DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: SCOTT STEINER

RIPPA

I would prefer to do Non-Steiner Brothers stuff just so I can do them as their own entry later. Plus - there is enough crazy Scott stuff floating around.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tcats_robert-fuller-jimmy-golden-vs-jed-grundy-scott-steiner_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2i1lc2_great-muta-tajiri-vs-scott-steiner-suwama-ajpw_sport

• Like 1

WCW should really have elevated Steiner sooner than they did. He was the perfect Goldberg foil, and they took forever to finally run that match-up as a main event matchup. 

This guy is one of the last guys to feel truly unpredictable, which was a ton of his appeal for me. Now, everything feels so clinical that a guy like Dean Ambrose is presented as unpredictable when it's clear how sanitized he is. Steiner was must-see TV because honestly, who knew what he might do at any time? 

WCW should really have elevated Steiner sooner than they did. He was the perfect Goldberg foil, and they took forever to finally run that match-up as a main event matchup. 

This guy is one of the last guys to feel truly unpredictable, which was a ton of his appeal for me. Now, everything feels so clinical that a guy like Dean Ambrose is presented as unpredictable when it's clear how sanitized he is. Steiner was must-see TV because honestly, who knew what he might do at any time? 

Wasn't that a little on Scott though? I've read that Scott didn't want to break up the team for Rick's sake(though it could just be more Scott Keith bullshit). . .

Yep.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zt931_wcw-fall-brawl-2000-bill-goldberg-vs-scott-steiner_sport

(Sorry for the Dailymotion, but this match ain't on Youtube.)

Yep.

steinermath.jpeg

Scott Steiner with a tiger

This may be the only time I've looked at a tiger where it was not necessarily the scariest thing in my field of vision.

I have a new threshold for "most insane idea".  Just think:  SOMEBODY had to have heard someone else propose that idea.  "Hey let's have Scott Steiner come to the ring with a tiger."  SOMEBODY heard that and said "sure, okay!"

Did 2000 WCW really exist?  I know I saw it, but when it's described to me in retrospect or I watch old clips of it I'm convinced I'm hallucinating.

• Like 1

I don't really actually watch Scott Steiner anymore and haven't in years, but I absolutely love the idea/premise that he exists.

I think you perfectly described why.

I guess a good question on the hypothetical scale, is could Bret or Flair have gotten more out of Scott than Trips did? I'm thinking their prime versions, not 200? versions. . .

I think Bret absolutely would have. He had an uncanny knack for being able to structure a match that worked around an opponent's weaknesses and highlighted their strengths.

Dunno about Flair, though. He wasn't quite as flexible when it came to working different styles.

And that Rumble match with Triple H could have been great if it where about half as long as it ended up being. Steiner matches shouldn't go longer than 12-15 minutes, tops.

This isn't a great match or anything but it's quite enjoyable. Steamboat's the ultimate babyface and it winds up costing him the title but not in a way that makes him look like an idiot babyface. He let Steiner back in the ring after taking a bump to the floor. Then when Steamboat takes a bump to the floor, Steiner small packages him when he gets back into the ring,

This isn't a great match or anything but it's quite enjoyable. Steamboat's the ultimate babyface and it winds up costing him the title but not in a way that makes him look like an idiot babyface. He let Steiner back in the ring after taking a bump to the floor. Then when Steamboat takes a bump to the floor, Steiner small packages him when he gets back into the ring,

It's also, as far as I'm aware, the only televised match between these two.

If you believe History of WWE, Scott walked out of a TV taping a month later when he was ordered to drop the TV title back to Steamboat.