DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

The greatest Dusty commentating line ever when someone asked him like "what would you be thinking if you were Rey Mysterio Jr" and he responded something like "Man I lost a lot of weight".  I am probably butchering it but I do remember Tony and Heenan both cracking up on it

• Like 2

I haven't been around here in forever, but I thought I'd stop by today. Today is my 30th birthday (damn, I was in my teens when I joined here...*cue "Landslide"*) and when I heard about the news, I figured I'd leave work early, crack open a 12 pack of High Life, and watch some Dusty. It's what I've been doing for about four hours now, and I think I can say that while of course Dusty Rhodes was never the best wrestler in the vein of a Ric Flair or a Ricky Steamboat, he wasn't supposed to be. He was the most entertaining. He was the guy who sucked you in and made you a fan. He's one of the few that people who aren't fans, like my girlfriend, will stop by the TV for and check out. The man was a magnet for attention. I don't obsess over celebrities much, but I wish I could've met him.

• Like 3

There are a lot of people saying how much they would've loved to have met Dusty, and I think that speaks to who he was as a performer and a character. You want to have a beer with Flair because that night would give you a glimpse of a life you could never lead. You want to have a beer with Dusty because it would be like having a beer with a good friend you haven't seen in a while. Wrestling is full of larger than life characters that represent aspects of life we yearn for but can't fathom. Dusty was a larger than life character that was all of our best and most human aspects personified.

• Like 1

I will drop a PAY WINDAH now and again. Clubberin' is also as far as I'm concerned an acceptable word.

I dropped "Pay Window" in reference to a Salvador Perez go-ahead HR on Sunday. Not sure if that's the most Pay Window kinda baseball play.

As someone that only really started watching in 1997, I can really only look at this stuff purely in rear-view. To add to previous comments. I think Dusty randomly appeared on the May 1998 Nitro I attended, during his forgettable NWO run. But 3 hour Nitros had like 18 segments.

I wish I had more than this, but, Story Time:

I used to hang out at TNA before the shows started, back in the Nashville days (I worked enough local indies that I knew half the employees there anyway). I never spoke to Dusty; but at the time, I was a young fellow with a baby-smooth face and a large coif of unruly Ron Burgundy-ish hair. In fact, I resembled a certain wrestling personality more than a little. So it wasn't entirely surprising when one day, outta nowhere, someone grabs me gently-but-firmly by the arm and I look up and it's the American Fucking Dream himself. "Hey kid, what'th yo name? Jinguth? Okay Jinguth, you come right ovah heah... HEY RUSSO, LOOK, IT'TH TONY THCIAVONE!" (Because, yes, I used to get called Tony Jr. back in the day for how much I looked like Mr. Sidewalk Slam.) And then I started to babble something about how that was ironic because I was a play-by-play announcer, but by then Dusty had already lost interest and was walking off.

Another time, I overheard him bragging about how good he was at baseball. "I could knock that ball right into the lightth, baby, right through 'em like they wathn't even theyah. ...Randy Poffo can kith my ath!"

• Like 9

Dusty loses his shit during the Harlem Heat vs Public Enemy hardcore match at Uncensored, including his fucking great "He laid his ol' tired ass out!" line.

• Like 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND4zLt5YctI

Beautiful and overlooked promo of his, RIP Dream.

Came in here to post that and pay my respects to the best to ever do it.  Dust was so far ahead of his time and fuck that..  still ahead.  This is extremely difficult. Dust was one of a kind. R.I.P.  Dust.

roh2.jpg

Me and Dusty at a ROH show back in 2004. While I was waiting in line to get my picture taken with him, the guy ahead of me showed us that he was gonna ask Dusty to sign the Ric Flair DVD set. We were all like, What the fuck?" So when he gets to Dust and asks him Dusty says, "Why not? I'm on half o' this. Ric's lost my phone numbah since it came out, I want some residuals."

So after my picture was taken with him I said "Thanks, Dream." Another dude said "That's not the Dream, that's the Midnight Rider." I said, "Nah, it's one of The James Boys. Dusty turns to me and said "Damn! You remembah that shit?"

RIP Dusty, you were the best.

• Like 9

Truly we've lost one of the greats.  I grew up watching Dusty on Georgia Championship Wrestling.  He had a good feud with Terry Funk.  Funk would always call him an egg suckin dog.  Also followed him in Mid Atlantic and Crockett promotions.  Always in the thick of things.

Kevin Owens has changed his name on Twitter and I think tonight's show to Kip Stern because for some reason on promo course that was what Dusty used to call him before he was Kevin Owens.   He also put dots on his KO shirt  

If you haven't read the Sami Zayn Twitlonger (think it is called that) on Dusty definitely go out of your way.  Really moving stuff.  Actually all of the guys from NXT are really pouring their hearts out for him

Found an interesting hidden gem, a short film called "Every Saturday Night" from the old WTTW show, Image Union, in Chicago. It features some passionate business defending from a young Dusty Rhodes, among others. It's the first one in the show. The whole film is interesting window to a much different time.

(Looks like I can't post it, go to mediaburn.org and put in "Every Saturday Night" in the search bar...)

RIP Dusty

• Like 1

I remember him coming in to ECW in 2000 I was so hype for ECW at the time they were on TNN . Really started to enjoy Corino at that time.

I like the time Dusty turned heel on Rey that was my favorite time for Cody, the feud with Rey.

I want to add (Matt can verify that I bug the shit out of him about Dusty as a booker constantly), that Dusty was one of the best creative minds in wrestling ever. 

He created War Games, the modern super card in Starrcade, wrestlers like Magnum TA, Nikita, Sting and Lex Luger were pushed by him. Even the Steiners were a spin off of Rick in the Varsity Club. 

He did feature himself heavily, but he never hurt the other faces and the heels stayed strong. Dusty was not afraid to get beat to pulp to make a heel look good.

He was working a show in Florence Alabama in 2003 and I wish now I had found a way there. He was at the top of the list of wrestlers I wanted to talk to. 

• Like 1

I want to add (Matt can verify that I bug the shit out of him about Dusty as a booker constantly, that Dusty was one of the best creative minds in wrestling ever. 

I've been repeating Paul Heyman's Dusty impression all day of "Well then you've come to right place because I am a supergenius, daddy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND4zLt5YctI

Beautiful and overlooked promo of his, RIP Dream.

Came in here to post that and pay my respects to the best to ever do it.  Dust was so far ahead of his time and fuck that..  still ahead.  This is extremely difficult. Dust was one of a kind. R.I.P.  Dust.

yo, the pollen in here is crazy... allergies going nuts.

• Like 2

My mom grew up watching Florida wrestling in the 70s, so she was pretty bummed about the news. She told me about how when she was 16, her German cousin was visiting the States and she took him to whatever the main civic center was in Orlando at the time to see Dusty vs. Ivan Koloff. That must have been quite the shock for someone who, if he watched wrestling at all, was probably used to the likes of Horst Hoffman.