DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 68: Boetsch vs. Henderson (6/6/2015) - New Orleans, LA (Smoothie King Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Tim-Boetsch-vs-Dan-Henderson-Poster-sq.j

UFC Fight Night 68: Boetsch vs. Henderson

June 6, 2015

New Orleans, LA (Smoothie King Center)

Tim Boetsch (185.5) vs. Dan Henderson (186) - Henderson, KO (punches), R1 (0:28)

Ben Rothwell (265) vs. Matt Mitrione (255) - Rothwell, SUB (modified guillotine choke), R1 (1:54)

Dustin Poirier (156) vs. Yancy Medeiros (159.5)** - Poirier, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:38)

Thiago Tavares (146) vs. Brian Ortega (146) - Ortega, TKO (punches), R3 (4:10)

Joe Soto (136) vs. Anthony Birchak (136) - Birchak, KO (punches), R1 (1:37)

Francisco Rivera (136) vs. Alex Caceres (136) - Rivera, KO (punches), R1 (0:21)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Shawn Jordan (263.5) vs. Derrick Lewis (254.5) - Jordan, TKO (punches), R2 (0:48)

Brian Ebersole (170.5) vs. Omari Akhmedov (171) - Akhmedov, TKO (injury corner retirement), R1 (5:00)

Chris Wade (155.5) vs. Christos Giagos (155.5) - Wade, DEC (unanimous)

Joe Proctor (156) vs. Justin Edwards (156) - Proctor, SUB (guillotine choke), R3 (4:58)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Ricardo Abreu (183) vs. Jake Collier (185.5) - Collier, DEC (split)

José Alberto Quiñónez (135) vs. Leonardo Morales (137)* - Quiñónez, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:34)

*Reweighed after weighing 140 on first attempt; forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

**Chose not to reweigh; forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Shawn Jordan

Performance of the Night: Dustin Poirier

Fight of the Night: Thiago Tavares vs. Brian Ortega

Attendance: 6,231

Gate: $621,523

Rating: 950,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Alan Jouban vs. Brian Ebersole - Injury to Jouban

Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Thiago Tavares - Injury to Tukhugov

Daniel Cormier vs. Ryan Bader - Cormier Moved to Another Card

Daniel Sarafian vs. Ricardo Abreu - Injury to Sarafian

Maybe it's due to card space, but they probably should've put Quinonez vs. Morales on the Mexico City show next week. I had to make sure that wasn't a typo or bizarre Wikipedia edit.

I'm surprised he settled for an opponent with a profile much lower than his. Boetsch is the first person he as faced since Bisping that wasn't a MMA champ at some point. Bisping talked that fight up and helped get eyeballs on it so you probably have to go back to Toquinho.

I think that says a lot about what he is willing to do now versus what he would do prior to leaving for Strikeforce.

Did Brian Ebersole get abducted by aliens or something?  Because a few years back, I thought he was a fairly decent fighter.  Now he just looks horrendous and stinks up the joint whenever he fights.

Did Brian Ebersole get abducted by aliens or something?  Because a few years back, I thought he was a fairly decent fighter.  Now he just looks horrendous and stinks up the joint whenever he fights.

Part of that is a combination of fighting so infrequently and already having seventy fights. In my opinion, this was just a tough matchup. Akhmedov isn't a world beater by any means, but I expected him to beat up Ebersole for three rounds. If you don't fall into his awkward style, you will beat him.

Edit: Looks like that is it for him anyway

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 1m

Brian Ebersole announces his retirement after his loss tonight. That’s a guy who I figured would never, ever retire

Did Shawn Jordan just tune up the band and hit some sweet chin music? 

That is the second SCM I've seen in the last six or so months. Louis Smolka on Richie Vaculik, one of my favorite KOs of last year, is the other. Normally, I wouldn't post videos from non-official accounts but this one has JR so fuck it.

You can add Brian Ortega to the legit featherweight prospect list. He grabbed an awesome come-from-behind win in a situation where many would've folded up.

• Like 2

That was a fantastic fight and he showed so much in that performance.

In Canada, the prelims were tucked away on the Fight Network but the main show has been a blast so far.

He almost knocked Tim "Cabeza de Piedra" Boetsch out while backing up.  I once heard that knocking a guy out backing up is like a pitcher throwing a fastball backing up.  That isn't supposed to happen, especially when you are 44 years old.

He almost knocked Tim "Cabeza de Piedra" Boetsch out while backing up.  I once heard that knocking a guy out backing up is like a pitcher throwing a fastball backing up.  That isn't supposed to happen, especially when you are 44 years old.

If you walk into the punch ala Forrest against Anderson, you're virtually doing all the work for your opponent. All your momentum is coming forward and into the strikes. Even if you're backing up, you can still sidestep it from an angle at the last second or just plain throw back. It works pretty good in an octagon if you're half decent at boxing.

Lots of fast finishes all night which makes a card like this, that looks like a lesser card on paper, a lot more fun and exciting to watch.  Especially when the two heavyweight fights end quickly :D .

I am happy for Dan Henderson.  He got a great moment, and I think it would be a perfect moment for his career to end on, but he just isn't wired that way.  The problem is no fighter wants to go out on a losing streak, but if they are winning, it makes no sense to retire either.  Henderson got matched up against a lesser middleweight tonight and looked great, but I am not sure he looks that good against the killers of the division.  Eh who knows.  Doubt Henderson hangs it up after this.

Also FYI, Dominick Cruz and Kenny Florian just burying the performances of Mitrione and Boetsch tonight on FS1 was absolutely hilarious.