DVDVR Message Board

Pimp me some slap bass tunes

cool arrow

For whatever reason, lately I've been watching a lot of slap bass videos on Youtube.  Now I'm not talking about Les Claypool or Larry Graham here, I mean dudes whompin' on a big ol' bass fiddle.   I'm hip to the usual suspects (the Sun Sessions, Bill Haley, Reverend Horton Heat, and so on) but there's probably tons of bluegrass/country/psychobilly/whatever players I don't know about. 

Oh yeah, I'm looking for album recommendations, not videos.  Probably should've mentioned that.

Edited by cool arrow

I'm partial to Tiger Army (which goes against hardcore psychobilly protocol I guess. they're jealous of/disgusted by Nick 13's Davey Havoc-ness while I could care less). Their second album, II: Power of Moonlight is my favorite. They slowed down and got depressive on the next album and have since had a kind of psychobilly mixed with the Cure thing going on, but those first two are good and fast. Nekromantix and Mad Sin are pretty good too, but I'm honestly not a big psychobilly guy. I'd rather just listen to the Stray Cats. 

Also there's a lot of good country-punk type bands with standup bass: Highlonesome, S.S. Web, .357 String Band, etc.

• Like 1