DVDVR Message Board

Beer recommendations

Mike Campbell

It's funny.  You're either an IPA person or a wheat beer person.  I hate wheat beer, for the most part, while everyone I've met who hates IPAs loves wheat beers.

I'll try to keep this thread current -- I'll let you all know what I drink this weekend ?  Since I've been working hard to lose weight, beer is for weekends only.  Weeknights are for hard liquor.

BTW, I also had some Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA this past weekend.  Not overly great but not bad at all.  Pretty much the example of what your standard IPA would taste like.  It's not taking any risks but I'd rather have that then something that tastes like stale OJ.

I'm a big fan of sour ales and I'm enjoying seeing their rise in popularity lately since up until now everyone and their mother came out with an IPA.

Wheat beer I'm not a huge fan of either. It needs to be fairly light at least.

• Like 1

I used to be all about wheat beers and porters and hated IPAs.  But once I found IPAs that didn't have an extremely hoppy vibe to then I started to like them quite a bit.  Now I'll try all kinds of beers and hope for the best.  But if I had to choose I do tend to go for the heavier beers such as imperial porters and the like.

As for standout beers I had one that comes to mind is Founders Old Curmudgeon's Better Half.  It's an old ale that's got molasses and was aged in oak.  But the aging in bourbon barrels on top of that really made it stand out.  It's insanely delicious but at 12.7% it'll kick your ass if you're not careful.  I've had plenty of beers where you get a ton of bourbon but not much flavor or sweetness.  This one to me was balanced quite nicely where you definitely get the molasses while the bourbon vibe gets you in the aftertaste.  I would highly recommend it if you come across it.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

BTW, I also had some Heavy Seas Loose Cannon IPA this past weekend.  Not overly great but not bad at all.  Pretty much the example of what your standard IPA would taste like.  It's not taking any risks but I'd rather have that then something that tastes like stale OJ.

I still have quite a fondness for Loose Cannon.  They were the first MD craft brewery I fell in love with and if there aren't many options at a bar that'll be my go-to.  I was fortunate enough to try it on cask a few times at Admiral Fell Inn.  There was a ton more depth to it and made for an incredibly tasty beer that you don't get from the regular version.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I still have quite a fondness for Loose Cannon.  They were the first MD craft brewery I fell in love with and if there aren't many options at a bar that'll be my go-to.  I was fortunate enough to try it on cask a few times at Admiral Fell Inn.  There was a ton more depth to it and made for an incredibly tasty beer that you don't get from the regular version.

I used to really enjoy their Small Craft Warning "Imperial Pilsner." It was really tasty and strong at 7%, but they discontinued it a long time ago. 

Speaking of Baltimore connections, I see Oliver beers on sale and on tap where I live and work here in the northern DC suburbs.  Does the Oliver family still own them or did they sell off the name to a bigger brewery?  I worked for them as a cook in the restaurant where they originally made their beer.  Holy shit, I just broke out the calculator and realized that was 26 years ago.  ?

I used to hate IPA's, but after a while I started coming around. I'm totally on the hazy IPA bandwagon. A couple friends from back east have sent me a bunch of different ones, which have been really good stuff. And, now they seem to finally be making their way to my area. 

43 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of Baltimore connections, I see Oliver beers on sale and on tap where I live and work here in the northern DC suburbs.  Does the Oliver family still own them or did they sell off the name to a bigger brewery?  I worked for them as a cook in the restaurant where they originally made their beer.  Holy shit, I just broke out the calculator and realized that was 26 years ago. 

They sold it but I don't believe it was to a bigger brewery.  So AFAIK it's still truly them which is great for me.

• Like 1

This weekend's beer was Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA.  I guess it's supposed to be like level 2 of their flagship beer.  Take their normal pale ale, add some more hops, flavor, and alcohol, and there you have it.  I guess I'd rate it slightly above average but not great.  As I mentioned, it is a little more flavorful than regular Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but it's still not nearly flavorful as it should be.  I don't think I really developed a taste for it until maybe halfway through my second bottle, like "does this taste like much at all....oh, wait, there it is."  YMMV.  I wouldn't avoid it but I would make a special trip to try it, either.

This weekend: not sure yet.  On one hand, I want to go find the Sierra Nevada beer they made to benefit the wildfire victims.  But in the other hand, that's too much Sierra Nevada too soon.  I may hit the more upscale beer and wine place that's sort of near work and get a mixed DIY six pack.

Edited by Technico Support

If you want to drink Sierra Nevada but don't want to drink Sierra Nevada, here's two things you can do:

1. Work your way through the California IPA Standbys. This would include Firestone Walker (old school: Union Jack, new school: Luponic Distortion), Bear Republic (Racer 5), Lagunitas (IPA, Lil' Sumpin Sumpin, 12th of Never), and since you're in DC you might be able to find a bunch of stuff from Modern Times (Orderville, City of the Sun, Fortunate Islands) and to a lesser extent Stone (because they make too much shit to keep up with). It would have been great to recommend anything from Alpine but when Green Flash fucked up everything - and I mean everything - they took that world-class brand with them. Ballast Point (Sculpin) is sorta on this list but they've been struggling since they sold the brand to Corona for a billion dollars. Boo hoo.

2. Sierra Nevada makes a lot of good beers that are not remotely close to IPA. Their German-style game is particularly strong, they've never made a pilsner less than great, their Oktoberfest series might be the best in the country, and their Kellerweis is one of the best wheat beers out there.

Of course if I were you I'd just post up at Right Proper every day and drink their 3-point-something percent Berlinerweisses but that's a level of geekdom that comes with time.

• Like 2

Also - Oliver's Brewing is owned by the 206 restaurant group, who own the Pratt Street Ale House by Camden Yards, Five & Dime on the Avenue in Hampden, the Ale House in Colombia + the Park Tavern in Severna Park. But if you're an old Oliver head you can still usually find something of theirs on cask at the back bar at the Wharf Rat. The beer is still being brewed by the same British ex-pat metalhead, who is still only vaguely aware of modern beer trends and still names his beers after albums he likes. They have a four pack of four different DIPAs out right now that's still fresh and pretty fun.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If you want to drink Sierra Nevada but don't want to drink Sierra Nevada, here's two things you can do:

1. Work your way through the California IPA Standbys. This would include Firestone Walker (old school: Union Jack, new school: Luponic Distortion), Bear Republic (Racer 5), Lagunitas (IPA, Lil' Sumpin Sumpin, 12th of Never), and since you're in DC you might be able to find a bunch of stuff from Modern Times (Orderville, City of the Sun, Fortunate Islands) and to a lesser extent Stone (because they make too much shit to keep up with). It would have been great to recommend anything from Alpine but when Green Flash fucked up everything - and I mean everything - they took that world-class brand with them. Ballast Point (Sculpin) is sorta on this list but they've been struggling since they sold the brand to Corona for a billion dollars. Boo hoo.

2. Sierra Nevada makes a lot of good beers that are not remotely close to IPA. Their German-style game is particularly strong, they've never made a pilsner less than great, their Oktoberfest series might be the best in the country, and their Kellerweis is one of the best wheat beers out there.

Of course if I were you I'd just post up at Right Proper every day and drink their 3-point-something percent Berlinerweisses but that's a level of geekdom that comes with time.

Thanks!  I've tried some of the ones you mention.  Quick stream-of-consciousness shit: I love everything I've tried by Lagunitas except for DayTime IPA, which tastes like someone made a half and half with regular IPA and water.  I don't know if Stone overcarbonates or what but I get major stomach issues when I drink their beers.  Racer 5, I had years ago and remember enjoying, but nobody near me (Montgomery County) carries it.  I had whatever Ballast Point's flagship beer is (Sculpin) and thought it was aggressively average.

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Also - Oliver's Brewing is owned by the 206 restaurant group, who own the Pratt Street Ale House by Camden Yards, Five & Dime on the Avenue in Hampden, the Ale House in Colombia + the Park Tavern in Severna Park. But if you're an old Oliver head you can still usually find something of theirs on cask at the back bar at the Wharf Rat. The beer is still being brewed by the same British ex-pat metalhead, who is still only vaguely aware of modern beer trends and still names his beers after albums he likes. They have a four pack of four different DIPAs out right now that's still fresh and pretty fun.

Interesting!  I worked at the Pratt Street Wharf Rat in the early 90s when the actual Olivers owned that and the one on Ann Street.

11 hours ago, driver said:

I second the love for Zombie Dust. I love IPAs. My go to's are either Dogfishead 60 Minute or Founder's All Day IPA.

I like the Dogfish 60 and the 90.  The 120 is gross.  They bottled a 75 Minute IPA, marketed as a combo of 60 and 90 with some maple syrup and it was really good.  Might still be on shelves.  They also have it in their restaurants but I think they just pour half 60 and half 90 without the maple. 

I'm going to the high-end beer store today; I'll see if they have Zombie Dust.

Any Lagunitas drinkers here notice any change in quality since the sale to Heineken? 

21 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Thanks for that.  I was trying to find that before without much luck.  The Ale House is next to my work though I feel weird going on a work day, even on lunch break.  But I tend to go once in awhile to catch their seasonal stuff.  They were the first ones I saw that did the Cherry Blossom ale that was good though I've had better ones since then.  But I tend to like their fall/winter seasonals better and the main stuff is still quite good.

As for Wharf Rat I strongly recommend the casks at the back bar.  Unless something else grabs my attention those are always my go-to and rarely if ever disappoint.  I absolutely love that place.  It's crowded but never super packed like it can be at other bars in Fells and the people there are awesome.

The froo froo beer and wine store didn't have Zombie Dust but they did have Troeg's Nugget Nectar, which I haven't had in forever.  I drank a few while grilling this past weekend.  I don't care if it's technically still winter...if it's over 45 outside and sunny, I'm grilling.  It's a really good beer with a good, strong flavor that's right there.  I drank two while finishing my last two Sierra Nevada Torpedos and there's no comparison.  It's 7.5%, so it'll sneak up on you like "sun's gettin' real low, big guy."  Recommendation to buy.  Next week: nothing new; I still have four Nugget Nectars left!

You will never find Zombie Dust anywhere but Indiana and Indiana-adjacent states. Me, I'm a Gumball Head man myself. 

I love how Troegs still doesn't put the letters "IPA" on the Nugget Nectar package. It's a hoppy amber, man! Beers like Nugget Nectar that can hang with it - Maine Beer Zoe and Red Wheelbarrow, Modern Times Blazing World, Elder Pine Firegazer (this mighta been a seasonal), AleSmith Evil Dead Red (this is a Halloween seasonal).

Much love to the retired Red Rocket from Bear Republic. I'd pour one out for it but, well, you know.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

You will never find Zombie Dust anywhere but Indiana and Indiana-adjacent states. Me, I'm a Gumball Head man myself. 

I love how Troegs still doesn't put the letters "IPA" on the Nugget Nectar package. It's a hoppy amber, man! Beers like Nugget Nectar that can hang with it - Maine Beer Zoe and Red Wheelbarrow, Modern Times Blazing World, Elder Pine Firegazer (this mighta been a seasonal), AleSmith Evil Dead Red (this is a Halloween seasonal).

Much love to the retired Red Rocket from Bear Republic. I'd pour one out for it but, well, you know.

On the minus side, you have to live in or near Indiana!  ?

Great point!  I hadn't had Nugget Nectar in a while so I looked it up real quick after I'd bought it.  I was shocked that it wasn't described as an IPA.  I mean shit, the logo is a hand squeezing hops.  Hilarious.

Thanks again for the recommendations.  Here in Montgomery County (essentially the northern suburbs of DC), it's either county-run stores with wildly varying selection (the one near my job has a laughably tiny beer section while the one closer to my home is much larger) or independently-run shops with great selections and crazy prices.  So anyway, the more obscure stuff is harder to find around here.  Maybe a slight road trip up to the next county up -- to the shitty town of Mt. Airy, a hillbilly haven with nothing going for it save its great liquor store and the only decent California Tortilla franchise -- is in order.

• Like 1

A good portion of my job is recommending beer to Baltimore-area lacrosse dads. This is kind of how I pay the bills.

I know the MoCo scene is rough, jealous though I am of all the bangin' Chinese food. Do not drink the beer they brew in Mt. Airy. I was dropped off free sample cans (it's a rough gig) from a brewery called Frey's that's in my all-time worst gallery. Now, there's a LOVELY place in Sykesville called The Food Market if you just need a day trip with a well-curated beer and wine list. I wouldn't know where to bottle shop there, though.

Honestly, if I lived in MoCo I'd be heading southwest and hitting up Aslin Brewing all the dammed time. One of the best in VA, Richmond scene included. It's on the way to Dulles. Maybe a 30 minute drive from Rockville.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got a package from my best friend in NY yesterday, with two IPA's, a stout, and an amber ale. 

I had the stout last night. It's called Shadow Ball, from Burlington Beer Co. in Vermoint. It's a stout with peanut butter and salted pretzel flavors.

The price point has kind of put me off from trying them in the past, but I picked up a six pack of Dogfish Head's Indian Brown and it's pretty damn good. I love dark IPAs because they combine the smoothness of an ale with the roasty goodness of a stout. This one is no exception, with citrusy hops commingling with a coffee and dark chocolate finish.

Other brands of dark IPAs and lagers that I've found that I like are New Belgium's 1554 and Uinta's Ba Ba Black Lager.

I'll have to take the plunge on some of Dogfish Head's other beers. Indian Brown impressed me quite a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FireThunder said:

The price point has kind of put me off from trying them in the past, but I picked up a six pack of Dogfish Head's Indian Brown and it's pretty damn good. I love dark IPAs because they combine the smoothness of an ale with the roasty goodness of a stout. This one is no exception, with citrusy hops commingling with a coffee and dark chocolate finish.

Other brands of dark IPAs and lagers that I've found that I like are New Belgium's 1554 and Uinta's Ba Ba Black Lager.

I'll have to take the plunge on some of Dogfish Head's other beers. Indian Brown impressed me quite a bit.

Cool, Dogfish IBA and New Belgium 1664 6 packs were just discontinued, at least in my market but probably nationwide.

If it isn't Hazy IPA it doesn't make money. Everything is horrible.

11 hours ago, FireThunder said:

That sounds so good I'll be bummed if I can't find that near me.  My first craft beer was Palo Santo Maron(sp?) and I got it the same day I saw "Beer Wars" on Netflix years ago (was a Bud drinker before that)  As soon as I had the first couple sips I knew there was no turning back and I've been a craft beer drinker since then.  So for that Dogfish Head will always hold a soft spot in my heart.  And if I can afford it then I'll be more than happy with trying their stuff.  The last one I had was the one that was American Beauty which was the collaboration with Grateful Dead.  It had lots of oats and honey and was pretty damn drinkable, would definitely recommend it.

As for dark IPAs that's a type that I can't recall having much of if any.  It sounds like the perfect combination of styles that I like and am unsure why I don't seek them out more.  I've seen 1554 on shelves so I might pick that up but I'll have to keep any eye out for others.

17 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

A good portion of my job is recommending beer to Baltimore-area lacrosse dads. This is kind of how I pay the bills.

I know the MoCo scene is rough, jealous though I am of all the bangin' Chinese food. Do not drink the beer they brew in Mt. Airy. I was dropped off free sample cans (it's a rough gig) from a brewery called Frey's that's in my all-time worst gallery. Now, there's a LOVELY place in Sykesville called The Food Market if you just need a day trip with a well-curated beer and wine list. I wouldn't know where to bottle shop there, though.

Honestly, if I lived in MoCo I'd be heading southwest and hitting up Aslin Brewing all the dammed time. One of the best in VA, Richmond scene included. It's on the way to Dulles. Maybe a 30 minute drive from Rockville.

LOL as a product of the Baltimore County prep school system, I could have been one of those guys.  Thankfully, a proper white trash upbringing and  a lack of monied background put a stop to that!

I tried one of the beers brewed in Mt. Airy -- one of the Red Shedman beers, which I'm pretty sure is just a quickie cash-in craft brewery started by the Linganore wine folks.  It was described as a California IPA, which was an insult to IPAs and also the fine state of California.  It tasted like IPA-flavored dishwater and the can actually had spelling mistakes on it.  Ridiculous.

I'll hit up Aslin next time I'm the Dulles area.  Thanks!

I need to find 21st Amendment Back in Black. It was my first experience with the Dark IPA, and I was really put off by it. But, that was at least three years ago.

Slight derail: where the Hell is the good Chinese food in MoCo?  Like, the soup dumpling places in Rockville, etc?  Or is there actually something worth hitting up to the east of there? 

I probably shouldn't eat it at all, but there are days coming home from lab where shoveling that particular variety of fried food into my gob seems like the only sensible option.  And God knows the few options available immediately nearby in PG County are *dreadful*.

16 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Slight derail: where the Hell is the good Chinese food in MoCo?  Like, the soup dumpling places in Rockville, etc?  Or is there actually something worth hitting up to the east of there? 

I probably shouldn't eat it at all, but there are days coming home from lab where shoveling that particular variety of fried food into my gob seems like the only sensible option.  And God knows the few options available immediately nearby in PG County are *dreadful*.

Same question here!  I've been living in MoCo since 2013 (various spots along the 270 corridor) and, granted, I haven't actively sought out good Chinese food, but every place that's been convenient for me has not been great. 

On the beer front, I had a pint of Dogfish Head 75 minute on tap at lunch yesterday (at Dogfish Head) and it was very good.  Nice flavor, strong.  I was mistaken thinking the maple was only in the bottled variety -- I guess I misread it on their menu last time.  Give it a try.