DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Man - last month's thread was only 4 pages.

Either we all hate movies now or we only watch movies that already have their own thread.

I mean I am not one to talk since the last thing I watched was Fast Five and now I have to find that thread.

For those who haven't gone into the 2015 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool Topic...or want to see it again:

Bonus (in spoiler tags to make post smaller):

• Like 1

Man - last month's thread was only 4 pages.

Either we all hate movies now or we only watch movies that already have their own thread.

I mean I am not one to talk since the last thing I watched was Fast Five and now I have to find that thread.

May is the new June as far as blockbusters go and Jurassic World really did deserve it's own thread since it will probably be this summers reigning king of the box office.

I watched the second Major League before the first when I was pretty young. When I finally saw the original I was shocked that Wild Thing's ex-girlfriend wasn't in it. I had just assumed she was a big part of Major League canon.

Edit: Holy shit, the love interest was Connie Conehead!

Random question: Did they ever mention why Major League 2 was rated PG, when the first was rated R? I loved the 2nd more when I was younger, but the first has grown on me now that I'm older.

I too had an irrational love for 2 when I was a kid, I've noticed the older I got, the balance between the two shifted. With a more discerning eye its amazing how different the two films are, Omar Epps vs. Wesley Snipes not withstanding. It's like 2 is the Saturday morning cartoon version of a rated R movie.

Okay so outside of There Will Be Blood which is always fantastic I recently watched 

Edge of Tomorrow -  Something about this didn't quite click with me. I enjoyed it but I was expecting to be blown away because of how much my friends and critics had pimped it. It was a fun ride and Cruise was a nut. I liked it but didn't love it.

The Omen - I guess this could go in the horror thread too.  I don't remember the last time I saw it but it was creepy. I watched it at night. It was raining outside. The nanny hanging herself at Damian's birthday party will never not fuck me up before going to bed.

Transformers: Age of Extinction -  No, just no. This was nearly 3 hours long! I don't think it was quite as bad as some others but way too fucking long. By the time the Dinobots show up I had stopped caring.

More later..

Just watched KINGSMAN.  Had zero expectations and actually ended up enjoying it a good bit.  It was cheesy, and campy, but it embraced every bit of it.  Somewhat reminded me of THE BIG HIT mixed with some British humor.  The fight scenes had that weird Zack Snyder style, but it fit the tone of the film.  Pretty clever use of the soundtrack too.  I mean, a major fight scene inside of a Westboro inspire church while "Freebird" plays was a thing that happened.  Fun flick.

• Like 1

I watched Extraterrestrial a second time.  Aside from the seemingly tacked on anal probe scene, I was very pleased by this.  I don't think there's anything new going on here, but it was a good ride, had two good endings, and got some decent scares.  I mean, I'm not saying it's great or anything, but you could do worse.

And I'm pretty sure the studio told them they had to do the anal probe scene.  It just looks like something that was filmed way after the rest of the movie was already done.  "But we need a hashtag!" #getprobed.  Actually in the trailer.  sigh.

Rewatched

-Kings of Summer which is awesome.  I literally just found out that Biaggio is the weird annoying kid from Hannah Montana...not that I ever watched Hannah Montana...

-This Is Where I Leave You: which is really predictable and kinda phony, but you get such good performances out of Jason Bateman, Adam Driver and Timothy Olyphant that I'm more willing to overlook its faults.

-Army of Darkness: why haven't they made a sequel to this?!  Especially with all the zombie stuff out there, Ash vs. zombies sounds like such a good time.  "Gimme some sugar, baby"

-Army of Darkness: why haven't they made a sequel to this?!  Especially with all the zombie stuff out there, Ash vs. zombies sounds like such a good time.  "Gimme some sugar, baby"

I believe we are getting a tv series.

Awesome.

Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to watch it in Canada...I assume it will be on one of our several shitty streaming things like Shomi or Crave.

Here's another thing for you Americans to be thankful for, you don't have several shitty streaming companies competing for your monthly streaming dollar, you can pretty much get away with just Netflix.  In Canada, there's two or three of them.

Evil Dead 4 should have continued the Director Cut ending of AOD. After Buffy the Vampire Slayer was done, I really thought the actor that played Xander was a lock to play Ash's descendant.

B7V09LJCcAAlUFZ.jpg

This is a recent shot of Bejing.

Between this and that story last week about the robot at that factory killing a guy, is it now time to call Blade Runner the most accurate depiction of the future in a film ever?

CI3_VjuVEAA_F0S.jpg

I saw this a few weeks ago. I love it because it is honestly like the architect sat down and said "Hey, let's make a real life police station look like something out of a dystopia sci-fi movie where the cops rule with an iron fist."

You'd walk in and half expect to see Judge Dredd. 

• Like 1

CI3_VjuVEAA_F0S.jpg

I saw this a few weeks ago. I love it because it is honestly like the architect sat down and said "Hey, let's make a real life police station look like something out of a dystopia sci-fi movie where the cops rule with an iron fist."

You'd walk in and half expect to see Judge Dredd. 

Or Robocop and an ED209 guarding the front door.

• Like 1