DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Yep. I have heard so many fucked-up things about police (and crime) in and around Oakland from friends that live out there. I think one of the last things was they were installing a computer database that chooses sectors to pre-police, assuming there will be crime there no matter what. That's just plain creepy.

It's there's any city where a police station designed to look like a dystopian sci-fi movie is appropriate, it's Oakland.

Yeah, one of the local sports radio guys went to Oakland to cover the NBA Finals and he was talking about the HUGE police presence after every game because people were getting robbed/carjacked/mugged as they left the arena to return to the suburbs.

See, I liked the "Oakland PD are a dystopian police force" thing when I thought it was just an architectural joke.   

Knowing it's 100% real just makes me sad.   

Hey, if you guys stop posting here randomly, I will immediately assume it's because you got arrested and tortured to death with Room 101, Glee songs and some Thunder in Paradise episodes. 

My girlfriend gave me her login for HBO GO so I could watch True Detective and I started flipping through the movies available. Some good stuff I plan to catch up with. Sadly, the first movie I actually watched was Home Alone 3. I can't explain why I did but as I expected it was a pretty nothing movie, lacking all the charm of the first two.

I also watched X-Men: Days of Future Past. I didn't love it like some of you guys here but I thought it was decent. I felt like I enjoyed First Class was more enjoyable but I haven't watched it since it came out in theaters.

I felt like watching some cartoons so I was flipping through the kids on demand section and decided to watch the Scooby Doo! Wrestle mania Mystery. It was a pretty fun watch I thought. Not big on Shaggy's voice actor but oh well. There was a joke about the gang always wearing the same clothes that made me laugh harder than it should have probably. I also really loved that The Miz was running and listening to his own theme song. For some reason that had me rolling.

So, The Dissolve was abruptly shuttered yesterday. I thought it was a good little film criticism site, but I guess it was inevitable after a lot of their top line talent started fleeing the ship a while back. Their week-long discussions of classic movies were almost always enlightening, and I liked several of their recurring features, like Forgotbusters and the Laser Age series (a history of sci-fi on film that spent as much time, if not more, on oddball or obscure stuff as the major touchstones).

I will miss it.

I really want somebody on this board to run a best of the half decade film poll (2010-2014) but I really don't feel like tallying or doing the results myself (Plus, if you guys know me and how long I dilly-dally on the best of the year movie polls, you'd know this best of the half-decade would likely run into 2016).  Somebody do it for me!

• Like 1

I really want somebody on this board to run a best of the half decade film poll (2010-2014) but I really don't feel like tallying or doing the results myself (Plus, if you guys know me and how long I dilly-dally on the best of the year movie polls, you'd know this best of the half-decade would likely run into 2016).  Somebody do it for me!

I might be up for helping you. My life is just as busy and chaotic, but I could definitely help out with scoring and some of the write up stuff if you want to do it in tandem, Caley.

• Like 1

Saw Minions this afternoon. Pretty good. Xav loved it, but he's 11, and really liked both Despicable Me films. 

I might be up for helping you. My life is just as busy and chaotic, but I could definitely help out with scoring and some of the write up stuff if you want to do it in tandem, Caley.

I dunno. LOL.  I really wanted to do NOTHING but vote. I'm not particularly busy, just lazy!

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jul/20/nicolas-cage-frozen-ground

This article about Nicolas Cage is a couple of years old, but I just stumbled across it and found it fascinating. He responds to a lot of the perceptions about his career and personal life point by point. I love that he refers to the internet's consensus about him being affection loaded with irony.

I saw it was pretty damn low on RT.  I figure if a movie is 80%+  I will probably watch it no matter what. If it's between 50% and 80% there's a good chance I might still like it, maybe even love it.  If it's the 40% range I might get around to it.  Below 40% and it's pretty unlikely I will ever watch it unless it's Transformers because every once in a while I like to punish myself.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember a movie that came out in the late 70's/early 80's about a man and woman who fall in love, and the woman's daughter has a terminal illness.

The girl performs in The Nutcracker and then dies in the hospital just hours later.

I think it maybe starred either Dudley Moore or Dustin Hoffman.

How wasn't Kill The Messenger a bigger deal than what it was? I watched it yesterday and its a great show, dialogue is a little choppy and you REALLY have to concentrate on the story but Jeremy Renner brings the goods in this, really acts his ass off. 8/10

Focus was a good film too, funny and some great scenes in it, Will Smith is as smooth as ever and Margot Robbie is HOT but she can also really act. The two of them have great chemistry and should be great in Suicide Squad. 7/10

I agree with the last two posts, but I have to say Chappie has to be one of the worst movies I've seen. Just from a cohesion and logic standpoint, I don't think anything made sense. I went in with low expectations and was just blown away that this movie was so terrible.

Are studios not watching what Blomkamp is putting out or are they just too confident that District 9 wasn't a fluke? Before he starts work on the Alien movie, someone needs to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with him before they end up with one of the biggest flops ever.

• Like 1

The weird thing is that having Die Anterwood in the film (playing versions of themselves?) isn't even the most baffling part. I mean, he almost made that work. The real issue is that he doesn't seem to understand human motivations. Or dialogue. The people in PROMETHEUS acted more humanly. And sensibly.