DVDVR Message Board

Imaginary Stories : A Comics Podcast

Johnny Sorrow

Hey, me and my pal Kelly who do all sorts of wrestling pods just started our new Comic Book show. We're gonna be talking about stuff from the 20's to the late 80's, comic books and comic strips both. Our first show is on The New Teen Titans and how big it was in the early 80's. Check it out. And not all of them will be this long.  ;)

For some reason, I cant link it. but go to placetobenation.com/category/comics/

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was listening to this in the car. I imagine a Hulk vs. Thing cover would have had kids losing their minds in those days. Growing up with 90s comics I was pretty damn spoiled with all the infighting and shit but it made it less special.

Nah, we were all conditioned to Thor, Hulk, & Subby (in water) as the big three. Poor Benjy was strong, but not enough to compare with the big guys.

On 4/28/2016 at 5:49 PM, OSJ said:

Nah, we were all conditioned to Thor, Hulk, & Subby (in water) as the big three. Poor Benjy was strong, but not enough to compare with the big guys.

Oh I call bullshit. The money was always in Hulk vs Thing in 1964 because both were monsters presented as THE strong guys. 

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_25_zpsimwalg57.jpg

and then this motherfuckers

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_26_zpsryrkxfnb.png

• Like 1

Johnny, I'll agree to a point since you specifically cited 1964. You're correct, through 1964 the Thing was portrayed as being on a par with the Big Three. However, let me call your attention to Journey into Mystery #112. Somewhere between 1965-1967 the depowering of Benjy set in to the point where at the end of the day he was clearly on a lower tier strength-wise than the others. (The introduction of Hercules made it abundantly clear that there was a significant power gap below the now Big Four.) The caveats were as follows, Subby's strength would decrease the longer he was away from water. The longer the Hulk fought the angrier (and subsequently stronger) he would become. Thor was an Asgardian god, 'nuff said. It was always implied that in a land battle, Thor would ultimately vanquish either Hulk or Subby,  as I said, by the end of 1965, the Thing was no longer in the discussion. Hercules and Thor were portrayed as physical equals, but the Uru hammer gave Thor an edge. (Of course, being a good guy, Thor would never take advantage of an opponent by using the hammer).

By FF40-something, Ben was vulnerable to the "master blow" as delivered by Black Bolt. Clearly something that Thor, Herc, Hulk, and Subby would shrug off. As to why this decision was made, I can only figure that it was along the lines of Cap's "super-soldier" formula getting downplayed to make him more vulnerable. In point of fact, what really distanced Marvel from DC in the 1960s were the efforts that they went to in order to make their characters flawed with either "hang-ups" or glaring weak-spots. We can argue that DC actually fired the opening creative salvo with the Doom Patrol, but Marvel really picked up the ball and ran with it...

• 1 month later...

Hey, I bet you never knew you'd want to hear two guys talk about how awesome Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew was! 

Wait, You DID? Well, here ya go. Kelly and I dive head first into Earth -C, and the brilliance of Scott Shaw! You're welcome.

IS6.jpg

http://placetobenation.com/imaginary-stories-6-captain-carrot-and-his-amazing-zoo-crew/