DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

Man, two of Dusty's best promos are not on the internets.

1. Calling out Sonny King and Eric the Red in CWF after they interfered in his title match with Harley Race.

2. The TERRY FUNK, YOU YELLOW EGG SUCKING DOG~! promo when Dory and Terry invaded CWF.

The other great Dusty promo that actually used to be on Youtube was the one of him in the WWF around 1978. A 5-6 minute promo that ends with him whooping up on Fred Blassie and Grand Wizard after they run in.

RIP Dusty.

Most of my Dusty watching was during and after his polka-dot wearing run with the WWF. That man used to kill me on commentary. There's the previously mentioned Benoit/Sullivan match where the woman ended up in the men's room, that Harlem Heat/PE match posted, and I'm pretty sure there was a PE/Nasty Boys match where he started yelling "He's clobbering him with the plundah", and he made me cry I laughed so hard. I spent a large chunk of last evening trying to find matches he was doing commentary on, and just laughing.

Man, two of Dusty's best promos are not on the internets.

1. Calling out Sonny King and Eric the Red in CWF after they interfered in his title match with Harley Race.

2. The TERRY FUNK, YOU YELLOW EGG SUCKING DOG~! promo when Dory and Terry invaded CWF.

The other great Dusty promo that actually used to be on Youtube was the one of him in the WWF around 1978. A 5-6 minute promo that ends with him whooping up on Fred Blassie and Grand Wizard after they run in.

I cannot find the TULLY BLANCHAAAD, I'M GONNA TAKE FIVE GRAND OUTCHA HIDE, DADDY~! promo either.  What the fuck is up with the internets?

I did find the tear inducing Livin' On the End of a Lightnin' Bolt promo, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND4zLt5YctI

Beautiful and overlooked promo of his, RIP Dream.

The part at the end where his voice cracks as he says all he needs is a kiss and a hug.  Damn, gets me every time.

So, what was officially Dusty's last match?  Did he wrestle in his own fed? Was it the WCW match with his son?  Was it the match with Corino (Which I love!)?

It looks like the Orton match at the GAB was his last.

Bret Hart:

I deeply mourn the passing of my dear friend Dusty Rhodes, he was a true legend. He was one of the all time greats of modern day wrestling, who left his mark on every wrestler who had the privilege to know and work with him. My thought are with Cody and Dustin, and the entire Rhodes family. I'm so sad, yet glad I got to speak with him at Raw in Montreal, he was happy and content, immensely proud of his sons. I loved him and will miss him always. Bret Hart

I've read a lot of really wonderful tributes to Dusty yesterday and today, but I think my favorite anecdote was Naylor saying that Dusty made him randomly reference Lucille Ball in every one of his weekly reports to Triple H. That, or Dusty being traveling buddies with Corino during their feud. He'd make Steve walk a mile away from the arena before he'd pick him up to protect the business.

FUCK YEAH~!

Everyone needs to watch those promos!  That is the Dusty Rhodes I want to remember. 

Whether it was a championship title opportunity against Terry Funk at The Omni in Atlanta or some blood feud grudge brawl against Eric The Red in some podunk National Guard Armory, you could always count on Dusty to sell a match like everything was on the line.

• Like 1

Found an interesting hidden gem, a short film called "Every Saturday Night" from the old WTTW show, Image Union, in Chicago. It features some passionate business defending from a young Dusty Rhodes, among others. It's the first one in the show. The whole film is interesting window to a much different time.

(Looks like I can't post it, go to mediaburn.org and put in "Every Saturday Night" in the search bar...)

RIP Dusty

URL is here-- it's a neat little B/W piece from a 1980 AWA show backstage at the International Amphitheater. I was lucky enough to travel to there to catch a lucha show before they tore it down. Great building with a lot of history.

Dusty was one of the greats. While his booking and backstage personality might evoke some mixed emotions, anyone who is a fan of wrestling is a fan of Dusty Rhodes. There will never be anyone else like him.

Jonathan Coachman talked about Dusty on ESPN, said some really nice things. However, at the end, he talked about how great of an entertainer he was, which was good because he was "an awful wrestler". He obviously meant as an in-ring worker. But I don't think that's fair at all. Dusty could go, man.

• Like 1

Jonathan Coachman talked about Dusty on ESPN, said some really nice things. However, at the end, he talked about how great of an entertainer he was, which was good because he was "an awful wrestler". He obviously meant as an in-ring worker. But I don't think that's fair at all. Dusty could go, man.

When Coach came around as a color guy and attempted to be a worker , Dusty was broken down and way past his prime and HHH has always been Coach's measuring stick for what a good worker should do.

I forgive Coach for being ignorant and having no frame of reference.  The guy wanted to be a legit sports announcer; pro wrestling was a means to an end.

Not only could Dusty go, he could tell a story in the ring with only a tiny fraction of the spots he knew and that's why no two Dusty matches look the same. 

Nowadays, you can almost set your watch by a worker's spot timing.  You know what he's going to hit and when he's going to hit it. That's not entirely horrible because that is what fans want to see.

• Like 3

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/rip-american-dream-dusty-rhodes

This one got me. God, this really sucks. It's like we all lost a friend.

JR comparing him to John Wayne in The Shootist is something else. Also, the story about them playing HORSE at 2 in the morning is awesome.

My heart goes out to Rob right now... I can't even begin to imagine how heartbreaking this truly must be for him.

• Like 1

These tribute videos are going to hurt a lot, can tell already.

Before going to bed I saw three things.  Started with the Hard Times promo, then "Let me be your pahtnah", then the Battleground match with Rhodes brothers vs. Shield.  The first one was powerful, second had me weep like a baby, and third one was exciting and tons of fun.  The match was very much an older style match and it ruled.  Dustin and Cody way delivered not just in the match but their promos as well.  Dusty didn't make the match about him yet when it was his turn the place erupted (thank goodness they were in a good crowd)  The victory was so fucking awesome with people losing their minds.  Then I see Dusty hunch over outside and start to cry.  He gets in the ring, they embrace and there went the tears again.  Man, that was heavy.

I absolutely loved what he did in the ring, and his promos were top-notch.  The commentary was weird and wacky and it's been fun seeing him do various appearances.  But the one thing that sticks with me is the legacy he left behind.  Not just with his sons, but the people he worked with at NXT.  Dustin's demons were a product of Dusty not being around, but I'm glad they mended fences a while ago as they were so close.  Cody very much has the old-school mentality as evidenced in his tweets.  But they're both great wrestlers that Dusty was very proud of.

Then there's the NXT wrestlers who he's helped.  The tributes from Owens, Zayn and others painted a helluva picture as to how impactful Dusty was to them.  I feel bad for whoever replaces him, but nobody is going to be able to properly fill the role that Dusty had there.  And with that things are going to be a good bit different over there.

I feel blessed that I got to meet Dusty once and shake his hand, as well as calling two of his matches for IWC in Pittsburgh. Here is Dusty vs. Jerry Lawler with special referee Mick Foley at one of our biggest shows, in the Johnstown, PA arena. I'm joined by my favorite three-man-booth mates, Joe Dombrowski and Kingdom James.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4frPJmDsXlg&feature=youtu.be

Another one of my favorites...

Of all the great lines Dusty had "the Four Horsemen, they need to ride on another planet ‘cause I reserved the stratosphere for me and you” is by far my favorite. Hard Times and Partnah are great but this is the Dusty promo I love most.

• Like 1