple of years, it would be pretty inexplicable and premature to do this passing of the ace torch that people are talking about.

Isn't Tanahashi's body breaking down pretty badly? I remember reading horror stories last year where he couldn't sit down without pain.

And more so than Naito, and definitely more than Tenzan (ew), Shibata was the logical alternative.

Tanahashi out of what Dome Main Event last time?  Dude main evented the last 7 of 8 1/4's with his 8th upcoming(since his losing his shot to Naito or Fale is very unlikely), and he's won all but 1.  He beat Okada last year which set up the whole "You're good but still not the ACE" story.  Or did you mean last Tour main event?  Which was a good thing, because with the rest, he pulled out a good tourny, final notwithstanding

Tanahashi out of what Dome Main Event last time?  Dude main evented the last 7 of 8 1/4's with his 8th upcoming(since his losing his shot to Naito or Fale is very unlikely), and he's won all but 1.  He beat Okada last year which set up the whole "You're good but still not the ACE" story.  Or did you mean last Tour main event?  Which was a good thing, because with the rest, he pulled out a good tourny, final notwithstanding

Uhhh yeah, I get high a lot :)