DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I purchased Ex Machina yesterday at Best Buy.  I am pretty excited to check that one out.

Also, I checked out Slow West on Sunday. I definitely recommend that everyone see that film for end of the year 2015 consideration.

I purchased Ex Machina yesterday at Best Buy. I am pretty excited to check that one out.

Also, I checked out Slow West on Sunday. I definitely recommend that everyone see that film for end of the year 2015 consideration.

Ex Machina is a good film,Oscar Isaac is great in it. Enjoy

Recently watched

Sleepwalk With Me which I actually ended up really loving.  It's about a struggling standup comedian (I don't mean the usual movie/TV struggling standup comedian whose jokes KILL every time but he just can't get his big break, rather one who gets five minutes here and there and his stuff doesn't really make people laugh) who gets all stressed out about getting married and starts not only sleepwalking, but acting out his dreams in his sleep.  As he starts to get more of foothold in the comedy world, his sleepwalking gets worse, his relationship gets worse.  It's actually really funny, has a couple big-name comedians playing comedians (Marc Maron, Hannibal Burress), surprisingly empathetic, and just a nice breezy, well-made little watch.

Blade: I had never seen this before, and it was on my Summer Watching List, and it was good.  Really violent, decent effects.  I actually expected to like this, in spite of Wesley Snipes, who mostly doesn't do much for me, but he ended up being the best part of the film.

The Punk Singer: Saw a bit of this on the Sundance channel the other day and DVRed it to watch later.  Really fascinating look at Kathleen Hanna, the frontwoman for 90s riot grrl/punk group Bikini Kill.  The concert footage is pretty mesmerizing in this because Hanna's such a fascinating live performer.  It's kinda neat to watch her grow and evolve and change (Through old archival/interview clips) and it's especially funny/interesting to see her relationship develop with Adam Horovitz of the Beastie Boys (At one point she discusses how she was wondering how she could be this staunch feminist and date the guy who had a song about needing girls to do his laundry and it's really sweet and funny) and see how/why she basically fell off the planet in the early 2000s.  Also, I'd never really heard much Bikini Kill before watching this but now I kinda think I love it.  Good watch.

Finally saw Grand Budapest Hotel over the weekend- it is wonderful. Love the matryoshka doll aspect to all the different timelines and it is gorgeous to watch and to listen to (dig the jazzy soundtrack). Maybe the most Wes Andersonny movie ever, in the best way possible.

• Like 4

I was very disappointed with Train Wreck. Even though it says "written by Amy Schumer," Judd Apatow's fingerprints are all over this.  It was more of a dramedy rather than the straight comedy the trailers would make you think it is.  

The Colin Quinn scenes are painful to sit through for anyone who

has had a loved one die in a nursing home

and completely drag down the film.  The subplot with Brie Larsen's "sensitive" stepson is completely extraneous and does nothing to advance the plot.  Both it and the Colin Quinn scenes could have been jettisoned to shorten the running time and tighten the plot to focus on the main love story.

Apatow's insistence on injecting drama into the film really hurts thing and I can't help but wonder what the film would have been like if Seth MacFarlane or another "slapstick" director had taken Schumer's script and handled rewrites and directing.

I thought Trainwreck was pretty good, both Lebron and Cena killed in their roles. Agreed on the dramedy point, yet another hallmark of Apatow, along with a far too long running time. There were quite a few scenes I was dying laughing at; the rest of the theater, sans one other guy and my wife, seemed completely unaware of what they had gotten themselves into. Also, there were maybe 15 people in the theater, at a 10PM show, that can't be good.

Rookie of the Year is on Encore right now. Made me think of a conversation in the DC thread that I wanted to continue here. The loss of Rowengardner hurt them, but the loss of the a Rocket didn't. It was apparent at the beginning of the movie he was definitely struggling and only had that one good game at the end with the Mets. We never really got to see who the true ace was.

And I didnt realize the guy who played the Janitor in Scrubs is in this movie.

Watching CHAPPiE. Holy shit the writing is terrible. Just head-scratchingly awful. But it looks great so far. This seems to be Blomkamp's MO.

CHAPPIE blew goats.  I really liked District 9 but my criticism of Elysium is well known.  The whole Humans Suck And Here's Why sci-fi catalogue of Bloomkamp is beginning to grate on my nerves

• Like 1

I hung out with a chick on Saturday, and she has Hulu Plus. She sez, "You like movies ... what do you wanna watch?"

Double feature of "The Blob" (original) and "Destroy All Monsters."

She did not seem impressed.

On the other hand: "Mosura!"

I thought Trainwreck was really funny and sweet. Amy Schumer is incredibly talented and has really taken it to the next level. There were a few things that could have been edited out of the movie to make it tighter but nothing they left in ruined the movie.

I go to about three movies a year. I'm glad this was one of them.

• Like 2

I hung out with a chick on Saturday, and she has Hulu Plus. She sez, "You like movies ... what do you wanna watch?"

you realize the whole "let's hang out and watch movies" is code, right?

• Like 1

you realize the whole "let's hang out and watch movies" is code, right?

Hey, I haven't had more than sporadic access to a working TV in almost three years, so when I do get a chance I'm watching some shit, punani be damned.

• Like 1

I saw Trainwreck over the weekend I thought it was really funny for most of it. Then it seemed like the last half hour or so just dragged. I think a lot of comedies fall into this trap. It goes from consistent laughs most of the movie and then it has to get serious at the end and it makes it drag. Leslie Jones cameo was awesome and Method Man's character was fun as well. 

I just walked back in the door from going to pick up my check and the TV was still on, only it was playing the end of Blown Away. What the fuck did I just watch? How did Tommy Lee Jones playing another psychotic villain slip through the cracks on me? Is this actually worth watching all the way through?

• Like 1

I just walked back in the door from going to pick up my check and the TV was still on, only it was playing the end of Blown Away. What the fuck did I just watch? How did Tommy Lee Jones playing another psychotic villain slip through the cracks on me? Is this actually worth watching all the way through?

This is a ridiculously awesome bad movie that yes, you must watch.

• Like 1

How did Tommy Lee Jones playing another psychotic villain slip through the cracks on me? 

Blown Away suffered from the 'Two studios made the same movie at the same time' curse. And because the other Mad Bomber movie hired Keanu Reeves*, it won.

* If you want to make the same movie as another studio is also making, cast Keanu Reeves in your movie. He guarantees victory.