DVDVR Message Board

JULY! is THE MONTH OF METAL DISCOVERY! here at the DVDVRMB

DEAN

Does Deafheaven count as Shoegaze metal? They have a bit of a black metal feel as well, but there are certainly more expansive parts.

Oh yeah. They started the whole ball rolling on my FB page.

*ahem* To keep this thread METAL, as in the kind of metal where the only time you gaze at its shoes is when it kicks you in the teeth with a pair of steel-toed Docs, here's a newer band that I've been digging on, Gravehill from Anaheim. Weird mix that I can't quite pin down. I hear Autopsy, Destruction, Aussie war metal (sans the blasts). They proudly proclaim themselves death metal but aside from the Autopsy influence, I wouldn't immediately pin them down as a typical band from the genre, which is a high compliment from me. Their second LP is what I played in the car on a stormy night tonight back from work and it hit the spot. Follow the tracks as they switch, starts with your typical intro

EDIT: Oh, and if you sit all the way through (or skip forward), they have a buried secret cover of AC/DC's "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)", which is the only time the terms "pitchshifted death vocals" and "AC/DC" have ever come together.

• Like 2

*ahem* To keep this thread METAL, as in the kind of metal where the only time you gaze at its shoes is when it kicks you in the teeth with a pair of steel-toed Docs, here's a newer band that I've been digging on, Gravehill from Anaheim. Weird mix that I can't quite pin down. I hear Autopsy, Destruction, Aussie war metal (sans the blasts). They proudly proclaim themselves death metal but aside from the Autopsy influence, I wouldn't immediately pin them down as a typical band from the genre, which is a high compliment from me. Their second LP is what I played in the car on a stormy night tonight back from work and it hit the spot. Follow the tracks as they switch, starts with your typical intro

EDIT: Oh, and if you sit all the way through (or skip forward), they have a buried secret cover of AC/DC's "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)", which is the only time the terms "pitchshifted death vocals" and "AC/DC" have ever come together.

This is my fave so far. 

And then I heard this one.

• Like 1

Here's one I stole from a friend's external hard drive recently that I never heard. Hexx was from the Bay Area and were initially traditional/power metal, moving to power/thrash, then to full-on death/thrash. This is their last album and is quite the ripper. Not as fast as their SF mates Sadus but close. I really need to check out those earlier albums. 

I posted this in the metal thread awhile back but here it is again. Totally awesome. Features Felix from DRI on drums (!). Sound nothing like DRI. 

• Like 1

That is the weirdest fucking way to explain what Bat sound like. I mean I would have just gone with "Venom + War and Pain-era Voivod" as an easy description. Then again, they are on Tankcrimes, so...?

I think are both perfectly fine descriptions and lean towards Municipal Waste since they are from the neighborhood.  But yeah, total Venom.

Here's one I stole from a friend's external hard drive recently that I never heard. Hexx was from the Bay Area and were initially traditional/power metal, moving to power/thrash, then to full-on death/thrash. This is their last album and is quite the ripper. Not as fast as their SF mates Sadus but close. I really need to check out those earlier albums. 

I dig this.

And this.

And also this.

I dig that Ghost Bath record the kids in the music blog thing talked about. 

Ghost Bath is fake Chinese. It's a white dude from North Dakota.

For real Chinese, try these:

I dig this.

------------------------------

The guitars are totes cool on this.

Having acquired the awesome Carnage LP, I went ahead today and ordered the following on LP as well. 

The Alpha and Omega of death metal... well, actually, Mental Funeral is, but this is close. Rips your heart out and shoves it down your throat as it rips your guts out and shoves them up your ass. 

I really can't describe in words how special this album is to me. People get turned off by Mark's vocals, but they shouldn't. This is sublime and magical, dark and potent music that has something that nothing else holds. The closest you can get is Cirith Ungol or Brocas Helm and you still can't nail it better than this.

EDIT: Since I can't post all of Crystal Logic, here's more Manilla

• Like 1

I apologize. I'm a complete asshole when it comes to metal. You certainly aren't in the wrong for trying to contribute, I just always have to say something mean just because. It's why even my own friends call me an 'elitist'. I accept my own hostility and presumptuous nature, and am doing my best to admit and stop it from coming out so much. Like any person in an anger management course or 12-step program.

And hey, even I can be a complete fool lacking proper qualifications! For example, until right now I had never listened to these albums:

• Like 1

Hey it is late and I am drunk (what else is new). Here is a classic death metal comp featuring the late Per Yngve Ohlin (AKA Dead) singing in his only studio tracks for Mayhem, the superb pre-At the Gates band Grotesque, and a bunch of other amazing tunes to grind your mind to. On Chicken Brain Records!