DVDVR Message Board

Sepp Blatter and FIFA, Nincompoops

Dolfan in NYC

The only thing crooked about that Italy match was that they finished with as many players on the pitch as they did, after they managed not to get anyone sent off for physically pushing a referee (twice) because they're Italy. The part where Totti managed to shoot it over an empty net from 6 feet away probably had something to do with it too. Fuck them.

Guest Edwin

And Totti getting sent off for diving after he was blatantly roughed up the box which was a clear penalty.

And let's not even bother with the Koreans blatantly roughing up the other teams blatantly in front of the ref.'s faces and them ignoring it.

Yeah, but I had, like, half a bottle of melatonin, six beers, and this whole bucket of fuckin' chicken. Aaaah, the sandman is comin'!

Do it for Cody.

The main thing I'm noting now is every call we ever viewed as being questionable now is going to be viewed significantly even more suspicious in hindsight.

Wait and see how the uswnt fares in the world cup..

In today's run of "How Fucked is FIFA?"

One former FIFA executive committee says that they issued the 2010 World Cup to the losing country.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2482914/morocco-not-south-africa-won-2010-world-cup-vote-report

Now, it's likely someone's lying about their vote, but I wonder if this will lead to countries making their vote public in the future.

Jesus titty fucking Christ! Die Zeit says that former German chancellor Gerhard Shröder more or less bought Egypt's vote for the '06 World Cup through arms supply. From the Guardian's article:

The claims alleged that the government lifted arms restrictions days before the vote in order to make the shipment and help swing Saudi Arabia’s vote to Germany.

Vote has been discussed in the past a fair bit (although it got silenced a lot in German media), but didn´t expect THAT level sinistry behind it. Made worse by the fact that the Schroeder goverment was partly a green party who were totally against war and arms export.

I remember a German satire magazine catching flag for claiming they brought the World Cup to Germany by promising FIFA officials gifts like beer and Weißwurst (a bavarian sausage, not my kind of deal). This was followed by an outrage because people feared for Germany´s reputation and felt that it hurt their chances with their bid. Well, those caught in the act are the ones trying to put the blame on others, I guess.

It´s funny to read that Morocco´s bid was the one supposedly winning the African World CUp in 2010. It was said for years that Morocco was the best prepared and best suited candidate for an African World Cup. Blatter was heavily advocating a South African WC as early as the year 2000...fishy to say the least.

Today in Jack Warner: Ultimate Slimeball (From ESPN News Feed)

Jack Warner has been investigated by US Prosecutors over the disappearance of money meant for victims of the Haiti Earthquake. He raised $750,000 when he visited in 2010. He denies the allegations of corruption  and bribery.

Jack Warner's response video to John Oliver's five minutes on Trinidadian TV is absolutely hilarious, just for the dramatic background music alone.

John Oliver's original video I actually didn't find quite as funny as his regular contributions on the topic on his TV show.

Oliver's original video that aired in Trinidad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji6pj2PX-Io

Jack Warner's response:

So Jack Warner says he is looking forward to face corruption charges in court. He is really the funniest and at the same time most infuriating person in all of this. Everything seems to have died down a lot, I really hope this isn´t going to slide under anyone´s radar so FIFA can go back to being its usual self. Which is probably going to happen anyway.

And of course - now there are reports that Sepp is reconsidering his resgination.

Because of course he is...

Best part is because Asia and Africa want him to stay

Oliver did a great job of explaining why they want him to stick around (revenue sharing).

• 2 weeks later...

So Blatter apparently reminded everyone that he hasn´t resigned yet and seems to be evaluating his options. Good for him, I guess?

Meanwhile, Liberian FA-president Bility starts throwing himself into the mix of potential Blatter-successors. Since the African confed has the biggest amount of votes, he might have a pretty good shot if he is able to get Asia to vote for him aswell.

The more important thing is that Diego Maradona is running for President

Does he? I didn´t see any news about this, at least not from reliable sources. Well, tbh, nothing regarding Diego is a reliable source, not even Maradonna himself.