DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Holy shit. There was a transitive property and a reflexive property joke on Silicon Valley. I was dying with laughter. The jokes on this show are so fucking awesome.

It's the summer. Time to claim that you are going to catch up on all the shows that you won't actually catch up on.

Hah.  I am actually catching up on shows this summer.  We watched the first three seasons of Scandal over the past few weeks.  Planning to start rewatching Season 4 later this week or next week.

I'm currently halfway through Justice League/Justice League United.  Been meaning to rewatch that for years.

Bought the first three seasons of Once Upon a Time last week (on dvd).  Planning to marathon all seasons of that sometime later this month.

When I get caught up a bit, planning to buy the first couple seasons of Revenge and season 1 of Arrow and watch them.  My daughter got me to watch Revenge with her this year.  Really dug the Emily Thorne character as a heel who thinks she's a babyface.  Kinda lost interest when they turned her full-on babyface for the finishing stretch.

Not sure what we'll watch after that.  Got the one season of John Doe (Fox thriller from several years ago) around,  Probably get to that this year.  Several animated/anime shows I plan to rewatch (Full Metal Alchemist, both series; Young Justice; Avengers: EMH).

Probably will rewatch Orphan Black at some point.  On Demand has all the episodes upped until.... end of July, I think.  I've seen most of season 1 about three times.  Always tap out before I get to the season finale.  Haven't seen any of season 2 or 3.  My impression is it's a very average show with an outstanding performance by the lead, but I still intend to power through at least season 2 this summer.

I'm actually revisiting Justice League right now, as it turns out.  I won't front like I'm going to catch up on everything, since I've still got a half dozen episodes each of Big Bang Theory and Modern Family in the DVR.

I don't know about you guys, but I hate it when shows try to add characters to boost ratings.  

This is the newest addition to Keeping Up With the Kardashians:

CGbVow8W8AAp0cs.jpg

Seriously though.  Congrats to Caitlyn for going through this and living life on her terms.

• Like 1

I tried to watch Aquarius but holy shit is it bad.  It's so fucking boring and the Charles Manson character is so stereotypically Charlies Manson it's like a parody.  Every word out of his mouth was like a Bray Wyatt promo.  It reminded me of Ask Manson from the Ben Stiller Show.  The dude can't even tell his lawyer's secretary, on the phone, that he's not leaving a message.  Instead, he goes into some diatribe about ....oh fuck, man, I don't even know.  It was so ponderous and lame.

Season premier of Under The Dome is this Thursday and Graceland starts back up on USA pretty soon.

I pretty much found myself hate-watching the second half of Under the Dome.  I guess I'll pick it up again but I seriously assumed it would be cancelled.  Did you know that Dome and Extant (also pretty bad) were only renewed because Amazon paid so much for the exclusive rebroadcast rights?  So to reiterate, a show can be the drizzling shits and not do great numbers but if a fledgling content provider is willing to pony up cash for the right to show reruns, they'll keep pumping them out.  It's a new world, man.

I'm all in on The Island.  It's basically what I've always wanted from Survivor, just give them nothing and watch them eventually tear each other apart.

Bonus points for seemingly not putting a single dude out there who has any clue what he's doing.  

I tried to watch Aquarius but holy shit is it bad.  It's so fucking boring and the Charles Manson character is so stereotypically Charlies Manson it's like a parody.  Every word out of his mouth was like a Bray Wyatt promo.  

Yea I made it all the way to "Hi, I'm Charlie Manson" and I knew that was as far as I needed to go.  I'm bummed because I've definitely missed my Duchovny fix since Californication ended, but I'll just pass on this and wait until the new X-Files is here.

Haven't posted any TV reviews in awhile but have a few to add. Am currently binge-watching Homicide and will have a review of that when I'm done. In the meantime:

Road to the Winter Classic - Mini-series or brief TV show covering the path to the 2015 Winter Classic NHL game for the Washington Capitals and Chicago Blackhawks. The maker of the series were granted full, uncensored access behind the scenes. If you're a sports fan, especially if you're a hockey fan, you'll eat this stuff up. Lots of great scenses, closeups on bruises, visits with family, arguments with referees, the whole nine yards. Really, really good stuff. One caveat - there is TONS of profanity, most of it from the two head coaches (Barry Trotz and Joel Quenneville). If you can handle the f-bombs, you're in for a treat. 9/10.

The Jinx - Is this a documentary or a TV series? Hard to say so I'm saying it's a TV series. The Jinx tells the story of Robert Durst, an uber-rich guy from New York with, well, apparently a penchant for murdering people. This is truly one of the most remarkable mini-series you will ever see. Andrew Jarecki, the director of The Jinx, previously made All Good Things, a movie that told a ficitonalized version of Durst's story. Durst contacted Jarecki and offered to be interviewed for a documentary. What follows is just...amazing. Durst is charming and likeable yet clearly not always very bright as his continued participation shows. Either that or he's TRYING to get caught. Or he's so delusional that he thinks he can't possibly BE caught. Jarecki and his crew investigate three murders seemingly committed by Durst and turn up incredible evidence that seems to link Durst. They then capture him apparently CONFESSING when he thought his microphone was off. Amazing, surreal stuff. This is a dark topic but it's told really well. Must-see TV, indeed. 9/10.

Freaks and Geeks - This was a tough one to judge. I somehow missed out on this show when it was first on but years of "you have to see it!" led me to seek it out. After watching the first episode, I found myself wondering what all the fuss was about as it was pretty terrible. I stuck with it, though, and the show grows and matures over its only season. The cast is pretty remarkable - Linda Cardellini, James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel and others - and they are universally outstanding here. Freaks and Geeks tells the story of two different groups of outcasts - the studious, nerdy "geeks" and the pot-smoking, slacker "freaks". Cardellini plays Lindsay, a super-bright girl who finds herself a bit lost after the death of her grandmother, gravitating toward the "freaks" while her younger brother resides in the "geeks". The stories that Freaks and Geeks tells are universal themes - love, friendship, trying to fit in, etc. They are told with a deft touch and sometimes amazing poignancy. A particular highlight is the episode where a bully is invited by the geeks to a sci-fi convention and really wants to go but doesn't because he doesn't want to be a "geek". By the end of the season, Freaks and Geeks reaches the heights of TV writing and is truly excellent. It's not perfect, however. Cardellini's Lindsay is a baffling character, making decisions that seem to make no sense even with the context of the show. And the cast, good as it is, is simply TOO OLD. Some of the "freaks" are only 19 or so but they ALL look a lot older. Cardellini looks like she's 35. Unfortunately, Freaks and Geeks performed poorly in the ratings and thus lasted just one season. The producers apparently got some advance notice of this and rushed a conclusion to the season, one that feels a bit forced. In the end, this is one of the great "what if?" shows of all-time. Watching it is definitely bittersweet, its high quality offset by the knowledge that you only get one season :( 8/10.

Haven't posted any TV reviews in awhile but have a few to add. Am currently binge-watching Homicide and will have a review of that when I'm done.

How are you binge-watching Homicide?  DVD's?  Or is it streaming somewhere that I have missed?  I hope it's the latter, that is one show I'd really like to go back and watch all the way through.

I watched the first few episodes of Penny Dreadful and it wasn't bad but didn't really grab me either.  I've heard it's pretty decent and might give it another shot though.

Last night I watched the first few episodes of Halt and Catch Fire.  The initial reviews kept me from checking it out sooner despite the premise sounding like something up my alley.  Several people mentioned in last month's tv thread that it got good so I gave it a shot and it's pretty much drawn me in from the get-go.  If it only gets better as it goes then I think I'm going to enjoy it.

After missing the last few episodes of Orphan Black I think I'm going to just wait till the end of season 3 to catch up with it.  So far it's barely been keeping my interest and at this point I kind of want to watch it to find out what happens more than anything else but I'm not really invested in it anymore.

Haven't posted any TV reviews in awhile but have a few to add. Am currently binge-watching Homicide and will have a review of that when I'm done.

How are you binge-watching Homicide? DVD's? Or is it streaming somewhere that I have missed? I hope it's the latter, that is one show I'd really like to go back and watch all the way through.

DVDs.

RuPaul's Drag Race is the best reality competition on TV.  I literally had no idea who was going to win until she announced 

Violet Chachki.  Terrific season all around.  Condragulations to the winner indeed.  

She could have won it all just based on this alone:

f97cc0ed6e4c7cb49235c5bb64a1dccc.jpg

RuPaul's Drag Race is the best reality competition on TV.  I literally had no idea who was going to win until she announced 

Violet Chachki.  Terrific season all around.  Condragulations to the winner indeed.  

Oh my Jeebus...you can't seriously be watching that dreck.

But I guess someone is seeing as it and shit like it keep constantly getting renewed for new seasons.

Pretty soon that's all traditional TV programming will be...tranny beauty pageants, mamas putting their little girls on display in pageants for the pedos to drool over, signing/dancing/"talent" shows, hillbillies chasing some new monster that doesn't exist, dating/relationship "reality" shows, housewives with horrible cosmetic work from somewhere someplace screaming at each other, a weekly day in the life of some "celebrity" trash family, fake ass court shows, shows about home flipping/renovation/hunting/etc. and Family Feud reruns.

Oh my Jeebus...you can't seriously be watching that dreck.

But I guess someone is seeing as it and shit like it keep constantly getting renewed for new seasons.

Pretty soon that's all traditional TV programming will be...tranny beauty pageants, mamas putting their little girls on display in pageants for the pedos to drool over, signing/dancing/"talent" shows, hillbillies chasing some new monster that doesn't exist, dating/relationship "reality" shows, housewives with horrible cosmetic work from somewhere someplace screaming at each other, a weekly day in the life of some "celebrity" trash family, fake ass court shows, shows about home flipping/renovation/hunting/etc. and Family Feud reruns.

You forgot police procedurals.

I'm all in on The Island.  It's basically what I've always wanted from Survivor, just give them nothing and watch them eventually tear each other apart.

Bonus points for seemingly not putting a single dude out there who has any clue what he's doing.  

I hadn't heard about this show until your comment. Watched it and think it may have potential. It did, however, feature a pet peeve of mine in these kind of shows. The one guy did the smart thing and used his glasses to try and start a fire, except he BROKE them! Why?! Is this a necessary thing to do for the lens to work? I have a headache now.

Loved the first episode of Halt and Catch Fire. Since the horrendous hurricane episode midway through last season, the show has really hit its stride. I'm guessing Gordon gets bored and tries forcing his way into Mutiny. It's nice to see that even though 15 months have gone by, he's still as oblivious to what's happening in Donna's life as ever. I hope that the three mains stay separated for a few episodes more, their repetitive bickering is what really dragged down the first half of last season.

I was starting to worry that John wasn't going to show up, he was a sneaky good character last year. What was he in prison for? Something to do with Cardiff's finances? I honestly am not sure.

God, I missed Mackenzie Davis. That's a lady and a half.

Bosworth had Cameron hack Nathan Cardiff's bank account after he refused to loan them the money to finish developing the Giant. When they got busted, he took the fall for her.

Speaking of Nathan Cardiff, he might have the most punchable face on TV right now. I hate that guy.

As nice as it was to see Joe get the rug pulled out from under him in the premiere, it was goddamn Nathan Cardiff getting over on him, and I can't abide that.