DVDVR Message Board

The Cover Shtick

Zac_Fu

That Slayer string cover made me think of this. Hellsongs are a Swedish trio who do folky versions of metal standards and yes, a lot of it is "LOL we are playing this all quiet and acoustic HAR HAR" - BUT their version of "Seasons in the Abyss" is genuinely amazing.

Completely lovely and sinister at the same time. I can listen to it and not think of the Slayer song at all. I would buy an album of songs that sounded like this in a heartbeat.

A girl's chorus covering Rammstein.  So creepy, they used this version for a movie trailer (I think the Possessed)

Scala kicks ass on everything they cover.  They made Marilyn Manson sound freakier than the original--

Current It Girl Lorde covers Tears for Fears for the Hunger Games: Catching Fire soundtrack, and highlights the darkness of the lyrics--

You know how a lot of us have said that Lady Gaga needs to sign "Poker Face" over to Cartman, because he just take the song to a height no one imagined?

The same has happened here.  Puddles kicked the the shit out of Lorde on her own song.  Give the song to the man, and call it a day  Hot smokes, was that good.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's Lorde being covered by a 7 foot tall clown.

I kept expecting him to bust into Pagliacci.

On Scala covers, here's them doing Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus...

http://youtu.be/1ENUFuv7yPA

Was this song really popular?  Because I only know it as Nate Webb's theme, I've seen several like chorus covers and apparently One Direction covered it too.