DVDVR Message Board

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor (7/11/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

Poor Thatch got obliterated in every part of the game.

Yeah, I was surprised he was the favorite considering he showed he lacked any ground game against Bendo who was much smaller than him and Gunner's primarily a grappler.

I remember when he got signed, people were hyping him up like crazy.

He really needs to work on his BJJ skills. He's shown he has the BJJ skills of a white belt.

On this one, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. That one-two from Gunnar had him all fucked up. He had to fight a great grappler while semi concussed. Very few people are going to be able to stop someone that good on the ground in that condition.

Yeah, but that Bendo fight really exposed his lack of BJJ. Sure Bendo's no slouch on the ground, but Thatch just handed him his back and neck for the rear naked choke.

Awesome show. Started with all decisions and ended with all stoppages. Almedia's flying knee was insanely awesome then didn't expect Stephens to win with one as well. Good stuff from Gunnar's win. Loved Lawler/Rory, incredible fight and great to see Lawler get the win. Bloody war with a memorable finish. Surprised all three judges had it going to Rory. Good to see Conor live up to the hype and pull it off even with 3 seconds left in the round. Love the epic entrances for the main event.

I wanted Chad to win. With a full training camp, he would've done much better and would've possibly even beaten Conor.

2 questions were answered today -- Conor can beat a top featherweight and Conor doesn't have great wrestling.

Also Conor doesn't have great BJJ of his back. If he fights a wrestler, he'll get out grappled for 25 minutes.

I'm guessing you mean a wrestler with a proper training camp because Conor just fought a great wrestler didn't get out-grappled for 25 minutes ( which was what I expected to happen in this fight ).

I was impressed with Conor's scrambling when Chad went for the guillotine though. That was lightning quick and he immediately started stalking Mendes down. Impressive cardio, rock solid chin (for now), and phenomenal striking... I think he may be favourite for the Aldo fight.

One of the best UFC shows of all time and their improved production shone brightly. UFC is absolutely on a roll right now even with their biggest star at the start of the year getting in a hit and run on a pregnant lady and the biggest fight in history changing two weeks prior to the event.

Edit: Rory did enough to win the first and then won the third and fourth rounds fairly decisively I thought. Lawler had a huge second round, yep, but both corners more or less told their fighters that Rory had the decision wrapped up. That nose, though! EW!

Edited by Oyaji

Poor Thatch got obliterated in every part of the game.

Yeah, I was surprised he was the favorite considering he showed he lacked any ground game against Bendo who was much smaller than him and Gunner's primarily a grappler.

I remember when he got signed, people were hyping him up like crazy.

He really needs to work on his BJJ skills. He's shown he has the BJJ skills of a white belt.

On this one, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. That one-two from Gunnar had him all fucked up. He had to fight a great grappler while semi concussed. Very few people are going to be able to stop someone that good on the ground in that condition.

Yeah, but that Bendo fight really exposed his lack of BJJ. Sure Bendo's no slouch on the ground, but Thatch just handed him his back and neck for the rear naked choke.

That was also late in a five round fight when he was exhausted from trying to thrash him. If that was in like round 1 or 2, then I definitely would agree with that assessment.

Listen, I don't think he is any great shakes on the ground. However, I think he is where a guy would be after spending most of his career killing jobbers out in Colorado and the Great Plains states and Justin Edwards.

Hopefully, Amal Easton or whoever is working with him can help with that eventually.

Yeah people at the bar was like "Rory just fucking quit.  What kind of person does that".  How about someone who is bleeding like a pig and has lost most of his ability to breathe.  I was surprised to see that rory was ahead of the fight because I thought he had had to win the round for even a split decision.  Anyone that question both of those guys heart is a dumb ass

Mendes was so damn close.  He had definitely exposed the weakness in Conor which is in his work on the ground.   It seemed like Chad was really tired at the end of rounds which is expected given 2 weeks notice.   As much as I hate to say this, the right guy in terms of "best for business" won.  

Has to be top to bottom a top 3 most brutal PPV in UFC history.  Oh yeah there were some fights much more bloody than this but the entire show was just brutal knockouts and guys busted all over the place.   Which is amazing given how unbelievably dull the prelims were

While I found the live version of entrance songs to be corny as hell (especially Sinead O connor and her hairy arms),  if it means that Joan Jett is going to get Bad Reputation for a Rousey fight then fuck yeah   :D

That was such a classic title fight. Feel out round to start off, then they took turns pressing on what they learned early on. So many momentum shifts, brutal strikes, and fighting through injury. Insta-classic.

Hopefully, Conor has improved wrestling once he finally has full notice fighting a wrestler. However, the fact he took those hard strikes and then was like, "Sup, Chad" is scary as shit. It would have been so easy to just mentally retreat right there. That or just turn over to give your back up.

• Like 2

Hopefully, Conor has improved wrestling once he finally has full notice fighting a wrestler.

From the looks of it, he spent both weeks just training to escape that guillotine. Mendes set that up perfectly and the next second Connor was gone.

• Like 1

I marked the fuck out for that. Lightning fast scramble. 

Sherdog radio guys say Aldo would still be favourite for the eventual McGregor fight. One said even more so now after seeing the lack of defense from Conor.

However, the fact he took those hard strikes and then was like, "Sup, Chad" is scary as shit

Yeah, maybe, but there is a very long line of dudes that could take that until they couldn't take it no more. The fact that Mendes , with the reach disadvantage and short camp could tag him as often as he did, might give Conner something to think about .

That seemed more like contemptuous defending rather than normal human being "I need to not get hit" defense though. I think it was his way of sending a message that he can't be hurt by one of the more explosive punchers in the division. How long he decides to play that game is the question though. 

As for Mendes' gas tank, how much of it was the 2 week camp and how much of it was Conor's ridiculous body work. Those kicks from that big of a man with that much skill will take their toll.

I think a lot of could be contributed to not slowing down the pace enough. I think this happened to Chael in the second fight with Anderson. Once you have in your mind how a fight is going to play out, it's really rough to see it going any other way.

The stopping him on the feet didn't work out so that went out the window. Some of those takedowns and takedown attempts didn't come as easy as he thought they would. Also, I think he wanted to lay and pray a little but Herb Dean would notice the stalling. Herb wasn't going to just stand them back up, but he wasn't going to let Mendes just sit in guard.

It wasn't so much Mendes trying to stand up with Conor as it was Mendes knowing he had to still disguise those takedowns. That gave Conor ample time to work him over and eventually get the finish.

I had an awkward reaction to the main in that, while Connor was landing  those body kicks and they were clearly taking a toll , Rogan , at least during the fight, barely mentioned that Mendes was a replacement, and he highlighted how 'unlike'  this was the Chad Mendes we had seen before.

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 1m1 minute ago

ICYMI: UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta told me they have reserved Jan. 2 at MGM. Aldo/McGregor "probably" lands there

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/13242605/ufc-189-conor-mcgregor-defeats-chad-mendes-second-round-tko-interim-featherweight-title

Things worked out well for UFC, McGregor vs Mendes was a massive success, likely only marginally less so than Aldo vs McGregor would have been, and now they still have that fight to do in the future. And I strongly believe that that fight will either break the record set by UFC 100 or come very close to doing so. And then if McGregor wins that, they have a stadium show in Ireland next summer that will break more records.