DVDVR Message Board

Exile on Badstreet Episodes Thread

KrisZ

Checking that week's Observer, the WAR show Meltz went to was even more of a dumpster fire than Kris let on.

Worst show (every way, shape and form) - Wrestling and Romance (WAR) on 8/13 at Korakuen Hall. Aside from the fact there was some exceedingly stiff work in a few of the matches and the Genichiro Tenryu vs. Masao Orihara match was a very compelling and gripping destruction match that made the Steiners vs. Fujinami & Iizuka seem like a three-year-old patty-cake game, this was as bad as any wrestling card you would ever want to see. The show was scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m. Tenryu came out at that point and did a 20 minute Q&A with the fans. Actually, in this case my not knowing the language made it seem long and boring when, to those in the building, it really wasn't bad. What was next was bad. They had a bunch of prizes and before the show they had fans pay for Bingo cards. So everyone played Bingo. I thought it was kind of funny except Bingo lasted until 7:50 p.m., lasting roughly one hour, before they gave away all the prizes, which consisted of things like cheap rubber balls and pieces of paper with Tenryu's autograph. This was an unbearable as watching the Bushwhackers have to work three 20 minute matches in a row against the Rougeau Brothers. You know what happened next? They went to intermission. Actually by this point it was almost funny how horrible the show was, except that the 90 minutes had seemed like about four hours. Then they announced the next big card for 9/15 at Yokohama Arena (they're going to have to give 100,000 tickets away to draw 15,000 there) and announced who would be on the card. First off, they announced the Road Warriors (Legion of Doom), which got only a polite response. Kind of surprising because despite how bad this show was, it was a fairly hardcore audience that exploded when Tenryu came out for his Q&A. Then Beverly Brothers--to no response. When I say no response, I mean out of the 1,600 there, not one reacted. Then they announced The Berzerker. Again, nobody reacted. The Undertaker. Five girls in kimonos popped like crazy, 1,595 guys sat on their hands. Paul Bearer. Two of the girls popped again. King Haku. Decent reaction, actually. Ultimo Dragon (Yoshihiro Asai). Only a fair reaction, no more than Haku, quite honestly. This was freaky since I've seen Asai tear the house down in the same building on numerous occasions. Negro Casas. Best reaction thus far, but still best described as lukewarm. When they announced Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage, there was zero reaction. At 8:10, the first match got in the ring with two rookies, one a roided up powerlifting champion named Yoshiro Ito who may have been making his debut. The match was no doubt as bad as Bill Kazmaier's debut match probably was up in Calgary (or any of his matches, for that matter). Well, it at least made me realize how great a worker Ted Arcidi really was. It was -*1/2, and that's being nice since both men were just starting out. Then came Tatsumi Kitahara vs. Samson Fuyuki and the first 7:00 were terrible. In fairness, it got pretty good from there and both guys worked for all they were worth to a 20:00 draw and were totally blown up by the end. Tenryu vs. Orihara came next and it was a massacre with Tenryu outweighing Orihara by what looked to be 100 pounds but they put together a good story and it was as good as it possibly could have been given the drawbacks. Next came Takashi Ishikawa vs. Great Kabuki in a 30:00 draw. Actually, the match had some moments, stiff chair shots, stiff tackles and clotheslines. Everything was stiff. Of course all totalled, that was probably only 2:30 of the match. The other 27:30 was so bad (like -**3/4) that whomever decided these two should go 30 before an audience of anything but their biggest enemies should have their bookers permit revoked. I know I wouldn't have wished this on my enemies. Then came another intermission before they ended the show with a Battle Royal, which Kabuki won. It wasn't good, but it was better than most U.S. Battle Royals.

And then there's this, from the JWP show:

Finally, at about 3:50 a.m., it was time for the main event, an "Only Give up Battle Royal," which means the only way to be eliminated is via submission. This was the best Battle Royal I've seen since those classic Los Angeles and San Francisco Battle Royals of the early 1970s. Actually, it was probably better than they were too but nobody who grew up in California would ever believe it if I said that. I think there were four topes, Masami did a press slam on her partner in the opener (Ozaki) and dropped her over the top rope where she took a bump on the floor. The guard rail took a major beating. At one point Masami was destroying some of the women in the grandstands. Even Chigusa was wide awake for this one. Kansai did a dive through the ropes and missed and went straight into the guard rail. Boirshoi Kid did the Asai-moonsault at about 4:05 a.m. (the move Liger did to Chris Benoit during the last Clash). Try to put yourself in my shoes for a second. It's 4:05 a.m. on a Monday night. You're in a foreign country where nobody speaks your language. You're watching this unbelievable Battle Royal and some woman dressed up like Bozo the Clown is doing the Asai-moonsault. It was 10:00 of mind-blowing action before anyone was eliminated. Plum Mariko ended up winning in 20:05 by eliminating Fukuoka after they went back-and-forth for a few minutes, although that is probably the least important aspect of the show.

Lvm9l_FR0_YSZd_Ev6_R3g_U63_WU265_Qva_YEf

Kris Zellner and David Bixenspan are joined by Mike Sempervive (Wrestling Observer Live) to discuss the week that was August 18-24, 1987. Listen to us pontificate about Jim Barnett being awesome, the birth of Akira Taue, New Japan tearing up Sumo Hall, Kevin Von Erich being insane, & the Road Warriors in WWF in 1987…it almost happened!!!!!!

http://placetobenati...ike-sempervive/

BOLA2015.jpg

Kris (who forgets which number this show is) is joined by Wes Hatch & Rob Naylor to discuss the current greatness of August 2015 Independent Wrestling not just in the United States but the United Kingdom. We talk about the greatness of EVOLVE, how NXT ripped it up in Brooklyn and why Sasha Banks is freaking awesome, ROH and their show in Atlanta on 8/29 and do they depend too much on outside talent, then we end with our in depth preview of the 2015 Best of Los Angeles for PWG and who we think will go balls out as well as who wins. This show is a must listen because you will get juice here that you won’t get anywhere else!!!

http://placetobenati...he-indytaken-2/

I'm only 20 minutes in (which is just a few steps in the marathon) but already, this is absolutely must listen. There's a bunch of stuff in here which both explains some of what's happened (or didn't happen) over the last few months and hints to some things that are going to happen, If you're at all interested in NXT, you should listen to this. I can't stress that enough.

SummerSlam_1991.jpg

Kris Zellner & David Bixenspan are joined by Les Moore (Sheet Sandwich) to discuss the week that was August 25-31, 1991. We discuss Ultimate Warrior threatening WWF, Randy Savage threatening to quit, Bruno Sammartino threatening Mark Madden, Riki Choshu threatening to retire, & Ric Flair threatening to sue everyone!!!!

http://placetobenati...ust-25-31-1991/

• Like 1

Another aces bts.

Re: gwf - you guys didn't mention the shot from the ESPN crowd shot of the dude in the red and white sweater I dubbed the "where's Waldo" shot.

Wasn't one of the jokes on Reggie B Fine was like Lawler's personal jobber?

I think I was at that disastrous Meadowlands show. This was the first time I learned about the Torch as s someone was handing out free copies covering the breaking news of Flair's departure.

nitro.jpg

Kris Zellner & David Bixenspan are joined by John Philapavage (Barbed Wire City) to discuss the week that was September 1-7, 1995. We discuss the debut of Monday Nitro, the return of Lex Luger to WCW, the departure of Big Van Vader from WCW, New Japan vs. UWFi getting hot & heavy, plus why is ECW vs. Television Outlets the equal to Randy Orton vs. Announce Tables!!!!

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-7-september-1-7-1995/

jim-cornette.png

Kris and David are joined by Charles (Pro Wrestling Only) and Sean Wheelock (Let’s Get It On/Bellator) to discuss the week that was September 8-14, 1994. Listen to us talk about Jim Cornette breaking car windows, Crush & Yokozuna breaking caskets, Keith Hackney breaking his hands, & the Gracie myth breaking apart!!!!

shock.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Keith Harris (Cageside Seats) to discuss the week that was September 15-21, 1993 in pro wrestling around the world. We discuss Shawn Michaels quitting the WWF, Eddie Gilbert quitting ECW, WCW quitting the NWA and much much more. This show definitely won’t quit that’s for sure!!!!

Time stamps:
0:00:00 Intro
0:02:18 WWF
0:48:48 NJPW, FMW, JWP, Pancrase, & UWFI
1:02:07 AAA, EMLL, & UWA
1:40:21 ECW, GWF, SMW, USWA, & WWA
2:24:42 NWA(!) & WCW

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-9-september-15-21-1993/

• Like 1

exileonbadstreetmain.png

Kris is joined by Alan Counihan (Dr. Keith Presents) & Dylan Hales (Wrestling Culture) to discuss all of the Japanese based candidates on the 2015 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame Ballot. We discuss who shouldn’t be in this section and where they should be placed, the historical significance of the modern candidates as well as their strengths and flaws. The age rule factor definitely comes up and the debates over certain candidates are really enlightening. If you are a fan of Japanese wrestling then this is a must listen for you!

http://placetobenati...ese-candidates/

Shouldn't the weight of the Suzuki/Mecha-Mummy feud assure Suzuki of a hall of fame spot?

I'm kind of surprised that Taue isn't in the Hall of Fame.  How does a guy with that many great matches not get in.  Though I'm trying to remember if the popular opinion (I think of Dave) was that Taue was considered not very good before he hooked up with Kawada.  I think there was some hate of his work when he was a Tsurata underling.

colon.jpg

Kris Zellner is joined by the mysterious El Boricua & Dylan Hales (Wrestling Culture) to discuss the history of Carlos Colon and why he is deserving to be a member of the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame. We discuss how important Colon was to not just wrestling in Puerto Rico but the culture all together as well as all of the great angles and matches that he was a part of. I learned a lot on this show and you will too as this is the most important episode of Exile that I have ever recorded!!!!

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-15-2015-won-hof-carlos-colon/

bobbyheenan_display_image.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Good Ol’ Will (Dangerous Alliance/Good Will Wrestling) to discuss the week that was September 22-27, 1984. We discuss Bobby Heenan jumping to WWF, Riki Choshu and friends jumping to AJPW, Jerry Lawler & Randy Savage jumping King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude, and WWF with mass jumps. Lots of jumping here so reach for the skies boys!!!!!!!!

Time stamps:

0:00:00 Intro & AWA
0:21;58 AJPW
0:32:23 NJPW
0:45:00 EMLL
1:03:21 Memphis
1:20:35 Florida/Mid-South/Southwest/World Class
1:51:05 WWF

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-10-september-22-28-1984/