DVDVR Message Board

RIP Christopher Lee 1922-2015

odessasteps

The Wicker Man is definitely my favorite of his films, fwiw.

Probably mine as well:

R.I.P. to Sir. Christopher Lee, the man behind Dracula, Scaramanga, Count Dooku, Lord Summerisle and THAT voice. Heavy metal also!

I love the story that James Bond was basically based on a combination of him, Jon Pertwee and Ian Fleming. Probably an urban legend (or at least exaggerated) but he was undoubtebly a badass and amazing actor. He is now terrorzing people in the afterlife and good for him.

I knew this was coming when I learned that all of his scenes for the Hobbit had to be shot in England as he wasn't up to travel. But what an awesome life he lived, SAS before it was called SAS. With his dear friend Peter Cushing revived the horror movie genre, in a twist of irony (considering the character of James Bond was based partially on him), played one of the most memorable Bond villains, then important supporting roles in Star Wars, LOTR, in his frigging late 80's and early 90's; oh, let's not forget the metal albums... And for someone who lived much of their life under the magnifying glass we call "celebrity", I can't recall anyone ever having an unkind word to say about him, in fact quite the opposite. My mates across the pond tell me that whenever he was a Guest of Honor at a horror convention he went far above and beyond the call of duty to interact with fans and would often sign autographs long after the advertised time ended to make sure no one went home disappointed. Every fucking inch a gentleman, we'll not see his like pass this way again. A fine, fine actor; but the one thing he wasn't able to hide in his later roles in Star Wars and LOTR was that he was obviously having the time of his life with those roles. Godspeed, Sir Christopher and thank you for all the years of entertainment.

He was the voice of Death in many of the discworld movie adaptations. . . .

Christopher Lee is one of the faces and voices I use when I'm reading quite a lot. He instantly makes a villain all the more terrifying and imposing.