DVDVR Message Board

Happy Birthday Rocky Horror!

WholeFnMachine

I was in the audience a few times when the in thing to do in college was go see Rocky Horror at the Naro Expanded Cinema in Ghent, a sub-section of Norfolk, VA.

As far as I know, it still shows every second and fourth Friday of the month and tix for the show on Halloween night are always half price.

Oy. Entirely too long (Since 1995). Our last 3 shows in L.A, have sold out though, so that's nice. We even had a family this past weekend dressed all to the nines. The father has terminal cancer, so one of his last wishes was to bring his family to the show.

Posted Image

Here's the bunch of us with Barry Bostwick before performing in front of 2000 outside the LA Colisseum last month.

Nothing in my area tonight. It's also more of a Halloween tradition around here as well. They sell the Blu Ray at Walmart for $15 for anyone wanting to upgrade their old DVD version.

It's on 23rd St. Nobody's doing a show on the actual anniversary, but there's a show on Friday and Saturday nights.

• Like 1

Senior year of High School and freshman year of college I went to Rocky Horror almost every other weekend. I never dressed up, but was one of those crowd guys with the jokes. It was always so much fun. It's funny, just the other day I was talking about it with a young friend who was going on about how it was a shitty movie but the songs were good. Of course she was someone who had only watched it at home on DVD, which does suck. She had no idea about the live experience. I remember it being one of those movies we clamored for to finally be available and once they did and you got it home you realized, "Why the fuck am I watching this by myself?"  :lol:

But at the theatres, it remains one of my favorite memories.

• Like 1

It's on 23rd St. Nobody's doing a show on the actual anniversary, but there's a show on Friday and Saturday nights.

Sadly I'm in upstate NY and not in the city. Years ago before Regal Cinemas came to the area, we had a Hellman UA theatre that showed RHPS at midnight on Fridays and The Song Remains The Same at midnight on Saturdays. Now it's just shown once a year and I only have one friend that still gets dressed up to go to the event.

I started going the summer after my first year of college and went almost every Friday till around the time I graduated.  It was a way to get away from my roommates on Fridays and it catered to other people like myself who didn't always fit in at the popular nightspots and I met several friends I'm still close to today.  Granted I didn't go as often after I turned 21 but I still probably went well over 100 times.  Eventually I had other stuff going on that got in the way, not to mention the theater was about 80 miles from where I lived.  The audience also stayed in the late teens-early 20s demographic and the older I got the more it seemed like effort and more out of place I felt.  I've not been back since 2004 and every once in a while I think about going back, but I'd rather preserve my memories and not feel like the creepy old guy I'd see in the crowd every once in a while.