DVDVR Message Board

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum (6/13/2015) - Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

Elsalvajeloco

Yeah, I would still be surprised. Now if Gastelum starts looking a tiny bit altered, then I would say otherwise.

Sylvia looked different coming into the Gan McGee fight. He never looked like that again body wise.

Did Gilbert Melendez think he was fighting five rounds? He had a big first round and then went on auto-pilot the rest of the fight. That was peculiar to say the least.

• Like 1

Rafael Cordeiro is a fucking legend. How he's helped two current UFC champions improve their stand-up exponentially is incredible. Miracle worker!

Yeah. Trainer of the Year was probably going to Javier Mendez, but Cordeiro snatched it away tonight in a head-to-head.

Man, people on twitter already trying to discredit Werdum's win. (Rust, Cardio, Ect.) It's part of the game. Werdum was landing on him from minute one of that fight. Give me AA vs. Werdum II now. 

God, I hope this doesn't lead to JDS beating Werdum and then Cain beating JDS again. I like JDS a lot but I'm ready for a nice long title reign from Vai Cavalo.

His head is still too stationary and I could see JDS teeing off on him. But Werdum's got a great chin, great cardio, a great jab/straight combo, good clinch work, and the bestest BJJ. Makes for an interesting fight.

No controversy here. Werdrum basically let Cain wear himself out and then took Cain to the deep end of the pool.

You know people are going to bring up the altitude thing. I'm already seeing it on Twitter. However, Cain had two shots to train there. He didn't go to Mexico at all the first time the fight was set up. Then, Javy forced him to go there for two weeks. Werdum was down there the majority of his camp. Even though Fabricio got tired, you could see the obvious difference.

I don't think JDS is the same either anymore. The damage he's taken in those Cain's fights is insane. 

I think some of that is definitely true. However, his main problem is his biggest weakness has been exposed big time. He doesn't know how to cut angles in a octagon. His footwork has gotten atrocious. If you stand in front of him, he will punch you hard in the face. If you give him good movement and back him up, he is a fish out of water. It's like they told him he was fighting in a boxing ring and switched it up on fight night.

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 24s

White on Aldana and Grasso: They both want to win titles and come to the UFC. They want to wait and I’m doing what they want.

Aldana is already booked to fight for the Invicta BW belt. I believe they will match Grasso vs. Livinha Souza for the Invicta 115lbs. title.

• Like 1

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 5m

Escudero said he and Gastelum will be fighting in Mexico again in November at the TUF Latin America Finale.

BTW, Dana said no to Gastelum going back to 170. A fight with someone like Robert Whittaker makes sense.

I'd also expect Cejudo to be on that card unless they want him to fight in Houston in October.

Both guys fought like hell and gave it their all. But it was Werdum who was more prepared and weathered the storm. Cain Velasquez really needs to evaluate his training regiment.  Time for Javier Mendes to eat a lot of humble pie after trashing Fabricio Werdum. Give Junior Dos Santos the next title shot. He deserves it if it is Werdum. Have Velasquez fight Arlovski or Miocic.

Gilbert Melendez is a fucking idiot.  What kind of game plan was that?  He hurt Alvarez badly in the first round, and then kept it in first gear for the rest of the fight.  Not to mention, he got freaking OUT grappled by Alvarez.  And he's done this before.  He went on auto-pilot in the Henderson fight too.

Dude got a big payday when he re-upped with the UFC.  It's like he's lost his desire to become a champion now that he is financially secure.  And call me a jerk, but honestly, that is why I do not have much a problem with this Reebok deal.  When I read about Brendan Schaub's situation, I get the sense a lot of mediocre underachievers were secure and getting fat off their sponsorship money without a care in the world.  It sounds like some of the guys who are decent but not elite level were making some pretty nice payouts on sponsorships despite not having great UFC records.  

Just saying, Yair Rodriguez got out there and he earned his money tonight.  Werdum, same thing.  

The Scrap Pack a bunch of overrated dudes who are supposed to be BJJ black belts under Cesar Gracie but constantly get out grappled and probably have the worst UFC title record out of any team in MMA history.

BTW, Dana said no to Gastelum going back to 170. A fight with someone like Robert Whittaker makes sense.

Gastelum is a fucking idiot with this casual way he believes he can just say he's a welterweight and can go back down.  He's missed weight multiple times.  That causes a lot of problems when he does that.  He's proven a liability when that happens.  

Really happy for Werdum.  He's been one of my favorites for a while.  He's as complete as any fighter in the HW division.  At this point no matter where the fight takes place he's going to be really tough.  Would love to see Arlovski in a title fight.