DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Jesus, the guy dominates Cena for a few months, then loses a single match and Craig goes all emo.

Honestly, what bothered me much much more than Owens losing to Cena at Battleground, was Owens being one of the guys that held back Lesnar and the Undertaker. That's when I realized that Owens is just another guy. When he lost at Battleground, I just thought "Ok, they're going for Round 4 or the 4-way Match we speculated about". But then Cena came out during Rollins' promo and everything went to shit...

That really was weird.  Everyone else currently presented on his level wasn't involved.  I'm not super worried because I'd bet on Owens talking his way into that group, but it was noticeable.  Why would a guy who only cares about his family, regularly walks out of matches etc etc.. give two shits about breaking up a Lesnar/Taker brawl?  You could tell he was trying his best to stay out of the frame.  Which was smart.

It wouldn't be a big deal under normal circumstances, but it just goes against all the character work they are doing.  He is working a prize fighting gimmick where he acts too important for your average Raw match. You absolutely can't have him out there for the brawl.

R Truth being the one to talk down Brock was another "what the hell are they doing" moment, but that was actually kind of great.  Absolutely no logic to it, but I imagine Brock and Truth eating in catering together now.  Funny.

This company just sort of stumbles into their best characters/moments.  I don't have much faith in the Zayn/Balor call ups, but they could trip into something great... Who knows?  The roster is stacked with talent at least, but it does get frustrating watching it all go to waste.

I only watch bits and pieces on youtube or dailymotion and it even bugs me.  I had the Network for a while, but with Zayn injured and all the call ups, I'm starting to lose faith in NXT.  Obviously I still check out what I want to check out, but it isn't worth the 10 bucks at the moment.  I have no problem with stealing the content if they are doing the same old thing.  Give me something new or a reason to watch the PPV's live and I'll re-up my subscription.

Jesus, the guy dominates Cena for a few months, then loses a single match and Craig goes all emo.

Dude, stop. It's also more than losing a single match. He's dropped two straight matches to Cena, lost the NXT title to Balor, his character changes on a dime to helping out the Authority to stop Brock and his beef with Cena ends while Cena moves onto Rollins. It's much more than Owens losing. It's the repeat pattern of bullshit booking. So many other people don't bother with WWE and point out how this shit happens all the time and there's no use in getting invested. Others and myself say, "no way, not this time, just look at how Owens (in this example) has been booked!" And then it's the same old bullshit. 

I believe he's reacting to Meltzer's "scoop" about Owens since Battleground. Which may or may not be true.

It pretty much sealed it and it confirmed much of what we're all thinking. Honestly, I should apologize to Rippa because I thought, "no way dude, you're reading into Owens being out there too much." Rippa called it before anyone else did. There's varying degrees to how damaging this is, so it's hard to tell what the impact to Owens will be, but it's coming off a loss to Cena and a change in direction, so it can't be good. In Rusev's case, when he was in that 6 man tag months ago, or maybe he was a lumberjack, it tarnished him a bit, but then he continued dominating. In Brock's case, when he was a lumberjack in that match on Raw that had Austin in it, it looked weird, but it was totally insignificant.

Honestly, what bothered me much much more than Owens losing to Cena at Battleground, was Owens being one of the guys that held back Lesnar and the Undertaker. That's when I realized that Owens is just another guy. When he lost at Battleground, I just thought "Ok, they're going for Round 4 or the 4-way Match we speculated about". But then Cena came out during Rollins' promo and everything went to shit...

Days later, it's the nail in the coffin. He's just another dude now. I just hope Owens keeps busting his ass to prove Vince and Dunn wrong and to force their hand. However, Vince and Dunn could just tell the writing staff to stop booking that fat piece of shit in matches.

Another sucky thing about all of this is it's completely reactionary. Owens and Cena don't pop good ratings and move the needle, so once again it's a quick change in direction because it's not Vince's baby. In the Reigns' lead up to Royal Rumble and everything from the Rumble to Wrestlemania, Reigns looked like shit because it was Vince forcing the matter, Reigns didn't bring more viewers, but it didn't matter because that was Vince's baby.

I'm just frustrated is all. For the first time in a long time, I'm really discouraged, but hey, at least I have this sweet Kevin Owens shirt with the red, white and blue stripes that he wore at Elimination Chamber.

Again, the best thing that could happen is that NXT takes off in a big way and the call ups turn more into talent exchanges or something.

• Like 1

R Truth being the one to talk down Brock was another "what the hell are they doing" moment, but that was actually kind of great.  Absolutely no logic to it, but I imagine Brock and Truth eating in catering together now.  Funny.

This company just sort of stumbles into their best characters/moments.  I don't have much faith in the Zayn/Balor call ups, but they could trip into something great... Who knows?  The roster is stacked with talent at least, but it does get frustrating watching it all go to waste.

I only watch bits and pieces on youtube or dailymotion and it even bugs me.  I had the Network for a while, but with Zayn injured and all the call ups, I'm starting to lose faith in NXT.  Obviously I still check out what I want to check out, but it isn't worth the 10 bucks at the moment.  I have no problem with stealing the content if they are doing the same old thing.  Give me something new or a reason to watch the PPV's live and I'll re-up my subscription.

R-Truth as Brock's whacky sidekick would be pretty awesome. Truth as The Fool to Brock's King Lear. He a goofball but he's the only one other than Heyman who can say anything to Brock without getting murdered.

I believe he's reacting to Meltzer's "scoop" about Owens since Battleground. Which may or may not be true.

What "scoop" is that?

It's really baffling sometimes. I watched Raw on monday and felt like vomitting the whole way through. I really thought this was one of those episodes so atrociously awful it just made you want to quit WWE altogether. This just one week after a really good episode of Raw with an amazing Owens/Cesaro/Rusev triple threat, that made you really hopeful for the future. They managed to destroy all of that in just one week.

Of course I then went to DVDVR and people called it one of the best shows of the year and the one guy who dared to say something negative was immediately shouted out of the conversation. I really don't get it sometimes.

There are a LOT of people on the internet who need to stop reading reports and having melodramatic breakdowns over shit that's just as likely to not be true as it is true.

Of course I then went to DVDR and people called it one of the best shows of the year and the one guy who dared to say something negative was immediately shouted out of the conversation. I really don't get it sometimes.

This is also bullshit. No one was given shit for no liking the show, they got "shouted out of the conversation" for walking into the thread, holding their nose and going "eww you guys watch this shit!?"

If that's cool though I'll make sure to drop in every new thread about New Japan and just post the Makabe/Ishii gif and go "you guys watch this garbage???"

Did they just realize Owens is a dude of size?  They hired the guy looking like that because he's a great wrestler with charisma to burn.  The guy lost a little weight but he's never going to look like Vince's fantasy man.  It's not like he was thin and then packed on 20lbs after he showed up on TV.  This is WWE in a nutshell.  No set direction...make a move and then change direction on it a few weeks later.  Vince is a fucking loon.  

To answer the question, I think Punk said something to the effect of, "things will never get better until Vince dies."

Also, it's amazing how, for two ostensibly straight males, Vince and Dunn spend an awful lot of time thinking about other men's bodies.  

So who's the new Wyatt?

Eli Cottonwood?  Bull Dempsey?  Bully Ray?

Far more interesting if they turned someone already on the roster into a Wyatt. 

Option A) Damien Sandow.  Has a beard, has a cool first name, and is down on his luck so Wyatt could convince him that Wyatt could give him the spark he needs to turn it around.  Plus, Damien and Bray could talk philosophically together.

Option B) Sheamus!  Has a beard.  Could be the most interesting thing Sheamus does in his entire WWE career.  Downside: Sheamus face turn when he inevitably splits.

Option C) Goldust!  Goldust mentally breaks when his father dies, Wyatt takes him under his wing, and we get fired up Cody Rhodes as Stardust trying to break Goldust out of Bray's clutches.  Plus Dustin and Harper as a tag team seems like they'd be totally bad ass. 

I'm sure they'll go with Option D - the big dude in the Ascension.

Mark Henry has a beard.

Grizzly Adams did have a beard.

• Like 2

Did they just realize Owens is a dude of size?  They hired the guy looking like that because he's a great wrestler with charisma to burn.  The guy lost a little weight but he's never going to look like Vince's fantasy man.  It's not like he was thin and then packed on 20lbs after he showed up on TV.  This is WWE in a nutshell.  No set direction...make a move and then change direction on it a few weeks later.  Vince is a fucking loon.  

Pretty much this. It's entirely baffling. The only thing I can surmise is this: Owens was a HHH hire, he made enough noise to receive a call up even though the expectation was that he would crash and burn since he doesn't fit the profile for Vince's ideal wrestler, Owens doesn't fall on his face and Vince changes direction anyway. So like you said, why even given him the opportunity? I would rather he stay in NXT.

What I liked about WCW was that the guys you cared about in the lower and mid card were booked like shit, but were given lots of time and freedom to work a match on TV.

It could be a bit frustrating, but in the end, you didn't really care because you got to see them rip it up for 20 minutes once a week.

• Like 1

So who's the new Wyatt?

Eli Cottonwood? Bull Dempsey? Bully Ray?

If they're going to bring in an outside talent, they should clearly bring in the top performer on Destination America...

Psychic Bigfoot.

• Like 2

R Truth being the one to talk down Brock was another "what the hell are they doing" moment, but that was actually kind of great. Absolutely no logic to it, but I imagine Brock and Truth eating in catering together now. Funny.

This company just sort of stumbles into their best characters/moments. I don't have much faith in the Zayn/Balor call ups, but they could trip into something great... Who knows? The roster is stacked with talent at least, but it does get frustrating watching it all go to waste.

I only watch bits and pieces on youtube or dailymotion and it even bugs me. I had the Network for a while, but with Zayn injured and all the call ups, I'm starting to lose faith in NXT. Obviously I still check out what I want to check out, but it isn't worth the 10 bucks at the moment. I have no problem with stealing the content if they are doing the same old thing. Give me something new or a reason to watch the PPV's live and I'll re-up my subscription.

While I agree with most of your criticisms, don't try to use that shit to morally justify stealing. That's like videogame pirates stealing a game and saying, "I shouldn't pay until I know for sure that I like it!"

• Like 1

Oh I'm not trying to justify anything, don't get me wrong. I could care less about the morality of it.

It's just that I WOULD pay them and not because it is the right thing to do. I was just making an anecdotal point about how stagnation effects their $$. I can't be the only one that cancelled the network after Battleground. It's not even that I was super mad or anything, just bored with it.

Oh I'm not trying to justify anything, don't get me wrong. I could care less about the morality of it.

It's just that I WOULD pay them and not because it is the right thing to do. I was just making an antectodotal point about how stagnation effects their $$. I can't be the only one that cancelled the network after Battleground. It's not even that I was super mad or anything, just bored with it.

They stopped getting my money the second NWAClassics.com started. There's like 1 MAYBE 2 dudes working on that site and they can still manage to upload at least 2-3 new matches a day. So fuck WWE Network and their "every few months" uploading schedule for old footage.

It's just that I WOULD pay them and not because it is the right thing to do. I was just making an antectodotal point about how stagnation effects their $$. I can't be the only one that cancelled the network after Battleground. It's not even that I was super mad or anything, just bored with it.

They stopped getting my money the second NWAClassics.com started. There's like 1 MAYBE 2 dudes working on that site and they can still manage to upload at least 2-3 new matches a day. So fuck WWE Network and their "every few months" uploading schedule for old footage.

I doubt we'll even see that out of the WWE Network as far as uploading classic stuff. They've pretty much said the classic footage gets less views than anything they present so, yeah, more reality shows...

*sigh*

I fight my natural urge to hate the "sports entertainment" twist on pro-wrestling. I do pretty well when seeking out stuff to like in Vinnie world but lately I'm pretty sure that what I like is Triple H's stuff. Vince is more than happy to give us Orton vs. Cena vs. Sheamus vs. Big Show vs. Kane forever. If it draws ratings, he doesn't give a flying shit about anything else. It's sad, but it's true. Thus, I don't ever get excited about NXT guys and gals getting called up because I've seen how that game works.  If I want good wrestling on a regular basis, I look elsewhere. If I want fantastic "sports entertainment" I check out a WWE ppv about every three months.

I don't think Cena needed to put Owens over clean. Just keep things interesting. That's all I ask. Some people say wins and losses don't matter. That's true as long as the character on the losing end remains intriguing. 

Owens work in nxt was so much fun. He was far enough away from the WWE machine that he never from the moment he debuted felt like just another guy. Every match (even the ones against Alex Riley) felt important. Every promo was nuanced. Part of this was because Owens was a prize fighter. He doesn't fight unless there is something in it for him. 

They allowed him to bring all of this to the early parts of his feud with Cena. His gimmick was someone who had been wrestling as long as Cena, was just as good as Cena, but was overlooked because he didn't look like Cena. 

Once it started taking off they blew through the rematches when they should have let the feud simmer.

Now that Owens lost the feud, he is not a overlooked wrestler, he is a blowhard with a bad attitude and no direction.

How did we get to a point where Owens is just another cowardly heel in six-man matches the faces will overcome?

Are we jumping to conclusions? Of course we are. Can everything change next week? Of course it can.