DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Saw the 1st episode of Ballers will give it several more episodes because of Rock and Rob.

They do play off of each other pretty well.

I feel like I missed something in that first episode, though. In the aftershow thingy, the Rock kept talking about how his character's time is running out and he made it sound like his character is dying. I recall his character chomping on some medicine at the beginning of the show, but nothing about him dying.

• Like 1

Saw the 1st episode of Ballers will give it several more episodes because of Rock and Rob.

They do play off of each other pretty well.

I feel like I missed something in that first episode, though. In the aftershow thingy, the Rock kept talking about how his character's time is running out and he made it sound like his character is dying. I recall his character chomping on some medicine at the beginning of the show, but nothing about him dying.

I think it's a case of his character feels like he has to make something of himself in his post-football career quickly, or he will just be another washed-up, broke, pain-killer addicted, ex-pro who could not adjust to a post-football lifestyle.

Suits is just completely ridiculous now, if this were a real law firm, they would have gone out of business years ago over how unstable the management team is.

Also, apparent on my 70-inch OLED TV, the actress who plays Donna is now wearing gobs of makeup to hide her freckles/clear up her complexion.

Suits is just completely ridiculous now, if this were a real law firm, they would have gone out of business years ago over how unstable the management team is.

Suits is a soap opera masquerading as a procedural show about a law firm.   I used to be an investigator for a firm back in the day and no attorney at the firm spent as much time after hours lounging around their office as those people do.  They certainly didn't even dream of doing half of the illegal shit that Pearson, Spector, Litt routinely gets away with.

For a show with a dumb title, Mr. Robot is pretty awesome.  I think this show is what that stupid movie Blackhat wanted to be.

Happy Under the Dome Day, everybody!

So CBS decided not to air the season and has destroyed the evidence?

Re: Suits and Mr. Robot.  The Mr. Robot pilot was the only summer show I've particularly liked so far.  The pilot was very good.  I'm wondering how long they can sustain things before it gets ridiculous, but I'm in for now.

Enjoyed the Suits premiere quite a bit.  Yeah, the legal stuff tends to bear only a passing resemblance to anything that might actually happen at a law firm, but I've enjoyed the show.  The various permutations of "Mike's got a secret that could bring down all of us" is getting tiresome, so I'm hoping they keep the focus on Harvey-Louis-Donna.

Happy Under the Dome Day, everybody!

So CBS decided not to air the season and has destroyed the evidence?

Seriously, it's the best bad show on television. It doesn't even care about making sense any more.

And the guy that plays Junior has the stiffest delivery this side of KENTA.

For a show with a dumb title, Mr. Robot is pretty awesome.  I think this show is what that stupid movie Blackhat wanted to be.

I gave up during the scene where the cute blonde was yelling as the main character for daydreaming about stalking her as she's in a bar.

Yay, another crime show where a major charactor has an Autism Spectrum disorder.  That hasn't been done to death or anything.

I gave up during the scene where the cute blonde was yelling as the main character for daydreaming about stalking her as she's in a bar.

Yay, another crime show where a major charactor has an Autism Spectrum disorder.  That hasn't been done to death or anything.

I liked it for the most part.  Shows and movies with some sort of hacker storyline usually turn me off because of how glaringly inaccurate all the details are to someone in the IT industry, but this show reigned in the absurdity quite a bit.  I'm totally with you on the overdone trope of any character with high amounts of tech skills being borderline autistic or being otherwise socially incompetent.  Speaking of overdone tropes, it's pretty obvious a major angle will also be built around the "main character is in love with his opposite sex best friend, but of course she doesn't appreciate him and dates douchebags instead, but realizes later she actually loves him too" and that needs to not be a thing anymore.

It is not just an overdone trope; the guy is the male version of Lisbeth Salander.  It will be interesting to see if the producers vindicate the paranoia about Evil Corp and make it a real thing  or will they go with the far better swerve and have the whole deal be a figment of his imagination.

It would be a fresh change for the conspiracy theorist actually be wrong about the conspiracy.

Never had interest in Heroes, but like the one of the commercial for the reboot.  Might give it a shot.

For non-wrestling weekly viewing, I'm really digging the hell out of Maron on IFC.  At first I was amused that I saw him as the CM Punk of comedy (or is it more Punk was the Maron of wrestling)  But watching it more it's beyond that and it's a pretty entertaining show.  It's awkward as hell, but not in the "Can't watch this anymore" type.  A couple episodes back he had his ex-wife over, and that was really well-done.  Last week they had one about shitty internet service and the horrible customer service he had.  That more than rang true with me, especially once I moved to the city.  But yeah, great show.

Okay, okay. Who here watches Rectify?

I finally watched the pilot hoping I wouldn't like it and get sucked in, but the damn pilot is good. Real good.   Damn you Netflix.  Now I have to go through this show.  :angry:

The show is funnier than I thought it would be due to the subject matter.

• Like 1

I think the real USA formula is shows that have an interesting premise that will in the long-run hamper the show if it becomes successful and long running.

I agree with this 100%. To me, even the best USA shows only really have a shelf life of 3, maybe 4, seasons at absolute most and even then it'll be a tough slog towards the end. White Collar and Suits especially fit this. The only one that really escaped this was Burn Notice and the final season of that wasn't particularly good. Psych also but that was a different type of show