DVDVR Message Board

JULY! is THE MONTH OF METAL DISCOVERY! here at the DVDVRMB

DEAN

Today I was surfing around and found out that two of my favorite South American (specifically, Peruvian) bands have put out new albums. Both have incredibly foul and awesome names and both have that super-intense Sudamericano brutality but with way more clarity and originality than a lot of these Blasphemy-ripping war metal bands around the globe do. Goat Semen in particular has been refining themselves for fifteen years before finally putting out their debut (I'm sure that has a lot to do with poverty too but hey, they've played Japan and you haven't). 

Vice/Noisey did a pretty good interview with them: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/goat-semen-interview-2015

A little less black than the last time I heard them, but the riffs and drumming on this are top notch. BTW, you can find many more tracks from both these new albums on the Youtubes, so take a look if interested.

I'm not sure when this happened, but Ghost has suddenly become my favorite band:

I dig this. 

And this.

Monolord PLUS Lucifer Rising by Kenneth Anger!  

---------------

This sounds like the first Swans record.

------------------

The live Monolord.

-------------------

More heaviness.

Someone mentioned Dead and Mayhem, so I figured I'd post this, which was an instrumental rehearsal they did which ended up recorded and bootlegged. It's probably my favorite thing from that era of black metal: 

I'm always too busy buying re-releases from 20 Buck Spin to get the bands they actually put out themselves, but this is pretty solid. Kind of a stonier Solstice (UK) to my ears. 

This Khemmis is great.  Couldn't find a youtube of "The Bereaved" though.  Just beautiful stuff.

Autopsy and Manilla Road came in today

so I went and ordered the first Bathory and Candlemass albums for a Swedish feast

Guess I'm going with the old '80s yuppie adage of "who dies with the most toys wins". At least I'll be nice enough to bequeath these to someone after my liver finally gives out.

• Like 1

This song wins for "most heavy metal song title ever". Also they're one of those death metal bands that just blatantly rip off early Entombed as best as they are able.

They definitely have a big early Autopsy vibe about them in the slow parts, but I would nail them for an earlier Swedish band than Entombed (besides the vocals, which are close) -- maybe Merciless or one of those other pre-death thrashy bands. Good stuff but their logo is shitty. As is Relapse.

Speaking ex-Angelcorpse, I like Blasphemic Cruelty better, sounds more like what I wish Angelcorpse had with the thrash influence on their first album:

EDIT: And going even further back in time to post-Order from Chaos, while Pete went on to write weird pseudo-fascist manifestos and rip off Morbid Angel in Angelcorpse, Chuck and Mike formed this awesome band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U35ufNqp50U