DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

And NO ONE has mentioned Taker and Big Show riding bikes through the desert.

I actually kinda like that one! The worst was Taker coming out in like, sweatpants and a t-shirt and doing a classic Russo worked-shoot promo while he stumbled over his lines for whatever reason. That was so bad

Play time's over, sit down and shut up. Later on tonight, there's gonna be a match for the tag team titles between the Acolytes and X-Pac & Kane, whatever whatever, it's not important. The fact of the matter is, this Sunday at Summerslam the winner of that match will come face to face with this. And to make sure that my man was right, this week I put him to the test. I had Paul Bearer call out to California - San Fernando Valley to some associates of ours at the Local 81 - Paul said we're gonna need two bikes for a ride in the desert. The guy said 'Brother Paul, now we know that the Dead Man can handle it, but I don't know about the Big Show. It's August, it's 120 degrees in the middle of Death Valley.' He says 'the only things that survive in the desert are the cold-blooded...the snakes and the lizards.' Paul said 'that's all right, and in one of those bikes that you're setting up for us, I want you the Big Show to only have enough gas to get to the middle of the desert and not get back.' So we're on our way - we get to the middle of Death Valley - 120 degrees, the Big Show's bike runs out of gas. And I pull up next to him and I ask him this question: 'It's 120 degrees, how are you gonna survive?' He looks me straight in the eyes, without hesitation, he says 'I'm gonna wait 'til you go to sleep, I'm gonna stab you in the back, I'm gonna cut your flesh off, make a coat out of it, and I'm gonna eat YOUR flesh until I find food.' I said 'Good answer big man, but I don't sleep,' and I drove off and left him. I waited on the outskirts of the desert. Two days later, he walks out with a snake necktie and lizard boots, carryin' his Harley-Davidson on his shoulder. The point of the story is this. What used to be known as SummerSlam will now be known as Armageddon, and whoever shows up...will be hurt.

He must be talking about a different Taker promo because he's in Taker attire here:

It's crazy that Jericho is only one week removed from his debut in the WWF with The Rock, then interrupting The Undertaker. And his first official feud was... Road Dogg?

He needed to feud with someone he could legit give the double powerbomb to.  Which after August was = nobody.

He didn't look too bad using that move on Angle before Angle got super jacked up.

Go read Cody's post on his wife Eden's blog. Now.

http://www.beingbrandirunnels.com/?p=120

like when at a Waffle House off Canton Road and the chef asked you “is rasslin’ fake??” and you stood up quicker than a cat and slapped him so hard his signature WH toque hat was twisted sideways and you said “was that fake?? Now…I want my hashbrowns covered and smothered…” and you sat down(and you somehow became total buds with that same chef).

• Like 1

And NO ONE has mentioned Taker and Big Show riding bikes through the desert.

I actually kinda like that one! The worst was Taker coming out in like, sweatpants and a t-shirt and doing a classic Russo worked-shoot promo while he stumbled over his lines for whatever reason. That was so bad

Play time's over, sit down and shut up. Later on tonight, there's gonna be a match for the tag team titles between the Acolytes and X-Pac & Kane, whatever whatever, it's not important. The fact of the matter is, this Sunday at Summerslam the winner of that match will come face to face with this. And to make sure that my man was right, this week I put him to the test. I had Paul Bearer call out to California - San Fernando Valley to some associates of ours at the Local 81 - Paul said we're gonna need two bikes for a ride in the desert. The guy said 'Brother Paul, now we know that the Dead Man can handle it, but I don't know about the Big Show. It's August, it's 120 degrees in the middle of Death Valley.' He says 'the only things that survive in the desert are the cold-blooded...the snakes and the lizards.' Paul said 'that's all right, and in one of those bikes that you're setting up for us, I want you the Big Show to only have enough gas to get to the middle of the desert and not get back.' So we're on our way - we get to the middle of Death Valley - 120 degrees, the Big Show's bike runs out of gas. And I pull up next to him and I ask him this question: 'It's 120 degrees, how are you gonna survive?' He looks me straight in the eyes, without hesitation, he says 'I'm gonna wait 'til you go to sleep, I'm gonna stab you in the back, I'm gonna cut your flesh off, make a coat out of it, and I'm gonna eat YOUR flesh until I find food.' I said 'Good answer big man, but I don't sleep,' and I drove off and left him. I waited on the outskirts of the desert. Two days later, he walks out with a snake necktie and lizard boots, carryin' his Harley-Davidson on his shoulder. The point of the story is this. What used to be known as SummerSlam will now be known as Armageddon, and whoever shows up...will be hurt.

He must be talking about a different Taker promo because he's in Taker attire here:

It's crazy that Jericho is only one week removed from his debut in the WWF with The Rock, then interrupting The Undertaker. And his first official feud was... Road Dogg?

It's quite fascinating to read about that period in his second book where he talks about how he came out with such a hot debut then kind of cycled lower and lower down the card and all the mistakes he thought he had made.

Big Show wearing trunks was a weird choice. He should have stuck with the singlet like he wore in WCW. The Big Show is a pretty bad ring name as well. It would have been fine as a nickname, if he had been announced as "The Big Show" Paul Wight.

Wasn't he programmed with Shamrock first before he disappeared completely?

He was, then I believe Shamrock got hurt.  Jericho tells a story about how he was supposed to try to interfere in Shamrock's match, who would turn around and chase him out of the ring.  He said what he didn't know is that Shamrock's kind of nutty, so if he gets told to chase someone, he will 100% try to catch them, not fake-run (Insert Mark Henry GIF) so Jericho had to sprint for his life as Shamrock caught up to him, tackled him and said "I knew I could catch you!"

Big Show wearing trunks was a weird choice. He should have stuck with the singlet like he wore in WCW. The Big Show is a pretty bad ring name as well. It would have been fine as a nickname, if he had been announced as "The Big Show" Paul Wight.

I remember when it was rumored he was jumping to WWE for months and the rumor was he was going to debut as Vince's monster (Which was right) but that he would be called, in an ode to the company name, Titan.  So when he first burst out of the ring and Michael Cole started screaming "THAT'S PAUL WIGHT!", it sounded so silly because nobody knew him by that name and everyone was expecting him to be called 'Titan'.

I like the name The Big Show, though.  I think it's original, easily identifiable, and guys can call him 'Show' for short and it doesn't sound as silly as it does when they say 'Taker' for short.  

As far as WWE names that were bad, I always thought Mankind was bad.  I get that it was Foley scrambling to get away from the awful 'Mason the Mutilator' name and he could use the double-meaning of "Mankind's suffering" but it was such an awkward way for others to address him and once the Mick Foley story got out there, they really should have dumped the Mankind name.

He got rid of the singlet after Chris Jericho, who is the last person you ever want to take fashion advice from, said it looked terrible when they were a tag team.

Him coming out looking like a bald roadblock is suppose to better in Jericho's mind.

I kinda now want to see Cody Rhodes win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

Yup. Me too.

Hold on, let me get this straight. You take a character, add in his real life personality, give him a stated goal and people will actually want to see him on a wrestling show? 

Someone get this to the WWE writers room, STAT. 

• Like 7

I kinda now want to see Cody Rhodes win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

Yup. Me too.

Hold on, let me get this straight. You take a character, add in his real life personality, give him a stated goal and people will actually want to see him on a wrestling show? 

Someone get this to the WWE writers room, STAT. 

I'll really like him when he shows that he just wants to have fun with the WWE Universe.