DVDVR Message Board

Sepp Blatter and FIFA, Nincompoops

Dolfan in NYC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fifa/11650126/Sepp-Blatter-faces-growing-calls-to-stand-down-immediately-as-Fifa-descends-into-farce.html

"David Bernstein, the former FA chairman, likened Mr Blatter to the monster in the film Alien, saying: “You could not get the alien out of that spaceship, no matter how hard you tried. And when, in the end, they did get it out, they found that it was clinging on to the outside. This man somehow can't help himself. He will cling on to the last moment."

"Salah Sabra, the deputy chief of the Jordanian FA, said there was no Fifa statute demanding an election if a president resigns, and Mr Blatter "has resigned and not resigned. It seems he is giving himself another year (in office). He might change his mind”."

• Like 1

Surprised no one's brought up how Blatter's arrogance means they're going to have to expensively reconvene for another election down the line. He could've stepped down instead of Prince Ali after the first round of elections last week and saved everyone a metric fuckton of aggravation.

I was going to make that point but I'm not used to posting on my phone.

Sepp Blatter to stand down as FIFA President!!! Good riddance, cunt.

I know little about world football, but Natural's cursing has made my day! Blatter and Shia LeBeouf better not cross Natural's path. :lol:

Heh. Best wishes to you.

Blatter stepping down only means something if the whole system gets revamped. I mean, all you have is people going out of their way to save their skin by scapegoating others. It amazes me how a guy like Chuck Blazer qualifies as a suit at FIFA in the first place. I mean, he seems about as qualified as anyone of us in regards of football knowledge and looks like...well, looks like he looks.

Blatter stepping down only means something if the whole system gets revamped. I mean, all you have is people going out of their way to save their skin by scapegoating others. It amazes me how a guy like Chuck Blazer qualifies as a suit at FIFA in the first place. I mean, he seems about as qualified as anyone of us in regards of football knowledge and looks like...well, looks like he looks.

Someone wrote to the Men In Blazers pod about how Chuck Blazer came to speak to his business class at Columbia (or similar NYC university) and no one could believe how he ended up as a FIFA VP.

Same with Sepp. From wedding singer to Fifa Prez. Apparently, he leanred his networking by being a bellhop in a luxury hotel. so, Sepp was Zero in Grand Budapest Hotel.

• Like 3

We probably know more about the sport but to be honest I don't have any idea what that has to do with running FIFA.

I just meant to point out the hypocrasy of it all, although I was probably being Captain Obvious. FIFA - like any other big sporting organization - claims they make changes or alternations for the better of the game. There is, however, no claim to authority, let alone competence when looking at guys like Blatter and Blazer (and probably quite a few others). This just amazes me, I admit, although it probably shouldn´t. I mean, I´m not always keen on the German federations and there´s probably a lot of corruption or at least mutual back scratching going on, but those guys often seem competent in respective fields combined with lots of networking within German football for decades before they turn up in higher positions.

Okay, so Ireland was compensated €5m by FIFA over the Thierry Henry handball qualifier (in what's being called a "loan to build stadiums"), South Africa's official opposition is calling for the 2010 WC organizer to make a statement after a leaked letter indicates he suggested a $10m payment to Caribbean football. Oh, and an Egyptian official says they refused to pay Jack Warner a $7m bribe for his vote regarding the 2010 WC.

So, just another morning at FIFA HQ.

• Like 1

I'm cynical in regards to world politics and bureaucracy but if real change is going to happen the bigwigs need to get absolutely hammered legally and financially to scare the shit out of the next batch of scumbags in charge of Fifa. Nothing will help transparency come about more than the last regime getting annihilated every which way and have watchdogs keeping a close eye on the current set up. Intrinsic motivation obviously doesn't work with these people.

I will schmooze all the FIFA officials I see at IGF next week. I'll be the next FIFA president. World Cups will be awarded to the countries with the best beer. Sorry Greece.

Jesus titty fucking Christ! Die Zeit says that former German chancellor Gerhard Shröder more or less bought Egypt's vote for the '06 World Cup through arms supply. From the Guardian's article:

The claims alleged that the government lifted arms restrictions days before the vote in order to make the shipment and help swing Saudi Arabia’s vote to Germany.

Guest Edwin

Hope something arises about the 2002 WC which I'm sure eventually will with the way this is developing. Yes, yes, I know, but I'm sure something a lot crazier than the norm has to be tied.