DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I had to take a break after episode 4 because I don't want to go through it too quickly. Gonna try and space out the last few episodes.

I'm watching on BBC AMerica, so I don't have that problem, weekly is just about right for it. . . .

Okay, okay. Who here watches Rectify?

I finally watched the pilot hoping I wouldn't like it and get sucked in, but the damn pilot is good. Real good. Damn you Netflix. Now I have to go through this show. :angry:

The show is funnier than I thought it would be due to the subject matter.

Watched the first season in about 2 days a while back, great show, it just sucks you in and hypnotises you for 40-50 minutes while still making sure that theres enough story and you'll tune in for the next episode. Actor who plays Daniel is outstanding.

Anyone else watching Last Man on Earth? It's kind of uneven and predictable at times but overall I enjoy it.

I absolutely loved the first season and thought it was hilarious.

The Brink tonight was a blast. I know it didn't get over all that much here last week, but fuck . I loved it.

I absolutely loved A Deadly Adoption. Playing it straight like that was the right creative choice. Those movies are self-parodies to start with. There's no need to heighten the dialogue or reactions. Keeping it straight faced really brought out the hilarity of the ridiculous plot and dialogue. A+.

I kinda get what the Brink is going for, with balancing out pants shitting stuff in the world with comedy, but the comedy is just constantly missing the mark. It was better this episode, compared with the previous one, but I didn't find myself actually laughing once. It just makes me wish they just stuck with the drama and let the comedy be of the unintentional variety.

It wasn't as boring as Ballers, so I'll give it that.

Man, this round of tv for HBO is pretty lackluster.

Anyone not watching Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell should be kicking themselves, it is all kinds of awesome.

I'm about 40 minutes into the first episode and I'm really liking Marc Warren. The trailers really didn't sell me on it but what I've seen so far looks promising.

Anyone catch "Humans" on AMC yet?

They're trying to be a mix between Entourage and The Game (sans the sassy female characters and soap tone). It's certainly there.

If it goes past three seasons, I will be astounded.

The ratings for the premiere of BALLERS blew away the series-highs for all of HBO's other current comedies. It won't consistently do that well, but it's almost certainly guaranteed to be back next season.

If nothing else, I think HBO will see value in being in the Rock business, much the same way CBS stays in the Melissa McCarthy business even though MIKE & MOLLY has never really been a hit (by CBS's standards, anyway) and they've cancelled shows that do the same ratings.

Anyway, it's such a weird show. They've got the most charismatic guy on the planet, but they don't let him use an ounce of it. Thus far, every episode is 30 minutes of Rock lecturing everyone on being more responsible. FUN.

As much I definitely don't want it to happen, it would have made sense to pick up the audience left by The Game. It went from a random show that got cancelled by CW to being a major hit for BET. They managed to parlay that into NINE seasons, which was about seven seasons too many IMO.

I think they are half way committed to that, but they need the female characters to drive it home. Right now, they have the happy, complacent wife who just wants her husband to have a decent job after football. Then, we have the racially ambiguous girl who knows her star player husband fucks around with other women and is somewhat okay with it. She just wants to spend his money.

The problem with this is The Game managed to be more creative than that and actually delve more into the Lipstick Alley side. Those female characters on Ballers along with the groupie from the fatal car wreck are just awful, generic stereotypes. The Game managed to turn those stereotypes up seven notches and put them in the driver's seat of the show. They got that ball rolling way before Empire did.

I like Dwayne Johnson and love most of his movies, but compared to Wendy Raquel Robinson in this capacity, he is lacking something fierce. I know she is a veteran character actress, and this is a new avenue and role for him. However, no one wants to watch him work out deals for 30 minutes when you can actually watch that stuff play out on Twitter, Fox Sports, and ESPN. Plus, we already have like 25 other fixer shows on TV.

The Game is/was an awful show, but I can see why it was around for a long time. HBO better hope The Rock doesn't run into any bad scheduling conflicts because they got nothing else going for this show.

The ratings for the premiere of BALLERS blew away the series-highs for all of HBO's other current comedies. It won't consistently do that well, but it's almost certainly guaranteed to be back next season.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/hbo-ratings-girls-looking-season-premiere-togetherness-1201348361/

Not too surprising given how unlikable the competition is on HBO.

I honestly think at this point that HBO execs are more concerned with AV Club/Grantland reviews than actual number of subscribers who watch these shows.