DVDVR Message Board

Beer recommendations

Mike Campbell

I've been trying to expand my drinking horizons, and have discovered that I don't like overly bitter (ie extremely hoppy) beers. The types I've discovered that I like the most are Shock Top and Redd's Apple Ale. I dunno if Redd's is considered beer or not, but it wasn't overly sweet like Smirnoff nor tart like Hard Cider.

Can anyone advise any good, non bitter, brands/styles of beers.

Take the Shock Top and throw it in the trash, and go find yourself some Bell's Oberon before it's too late (it's usually off the shelves around October). A close second to that, as far as recognizable beers go, is the Sam Adams Summertime. Although, if you're into sweeter, less hoppy beers, I bet you would love Leinenkugel. 

Honestly, the best thing you can do is find a grocery store or liquor store that will let you put your own 6 pack together and just pick stuff out that you think looks good or interesting. World Market, if you have one near you, has that kind of setup as well, but their's is solely craft beers. 

This website will also be useful for you: http://lifehacker.com/learn-a-little-beer-lingo-for-easier-ordering-509836289

In upstate NY you should have access to Southern Tier, Sixpoint, and Brooklyn breweries.  All make some really nice stuff in general terms.  Here are some recommendations from them and others.

Southern Tier Phin and Matt's Extraordinary Ale

Sixpoint Sweet Action

Brooklyn Summer Ale

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald (this is a porter, you should definitely give it a go to see if the style is for you)

Goose Island 312 (wheat beer, not my style, but it's light and is well made for what it is)

Definitely try to mix sixes, that's the best way to discover new and different things, and maybe discover you are into some styles you wouldn't expect.  

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been doing the make your own six pack deal, that's how I came to discover that I don't like the really hoppy stuff. We'll be at the grocery store on Saturday again, so I'll take a gander at some of the stuff you guys suggested.

Black Label on tap? You have been blessed, friend. 

My favorite beers are Stroh's and Pilsener Urquell. 

I fucking hate IPA's and other way too hoppy beers. I just straight up don't get it. 

I'll second the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. I like me some porters, but the only thing that holds them back for me is that you can't session 'em, and it's virtually impossible for me to drink just one beer. Great Lakes is a very good brewery all around. We just recently got their pilsener on tap at the restaurant I work at, and it's really goddamn good. 

Fuck, I love pilseners. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back when I drank I loved the hoppy stuff. A few weeks ago a "First Taste" was held at the Century Center in South Bend, IN for the relaunch of Drewry's Beer, which had been brewed in South Bend up until the early '70s and continued to be brewed elsewhere until the mid-90's. Suposedly it is to be available at local restaurants and bars before fall.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few weeks of experimentation, and learning what I do and don't like. I think my beer of choice is Red Stripe Jamaican Lager. I really like the Sam Adams White Lantern, but no other Sam Adams brews have been as good. And the ones that I think I'd like (White Ale, Porch Rocker, Coastal Wheat) don't seem to be available in my neck of the woods.

A co-worker of mine, who is into brewing advised me to check out Hoegaarden, but I can't find it for the life of me.

White Ale hasn't been around in two years. Haven't seen Coastal Wheat forever. Porch Rocker is only available as a summer seasonal. Despite being owned by ABI, Hoegaarden should be in your local store's "import" area. If you want a craft hefe/wit, try Troegs Dreamweaver Wheat, Allagash White, or Dogfish Head Namaste.

• 2 weeks later...

Black Label on tap? You have been blessed, friend. 

My favorite beers are Stroh's and Pilsener Urquell. 

I fucking hate IPA's and other way too hoppy beers. I just straight up don't get it. 

I'll second the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. I like me some porters, but the only thing that holds them back for me is that you can't session 'em, and it's virtually impossible for me to drink just one beer. Great Lakes is a very good brewery all around. We just recently got their pilsener on tap at the restaurant I work at, and it's really goddamn good. 

Fuck, I love pilseners. 

Dude, I'm a huuuge Strohs fan. I can't get it where I live but I have friends here who are from places that do so whenever they travel home, I get them to bring me back a few 15 or 30 packs. If the apocolypse ever comes, I hope Strohs becomes currency because I'll be set.

I love Philadelphia's beer scene. Went to Tired Hands and a lesser known brewpub called Forest & Main this weekend, and the beers were fantastic. My girlfriend and I have hit nearly all the breweries in the Philly area now, and we can at least start to form a crude rankings system.