DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Don’t you hate it when you get late into a show, it’s removed without warning? You want it to return and much later it does on a different channel, you only find out yesterday it’s been on since April. Frustrating.

I caught the last two eps of Orange Is the New Black at a friend's the other night (he was binge watching. 19 hours, goddamn!). It was, well, kind of uneventful. There was one big feel-good moment at the very end that is probably gonna end up with a very eventful beginning to the next season, though.

I read someplace that Orange is the New Black is written specifically to be binged, which changes how the show is paced.  I can see that, as I watched the first episode of the latest season last night and pretty much nothing happened.  It was definitely created with the idea that I'd be watching probably the second and third episodes, at least, at the same time. 

As a guy who really doesn't have much time to devote to TV and definitely does not binge watch, I don't like it.  "We can write a dull episode because the next one will be good so the viewers will give us a pass" is not the best way to go about creating a show.  Because if you don't binge, all you have today is a bad episode.

They'd been waiting for this for a  while.  

The joke being that in the movie they were 20 years too old for their parts, now they're 30 years too old for the parts.   I'm stoked. 

Yeah, I didn't realize that right away and then read it in that Wiki page. I thought that was brilliant and then had to do a double take to see if Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd would be in it.

Plus, the fact that it hits in just over a month is awesome.

I wonder if this will lead to a sequel or something. Really, just anything to make up for Wanderlust, which was only good for Paul Rudd's character trying to hype himself up before he talks to Linda.

• Like 1

Anyone watching Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell? Not to get too hyperbolic, but I believe that its the best piece of literature of this young century and am pretty excited for the series adaptation (a much better idea than the movie that was in production a few years ago). One episode in and I am pretty satisfied. The casting is pretty much dead on, Childermass especially, although Norrell is younger than I imagined (I always pictured Ian Holm when reading). Paul Kaye as Vinculus the carny street magician is a particularly inspired bit of casting.

I fully expect it to hold up, so this is a definite recommendation for anyone that is interested in historical fiction fantasy. For anyone unfamiliar with the source material, it is about magic (in the form of the 2 title characters) returning to England for the first time in 300 years, during the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Except its not sorcerers in cloaks and funny hats, as magic is presented as being an almost scholarly pursuit (during the time of magic's disappearance, practical magicians have been replaced by theoretical magicians, stuffed shirts that discuss the history of the practice).

• Like 1

It occurred to me tonight that I've seen every episode of Friends and Seinfeld, but not intentionally. They were never appointment television, and I don't ever remember going out of my way to see an episode. But now whenever there's one on TV I realize I've seen it. It's got to be some kind of cultural osmosis. Or I've just been in a ton of captive audience situations with two of the most syndicated sitcoms ever.

So the Rock has his own HBO series about being a retired football player called Ballers. Yep. If any of you have HBOGo I guess you can already watch it.

EDIT: Hey, it sounds pretty good. The comparison to Arliss immediately perked up my ears. Plus, Rob Cordry! I dunno about the other show with Tim Robbins they talk about here though; Jack Black makes me want to run for the hills. http://www.npr.org/2015/06/17/415210181/hbos-new-sunday-lineup-is-full-of-pleasant-surprises

My wife started watching THE KILLING and I'm enjoying seeing her go rapidly through all the stages people have described.  Over the course of about a week she went from:

1) "Have you seen this?  It's really good."

2) "It's getting a bit complicated.  Nothing ever seems to lead anywhere."

3) "I don't know how much more of this I can take.  But I'll at least stay to the first season finale so I can found out what happened."

4) "Is that suits? I though you were watching The Killing?" "Fuck The Killing."

• Like 2

Silicon Valley is really great. I completely buy these guys having a non-stop series of errors since they're very much on the spectrum to various degrees. Good at coding or the like? Yep. Good at human communication or long-term strategy planning? Not at all. Of course Richard would nearly hand off all of his intellectual property at the most obvious set-up.

• Like 1