DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: KURT ANGLE

RIPPA

That Angle-Edge match pretty much really started Edge toward the top of the card.

Always thought his selling was too spotty. His "American Hero" clueless heel character was pretty boss.

Angle-Lesnar at Wrestlemania was quite the spectacle. Their Iron Man match on Smackdown was not good. I've heard great things about Angle-Joe (still haven't watched it yet), but how many "classic matches still talked about to this day in hushed tones" was he involved in? Know what I mean? Angle-Joe has that kind of hype. I guess you could say solid MOTY candidates. Angle-Edge was good for really helping make Edge.

I'm not saying he's overrated (maybe just a teeny bit so), but I've never understood Meltzer's boundless enthusiasm for the guy.

What's the general concensus here on the Mania 21 match with Michaels? I absolutely loved it at the time but I haven't seen it since it aired live.

It's a great match...Shawn using pro wrestling grappling (via the repeated side headlock takedowns) at the beginning to offset Kurt's amateur grappling skills is pretty cool, and the overall story of whether or not Kurt over-scouted the superkick while underestimating the rest of HBK's arsenal works well..

Angle vs Shane (street fight @ king of the ring 2001) is one of my favorite matches ever. i know people around here hate Shane going toe-to-toe with a professional athlete and all that, but i never had a problem with him, and this match is the epitome of that.

Why are the good WWE matches NEVER available in decent quality? I wanted to post Austin vs. Angle at Summerslam '01, but Youtube's only copy looks like dogshit and I'm tired of posting stinky Dailymotion links in this folder. Ditto with that one really awesome match he had with Flair on Raw. Sigh... oh well, here he is proving that Kane can actually have some damned fine, exciting non-gimmick matches:

And oh yeah, around 2001, Kurt Angle was the best fucking wrestler in the entire fucking world. It's funny how disdainful a lot of smarks are for him, since almost everyone who's ever actually wrestled him has basically said that he's one of the all-time bests, if not THE best. (Same deal with guys from Shawn Michaels to Dean Malenko to Jerry Lynn, actually.) Kinda reminds me of the old days when Lance Storm and our members here had silly arguments all based on the fact that they defined the word "worker" differently.

Aw man, now I'm thinking of prime Angle vs. Dr. Death. Not that I'm some huge Angle fan honestly (there are a thousand matches of his I haven't watched but him vs. Benoit was one of my favorite things ever) but those two getting all amateur style before laying in the bombs with Watts and JR marking out on commentary would have been gold.

Aw man, now I'm thinking of prime Angle vs. Dr. Death. Not that I'm some huge Angle fan honestly (there are a thousand matches of his I haven't watched but him vs. Benoit was one of my favorite things ever) but those two getting all amateur style before laying in the bombs with Watts and JR marking out on commentary would have been gold.

Angle working heel like that while Bill Watts was wondering what went wrong, with the eventual face turn against the evil foreigners would have been a great storyline, and I can also imagine the backstage fighting, as I'm sure Angle's concept of working would run into someone who would try and make him understand the hard way.  

Angle/prime Vader would have been awesome as well.  Kurt would have tried to find new ways to kill himself.