DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

Wow, Cody's lisp is really pronounced in that clip. Did he get speech therapy or was he just hamming it up to play off of Dusty's lisp or something b/c it's not that bad now.

I had a lisp until about age 10 before I got therapy for it. In high pressure situations where I'm nervous or when I get emotional, it will still come out occasionally. I chalked it up to just that.

I have the same thing- and to this day, whenever I'm not thinking about it competely- anything with a th sound comes out as a w for some reason.

Do you think Lawler and Rhodes legitimately forgot that they had wrestled before?

Well, it was 25 years later. But then again, the promoter of the match was Bert Prentice, who is a carny's carny and regularly makes all kinds of wild not-entirely-factual claims in the course of hyping up his product. And "the first-ever dream match between two super-legends" is a lot easier to sell than the "long-belated rematch from an original bout (between then-regional-at-best stars) that practically everybody has forgotten".

Reading Dusty's bio in the Observer, and this immediately jumped out at me:

Probably the most famous story of that period was when the two, in real life, after a match in Edina, MN, while drinking at the local bar, got talked into buying a donkey as a pet. They had a three-day road trip, so left enough food and water for the donkey. But the donkey wasn't used to living alone in an apartment complex. The donkey shit all over the apartment and when they got back, they were kicked out. Gagne was furious, because while he liked the idea of the wrestlers being seen as wild characters, he didn't like his business peers hearing those kind of stories about his guys trashing apartments and being kicked out.

This is absolutely tremendous.  I'd have loved to ask him about this.

• Like 1

I found this last week at random in a best buy. Until I can personally deliver it into Cody or Dustin's hands, it's gonna stay with me.

I won't lie, when I came upon it out of nowhere, I shed a couple tears.

55E56B74-9316-4163-B903-935BCEBE8509_zps

• Like 5

Zac_Fu, you might be able to ship that to either one of them if you have their address or PO Box.  Just wrap it securely and you're all set.  And yeah, that was a bit sad seeing that.  It's kind of like seeing the name of somebody you knew who passed and it brings up those feelings.

I'm curious what shirt site that is, but am not surprised.

Chad Dukes Wrestling Show interview with Tyrus (a/k/a Brodus Clay)

On Dusty Rhodes: "I mean, I couldn't have done [The Funkasaurus] without Dusty Rhodes. He was so instrumental in the whole character thing. I spent the whole day with Dusty and he played 'Moves Like Jagger' and me and him danced to it in the arena all day. I actually have the footage but I was told I was never allowed to show it but I watched it the other day because I missed him. This is the same guy when I first got there and I was about four hundred sixty pounds they told me I had to wear trunks. I was like, 'Oh my god, they hate me.' So what does Dusty do? He comes to work with his shirt off. He walks around the arena with his shirt off. "If I can do it baby, you can do it!'"

• Like 11

Aw, man, it's too bad he can't share it.  It makes a lot of sense that Dusty helped with that, and that sounds like one helluva moment.  I could say that it's too bad it was wasted on a guy like Brodus/Tyrus, but fuck it.  He got to dance with Dusty and has the footage to prove it, that's awesome.

Yeah man, I gotta say, Dusty dancing around to Moves Like Jagger just instantly skyrocket's the song's credibility in my book. I can only imagine how gold that is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reading part 2 of Meltzer's bio (in other news, Meltzer actually got around to part 2 of a bio), can you even begin to fathom the insanity of car trips through the Amarillo territory with Dusty, Terry Funk and Dr Jerry Graham?

Reading part 2 of Meltzer's bio (in other news, Meltzer actually got around to part 2 of a bio), can you even begin to fathom the insanity of car trips through the Amarillo territory with Dusty, Terry Funk and Dr Jerry Graham?

I would imagine that involved a naked Terry having Dusty on all fours eating mass quantities of hardboiled eggs while Dr. Jerry sucked down rotgut hooch and lit cigars with $50 bills.

At least I'd like to think so.

PS: Probably also involved pistols, peroxide and pubic hairs.

• Like 1

Terry had a whole chapter in his book about driving with Dr. Graham. Jerry jumped in a bathtub full of ink because he wanted to dye his suit, got so drunk they had to put him in a U-Haul in the back because even Harley refused to take care of him, and while they were shooting ducks Dusty told Jerry to go get one out of a lake and he jumped in like a hounddog and brought it back in his teeth. Beat THAT.

• Like 1

How many parts could Meltzer go on a Dusty obit before it seemed excessive?

The way Part 2 cut off makes me think we're in for at least one more part, maybe 2.

Reading Dusty's bio in the Observer, and this immediately jumped out at me:

Probably the most famous story of that period was when the two, in real life, after a match in Edina, MN, while drinking at the local bar, got talked into buying a donkey as a pet. They had a three-day road trip, so left enough food and water for the donkey. But the donkey wasn't used to living alone in an apartment complex. The donkey shit all over the apartment and when they got back, they were kicked out. Gagne was furious, because while he liked the idea of the wrestlers being seen as wild characters, he didn't like his business peers hearing those kind of stories about his guys trashing apartments and being kicked out.

This is absolutely tremendous.  I'd have loved to ask him about this.

I think Flair mentioned this story on the Dusty special they did on the Network after Raw on Monday night

How many parts could Meltzer go on a Dusty obit before it seemed excessive?

The way Part 2 cut off makes me think we're in for at least one more part, maybe 2.

I wonder how much of the Dusty obit had already been written.

• 2 weeks later...