DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Clichés That Should Be Abolished

Kurt Angle can be bad the same way, using a dozen suplexes to set up his finisher... the anklelock. Huh? Geez, at least guys like Flair and Bret usually bothered to do at least a little token softening-up-the-leg before putting on their submission hold.

All those suplexes attack your core, making it harder for you to find the strength to crawl to the ropes/do a rolling counter. The anklelock is MMA-approved, so it doesn't require pre-softening. Sometimes ya just gotta read between the lines and come up with your own answers...

• Like 1

Get rid of the invisible camera that can travel anywhere by magic powers.

Speaking of cameras, could we do without the whole zoom in on every move's impact? One of the many reasons I cannot watch WWE/TNA, cause that shit is nauseating.

• Like 2

Evil authority figures (heel gm/owner)

Babyface authority figures (how many do not turn heel?)

Cool heels

Edgy babyfaces (Austin as a dick babyface worked, but that was a rare case)

The wrestling maxim that all babyfaces are friends and all heels are allies, and the babyface you set on fire during your blood feud two weeks ago is now willing to tag with you because you turned face last week

nWo knockoffs (worked for a reason: it was original!)

The 619 (if Petey Williams did that instead of beloved babyface Rey, we'd all be insane with rage)

Tag teams who always get along and have perfect teamwork - until they have some miscommunication, at which point you can bet the house that they'll split up at the next ppv

• Like 1

Tag teams who always get along and have perfect teamwork - until they have some miscommunication, at which point you can bet the house that they'll split up at the next ppv

On this note, the eventual split up of successful tag teams.  Sometimes two guys just have great chemistry together and the sum is greater than the parts.  If that's the case, keep them together and avoid splitting them up as it usually ends up in both guys drifting into obscurity or realizing the error of the ways and putting them back together.

• Like 2

Pretty sure the Heel Authority Figure -- especially when cutting the Shakespeare Solliloquy-length promo at the start of EVERY SHOW -- is the one I'm most tired of.  I was sick of these 14 years ago.

Stopped watching for years, started back up for a while a couple months ago around wrestlemania time, and my first thought was "wait, they STILL do this?"

On this note, the eventual split up of successful tag teams. Sometimes two guys just have great chemistry together and the sum is greater than the parts. If that's the case, keep them together and avoid splitting them up as it usually ends up in both guys drifting into obscurity or realizing the error of the ways and putting them back together.

I blame the main event success of Bret and Shawn.

Counters/contrived set-up maneuvers as regular parts of people's movesets (eg. Kidman's power bomb reversal, Rey's 619, Orton's rope-hung DDT, Ambrose's rebound clothesline)

WWE's "get yer moves in" match-calling style in general, particularly in TV matches where squeezing two guys' movesets in leaves little time for any variation

That last point is huge for me, and probably the BIGGEST reason I hate the WWE style of wrestling.  No matter what, every guy HAS to hit all his shit, whether it makes sense or not.  I think that's what makes something like Banks vs Lynch stand out.  They weren't focused on doing their signature spots.  They were focused on delivering a match that looked like a legit contest.

Matches only ending after one wrestler hits "His Move"

It telegraphs the finish. And it means no one cares about the finish until that move is hit. Shit, even Cena has two finishers. Everyone should have three moves they get wins with.

Any time "police" get involved in an angle. Okay, obviously, the Mountie spending the night in jail was glorious, but that's an exception, since that was a stipulation of losing to the Boss Man. I mean any time a wrestler gets "arrested," I hope I never have to sit through one of those again.

Cage matches with escape rules.

The only time this match has ever worked is SummerSlam 94. Both men tried to really get over they were doing anything they could to get out of the cage. Nowadays cage matches have people doing a bunch of moves until they go "Okay, it's time to get out of the cage."

• Like 1

WWE themes made to get a Pavlovian response with a loud noise or note at the beginning. The perfect example is WWE adding a "WHOO" to Flair's theme.

It's all just a cheap attempt to get a pop. "You heard WHOO. Now cheer. Flair is coming out." NO SHIT FLAIR IS COMING OUT. You didn't need to add that. He's had the same song for fuck knows how long.

It's either a cheap attempt to get a response or WWE just thinks we are that stupid that we need some kind of noise to tell the fans what song is about to play. They think we need a audio cue, for the audio cue they are about to give us. What the fuck kind of backwards ass retarded logic is that?

I don't like the fact that there are only two types of women to WWE. 1. Crazy or 2. Bitchy.

I should be surprised because I'm fairly certain every male member of the WWE creative team ever had sex with a woman that they didn't pay. So they take it out on the women they write for.

• Like 4

WWE themes made to get a Pavlovian response with a loud noise or note at the beginning. The perfect example is WWE adding a "WHOO" to Flair's theme.

It's all just a cheap attempt to get a pop. "You heard WHOO. Now cheer. Flair is coming out." NO SHIT FLAIR IS COMING OUT. You didn't need to add that. He's had the same song for fuck knows how long.

It's either a cheap attempt to get a response or WWE just thinks we are that stupid that we need some kind of noise to tell the fans what song is about to play. They think we need a audio cue, for the audio cue they are about to give us. What the fuck kind of backwards ass retarded logic is that?

I don't like the fact that there are only two types of women to WWE. 1. Crazy or 2. Bitchy.

I should be surprised because I'm fairly certain every male member of the WWE creative team ever had sex with a woman that they didn't pay. So they take it out on the women they write for.

What are you implying about Linda and Stephanie?

Linda always struck me as someone who was not terribly involved in the creative process. Stephanie seems to either have a low opinion of other women or is easily manipulated by her father's vision of how women on TV should be. Her husband does a great job with women in NXT though so I have no idea what's going on with Steph.

I think match layouts have become a trope that needs to die on occasion.  Let the heels win once in a while before the hot tag, Let the faces in tag matches win early a few times.  Would make those hot tags mean more if fans knew they weren't guaranteed.

• Like 1

Linda always struck me as someone who was not terribly involved in the creative process. Stephanie seems to either have a low opinion of other women or is easily manipulated by her father's vision of how women on TV should be. Her husband does a great job with women in NXT though so I have no idea what's going on with Steph.

Erm, I think he was pointing out that Vince and HHH are "male members of the WWE creative time", and noting that per the previous poster's comment, he was alleging any sex they had with Linda and Stephanie was paid for.