DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

I didn't know Russo was involved with IPW:UK but it's right there on IPW:UK's twitter account so this story from another board is probably legit. Russo is so stupid. Bolded parts are my emphasis

I was at a PROGRESS Wrestling show in London on Sunday, and it was excellent as always. The champion was a guy named Jimmy Havoc, who's been the nastiest most evil fucking bastard of a heel for two years. Everyone wants to see him lose the belt, but every time he manages to hold onto it. Havoc turned heel by attacking the babyface promoter Jim Smallman, and since then he's been taunting and tormenting the guy by not only holding onto the belt but forcing Smallman to count his pinfalls just to rub salt in the wound.

At the same time they've been building up this high-flyer called Will Ospreay. He's young, good looking, the most babyfacest babyface in the world. About a year ago he went to the top rope to do a 630 and ended up hurting himself, and since then they've done this angle where he's too scared to do the move so he does other finishes instead. Ospreay had a couple of shots at the belt before last weekend, but he either got screwed by Havoc's minions or got tripped up when he hesitated hitting the 630. At the last show he won a 16 man tournament to win another title shot, and every single person in the crowd was dying to see him win at last.

Like I said the show was great, and it ended with Ospreay hitting the 630 for the first time since his injury and Smallman counting the pin. Everything made sense, it was built up perfectly, and when Smallman counted 3 the roof came off the place. It was a perfect moment.

The reason I'm writing this here is because the first half of the show was ruined for me by this fucking guy standing right behind me, who spent the first few matches talking very very loudly about how he books his own promotion, and how he could do certain things better than PROGRESS, and how he knows Vince Russo. Turns out Russo actually works with this guy and gives him booking advice. He said that while the beloved babyface beating the hated heel to send everyone home happy would be the expected ending, both he and Russo agreed that it would be better to do something unexpected to ~~swerve~~ the fans. The idea that these intellectual titans came up with was a double turn, with the heel-turned-face beating the face-turned-heel to retain the belt, and continue the chase for another few months with the roles reversed. The only justification he gave was that people wouldn't see it coming, and so it was intrinsically better. Plus even though fans said they wanted to see Havoc lose, they fact that they kept coming to shows proved they didn't really want that at all (???). There was no hint of a double turn before the match, there's no shades of grey in either guy's character, no-one wanted or would have appreciated a double turn in that match.

When I asked the guy whether he'd be worried that fans would get pissed off with that finish and stop coming to shows, his response was that since the show had sold out quickly they could afford to lose a couple of hundred fans (out of 700 there that night) because there'd always be plenty more to take their place. I was literally speechless. This guy is responsible for trying to draw as many fans as possible, and he's telling me it's ok to drive a significant proportion away for no real reason. A businessman who fucks up the simplest most elementary aspect of business.

• Like 1

Why are people still giving Vince Russo chances? Are there really promotions that still want worked-shoots and nonsensical swerves? Can we knock him out, put him in giant wooden storage crate, and ship him to Antarctica?

This guy is responsible for trying to draw as many fans as possible, and he's telling me it's ok to drive a significant proportion away for no real reason. A businessman who fucks up the simplest most elementary aspect of business.

wait, Vince McMahon was in attendance?

This guy is responsible for trying to draw as many fans as possible, and he's telling me it's ok to drive a significant proportion away for no real reason. A businessman who fucks up the simplest most elementary aspect of business.

wait, Vince McMahon was in attendance?

:rolleyes: sign ups are always open at wrestlingforum.com

I don't know anything about Jimmy Havoc or Will Ospreay and that storyline summation made me want to see the match.

It's an open question whether a Will Ospreay heel turn or a Jimmy Havoc face turn would be dumber, but the combination of the two is something only Russo would be dumb enough to put together.

Marcus Cor Von, or Monty Brown?

I'd assume he would appear as "Marcus Cor Von, WWE Ambassador" when he appears at events, but he spent so little time in WWE that I doubt it would even matter if he went by Monty Brown. It's not like Google returns all TNA results when you search "Monty Brown" anyway. One TNA thing is on the first page, and then a bunch of WWE stuff and his NFL profile on their website.

Well, you asked this on a wrestling board, in the wrestling section, so I would assume the answer will be pretty obvious. What's the context of that question? Why should we, as adults, NOT watch wrestling/WWE? Simply because we're adults, or is there a larger meaning that I'm missing out on because I'm not on your social media?

Legitimate question based on a social media discussion I had:  Should adults just not even bother with pro wrestling, especially WWE?

Why in the world would you expect anyone on here to agree with that? Especially considering how many wrestling promotions past and present that DON'T cater their programming to kids. If it's because "it's fake!" then I guess we're not allowed to watch anything but sports after we turn 18.

Legitimate question based on a social media discussion I had:  Should adults just not even bother with pro wrestling, especially WWE?

It doesn't really matter what we say. About this particular question, or anything else. You can't be bothered to care, but you can't be bothered to stop watching. Repeat about 50x a month. I honestly wish there was something I could say to help you out of the funk.

• Like 2