DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

I don't think Cena's even a heel to the vast majority of people at this point. I think he's a face that the crowd gets on because that's what happens when you go to a wrestling show that Cena is on and are a male above the age of twelve. Like, they chant "John Cena sucks" during his music because that's what you do when he comes out, but it seems more affectionate than anything, as when people chanted "YOU SUCK!" to face Kurt Angle and then cheered him in the ring. Likewise, they cheer for Cena and appreciate him as a wrestler, particularly now that he's wrestling this bomb-throwing style that he has adopted full force and that pleases that aspect of the crowd.

• Like 2

Cena might have a heel turn in him, but not until WWE succeeds in finding his replacement as the top face.

This. Maybe if the Roman Reigns experiment had worked out it'd be more realistic to expect it to happen but it's not going to happen any time soon now. They learned their mistake from the Austin turn.

It gets said every time the topic comes up, but to many of the people clamoring for a Cena heel turn, he's already a heel.

And this too. I don't even know what a John Cena heel turn is supposed to accomplish except to really fuck up merchandise sales. The people who boo him now are going to start cheering him the second he turns heel without rushing to go buy his shirt.

• Like 2

If nothing else, Enzo could be a good manager type.

Fuck that. Enzo has way more upside than that. Guys with that much charisma only come around once in a generation. And he's getting better in the ring, slowly but surely. Anyone that has him topping out as a manager are in for a rude awakening.

• Like 1

Cena is 38. What is this rush to hurry up and retire him? I'd say he's got at least another 5 years left in him so strap in. He's not going anywhere.

We can't all hate Roman Reigns and expect Cena to go away at the same time. If people were really so desperate for "anyone but Cena!" they should have thought about that in January-March when everyone was having their 'IT'S NOT BRYAN!' fit.

It's always odd to me when people call out fans for wanting something and being mad when they didn't get it. I mean, yes, at some level, if the company is doing it right, you're being worked. 

On the other hand, as a fan, I'm not obligated to politely clap for every Vince McMahon flight of fancy. I guess quite a few people threw their fit and then stopped watching altogether at this point, considering the ratings. 

I'm reading that the NXT show in Brooklyn is selling very well. They could sell over 10,000 tickets.  But according to Vince, Owens is fat and shouldn't headline.

Well of course it sold very well when all the seats got bought and put up on Stubhub.

Just catching up on the day's posts now, and wondering how the hell we made it the whole day without asking this question:

Will Virgil's fuck money be enough to pay for his air bill?

Fuck the fuck money.  If he expects his GoFundMe to actually support himself, it'll be a miracle if he can afford to pay his actual water bill.

For all the talk about "how crazy his AMA was," he made a whopping five dollars from one person off of it.  Internet irony apparently doesn't pay what it used to.

• Like 2

Just catching up on the day's posts now, and wondering how the hell we made it the whole day without asking this question:

Fuck the fuck money. If he expects his GoFundMe to actually support himself, it'll be a miracle if he can afford to pay his actual water bill.

For all the talk about "how crazy his AMA was," he made a whopping five dollars from one person off of it. Internet irony apparently doesn't pay what it used to.

Internet irony has never paid well. Case in point: Snakes on a Plane

• Like 1

The Virgil thing is cute but I'm so not looking forward to "fuck money" being everywhere for the next 3 months. Ok, I kinda am. Even I can't be that curmudgeonly.

Three months? People still make Who = Neidhart jokes and use the term "SuperCena" here. Fuck money is FOREVER.

WAY too early to tell. Air bill has proven it has staying power. Who and Bork Laser are IWC-meme classics. Fuck money is gonna have to stick around to prove it belongs.

Sure they do. They just want to do it on their own terms, hand-picked by Vince.

They always want to find the next guy. If people hadn't rejected Reigns, Cena would probably be in Rock-mode already.

Fowler is right, steve is wrong, and clint is trying too hard.

Punk gets himself over, gets the belt, then gets stuck in that Nash-HHH clusterfuck for a while before playing third fiddle to Cena-Rock and Taker-HHH before eventually turning heel, which culminates in him putting Rock over to boost Rock-Cena II, Twice In A Lifetime. (Say what you want about how strong Seth Rollins has been booked as champ, but all HIS matches have been main events.)

Batista comes back to do a 6-month stint with Mania triumph, but that gets shat on out of the blocks and WWE has to go back to the drawing board.

While we can't KNOW what the plan was for Bryan after Mania 30, it seems pretty likely that the Brocking that Cena took at SummerSlam would probably have gone to him. I think we can all be pretty comfortable assuming that the plan was to make Roman the guy after Mania, but again, crowd, shit, you know the drill.

The lesson here is clear: If you get yourself into a position where you're the most over guy in the company, they might put the belt on you, but you will never ever be the guy. They want the guy they picked to be the guy. If it doesn't work, they'll move on, but they will learn the absolute wrong lesson, and basically make the same mistakes in a marginally different way.

• Like 1