DVDVR Message Board

Beer recommendations

Mike Campbell

• 4 weeks later...

There's a local brewery called Spring House that creates, to put it mildly, completely fucked up beers. I've had their Big Gruesome Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout numerous times (included tonight, oddly), and loved it. They have a pumpkin ale called BRAAAAAAAINS that's excellent, because it incorporates crust. I bought two bottles tonight for the weekend that I just *needed* to have: Satans Bake Sale Mint Chocolate Chip Stout and The Martians Kidnap Santa! Eggnog Stout. Never had either, and I have no idea what to expect. I had Stone's mint chocolate stout collab last year, and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. Hoping SBS can match that.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been an interesting few months, I've discovered quite a few beers that I never want to drink again (Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale for starters). But I've found quite a few that I could drink all day (Magic Hat #9, Hoegaarden, Red Stripe).

Right now I'm finishing up a six pack of Samuel Adams Black Lager, and I think I'm going to stick with the Sam Adams brews for a spell. I've really like the White Lantern and Black Lager, and they've got a few others that sound good, Cream Stout and Blackberry Witbier, and their Winter Seasonals also sound pretty good. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are in the Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan area you should try Drewry's. It was brewed locally in South Bend until 1973 and was brewed at various other breweries until 1997. Last year a Chicago businessman bought the rights to the name and recipes with the idea of reintroducing it to the local market. I finally got around to finding a bottle of it yesterday. It is really fucking good, the only downside to it is that it doesn't last very long.

• 1 month later...

This Oskar Blues Ten FIDY is a fucking madman. They've just now gotten distribution in my general zone. I had one two weeks ago at Deer Park and it was amazing. Then I got a 4-pack up at Service Liquor and it's only 13 bucks as opposed to Ft. Wayne prices ($25!). Also got a case each of Paulaner Pils and Greenbush Sunspot Hefeweizen. When you see quality beers for 5.99 a sixer, you must act. The Paulaner was for Super Bowl cruise control. I have yet to open a Sunspot. This will change. Work got cancelled today even though roads are just fine for me. It ain't easy being cheesy.

• Like 1

I'm more partial to wheat beers myself. My favorites are Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis & Sapporo. I also enjoy Leffe Blonde, Troegs Dreamweaver & Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier.

I wasn't a happy man when that replaced the Erdinger in my local, but it's grown on me steadily.

Totally different thing, but I'm pretty much addicted to Innis & Gunn Rum Cask.

This Oskar Blues Ten FIDY is a fucking madman. 

Ten FIDY is so choice.  That's a great price for it as well.  I drove down to the Asheville, NC Winter Warmer Beer Festival 10 days ago and Oskar Blues had a booth there pouring Dale's Pale and a Scotch Ale.  Wicked Weed and French Broad were probably my favorite Asheville local breweries there, great dark sours and porters.  Surly from MN came down with a crazy double oatmeal imperial IPA that was out-of-this-world good.

The cherry on top came when the New Belgium guys saw me in my Clutch hoodie and called over to me.  They had a keg of a 9% barrel aged dark sour ale that they had just done in collaboration with Clutch.  Too cool.  Spent more than a little time chatting and drinking with those guys.

That Sierra Nevada IPA Variety is awesome.  It's worth it just for the Nooner.

I got a six of the Ruthless Rye this weekend and it was damn good.  The pepperiness of the rye set off against the hops nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

I am traveling to Chicago next week for work (first time ever going), and might have one day where I'm near a bar(my locations are at the mercy of others) with a strong variety in drinks? What are some good Chicago crafts I need to check out if they present themselves?