DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Volcano and Dante's Peak. Armageddon and Deep Impact. The Truman Capote movie with Philip Seymour Hoffman and the Truman Capote movie not with Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Only talking about Keanu.

Also, there was another Capote movie that year?

Volcano and Dante's Peak. Armageddon and Deep Impact. The Truman Capote movie with Philip Seymour Hoffman and the Truman Capote movie not with Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

I don't know how I missed the Keanu part. There was a Capote movie with Toby Jones and Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee that was shelved because of Capote and then quietly released on VOD.

Yes. That's why I'm asking if we count it for Keanu beating "same movie from a different studio" stats.

Might as well. I was going to try and squeeze Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey vs Doctor Who (Paul McGann version) as well, but that was like five years, so never mind. But the whole Time Travellers in a Telephone Box concept is so totally the same and stuff, dude.

Fair enough.

It's amazing how different Dangerous Liaisons is from Valmont while adapting the same fucking novel.*

*technically the former is adapting Christopher Hampton's play that adapted the novel...

Wil wheaton told story recently on a Star Trek pod about how he auditioned for Valmont, but the TNG producers would nt let him miss a week's filing to go to Europe.and. then they dicked him ovee but cutting him from the episode.

Subscription to Fandor is probably the best decision I've made in awhile. Currently doing a Werner Herzog thing, watched Aguirre earlier today, Fitzcarroldo now. Klaus Kinski probably has the best best face in film history.

Couple days ago, watched The 10th Victim, a mid-60s Italian entry in the dystopian-violent-spectacle-to-quell-the-populace genre, like The Running Man, Hunger Games, Death Race 2000 et al. Super mod, Ursulla Andress is hunting Marcello Mastroianni (the 10th victim of the title) for a million dollars and freedom from playing the game. Fun little movie, but relies too much on fake outs at the end. Imagery is great though.

10th-4.jpg

WGsloeX.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed the Keanu part. There was a Capote movie with Toby Jones and Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee that was shelved because of Capote and then quietly released on VOD.

Funny you mention that as I just finished reading In Cold Blood and rented Capote through Amazon.

The Thomas Crown Affair (remake) and Entrapment started out as the same film. A writer got fired from one, put a new name on his best version of the script, and sold it to a different studio.

Then again (this has nothing to do with two studios making the same movie at the same time), Die Hard was originally titled Commando 2. John McClane was John Matrix. His daughter was Chenny.

I watched Safety Not Guaranteed. It was OK, but it's one of those movies with the Truman Show structure, where the whole plot is building to a point at which everything will change - so you expect that this will be the end of act 2 and start of act 3. But instead, the world changing event is the final shot of the movie and you have to guess what the consequences of it are, in your head. I find that sort of thing extremely frustrating. Good characters, good performances, but they didn't tell the whole story. It has a beginning and a middle.