DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: SHAWN DAIVARI

RIPPA

No, that's what it is. His career peak was Mohammed Hassan's theme music and they couldn't help but make it all racial very quickly.

Talk about having trouble sticking to a ring name. I think there may be more. His brother is also a wrestler, I forget if he's better or not.

Ring name(s)  Abdul Bashir[4]
Al Daivari[4]
Daivari[5]
Dubai[6]
Faris Gotch[7]
Khosrow Daivari[5]
Raheem Ali Assad[4]
Shawn Daivari[5]
Sheik Abdul Bashir[8]
DelAvar Daivari

Once they find out Sami Zayn is half-Syrian and that Sandow is part Middle-Eastern, I assume they'll tag them up and give them the theme.

His career peak was Mohammed Hassan's theme music and they couldn't help but make it all racial very quickly.

It's amazing how swiftly and how stupidly the WWE ruined that angle, isn't it? I mean, even by THEIR usual backwards-ass standards of dumbed-down storylines and uncomfortable pseudo-racism. Hassan and Daivari were originally supposed to be a couple of loudmouthed abrasive assholes who were all like "Fuck you for assuming that we're terrorists!"... even though nobody had remotely accused them of being such, and the whole point of their heel-ness was that they were playing the race card when nobody was acting racist towards them. Which made the sadly-inevitable-yet-still-inexplicable changing of their characters into simplified "...fuck you, we're terrorists" jihadists somehow make even less sense than it otherwise should've.

It also never made sense to me why Hassan was the pushed guy while Daivari was the loser sidekick, considering that Hassan was the weaker in-ring mechanic of the team and wasn't even really Middle Eastern; especially since Daivari got instant nuclear heat from the crowds just by cutting his promos in seemingly-fluent Persian. His later booking still made no sense whatsoever, first as a buffoonish henchman for Kurt Angle (huh?) and then Mark Henry (double huh?). Then he spent several months as Great Khali's mouthpiece, because... uh... because Iran and India are both on the same continent, I guess? (Never mind that they're further apart from each other than Canada and Mexico are!) I didn't even remember he'd managed Khali, since Ranjin Singh had followed him by doing the exact same job but doing so in an infinitely more entertaining fashion. And then he fell into the dreaded rut of creative having nothing for him, rarely appearing on TV and never winning, followed by the traditional future endeavoring. WWE booked this poor fucker like they hated him.

...then again, the internet claims he's now hooked up with Alicia Webb, aka the artist formerly known as Ryan Shamrock, so I guess karma decided it was time that life gave him his, as it were.

I have no idea why WWE simply did not steal from RoH and have Daivari manage a stable of evil international wrestlers ala Prince Nana's Embassy with Hassan as his main guy?

TNA had World Elite and that was my favorite heel stable for a bit until Kevin Nash fucked it up.  Daivari was in that unit.

WWE had to mess up the gimmick by steeping it in 9-11 Islamic terrorism crap as if two Middle Eastern heels weren't enough to hate.

It always boggles the mind that WWE saw this guy do a move (The Flying Carpet) that popped all the guys backstage and motivated them to sign him then NEVER let him do the move once on TV.

Yeah, how is it the Katie Vick necrophila angle, Gene Snitsky punting a plastic baby, Lita and Edge threatening to have sex in a wrestling ring during a live taping, and Mae Young giving birth to a hand makes it to television but somehow the Aladdin Splash is deemed to be too offensive to be shown on prime time?

Danshoku Dieno did a version of it against Akira Tozawa, but it didn't end in a pinfall...also it was with a blanket. Fill in the blanks with your imagination.

Vs Consequences Creed

vs Homicide

vs Suicide, TNA X Division Championship

vs Kip James

vs Kyoshi vs Jay Lethal vs Consequences Creed vs Sucicide, TNA X Division Championship

Then he spent several months as Great Khali's mouthpiece, because... uh... because Iran and India are both on the same continent, I guess? 

Daivari recruited Khalli to get revenge for Taker killing Hassan..

Why they pushed Hassan over Daivari is Hassan was tall and that was how they did things then.