DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

It wasn't SummerSlam, it was Vengeance. That was a bizzarre day here. There were MASSIVE floods around the area where I live, my dad's best mate was knocked down and killed during the downpour, I had to wade across a river (where there isn't normally a river) to get home from work, and then later that night, just before I was going to bed IIRC, all the Benoit stuff comes out.

• Like 1

My mum passed away the year before, and I remember being glad that she hadn't been around to see what happened. We'd both been big fans of Benoit's, especially in WCW.

A lot of my interest in wrestling left me after that.

I will just say this now to avoid confusion

All the nonsense that will happen tonight with TNA and Jarrett will be discussed in the sub forum so no need to post it here

I will just say this now to avoid confusion

All the nonsense that will happen tonight with TNA and Jarrett will be discussed in the sub forum so no need to post it here

Sadly, the nonsense ended up being nothing outside the normal nonsense and not worth discussing.  

It's definitely something to keep in mind with Daniel's situation.  All those concussions can really mess with a guy.  Thankfully he doesn't do the drugs like Benoit did, but he's still not out of the woods.  He might want to speak with Nowinski and donate once he passes (many years from now of course)  I now find myself gravitating towards guys like Daniel, Punk when he was around and now the indy guys making it in NXT.  From what I can see they're clean and drug-free, and barring a shitton of concussions like Daniel seem to be fine.

I like many was a huge Benoit fan and was ecstatic when he won at WM20.  I got the news on the way to a friend's house and was crying on the way there.  Once there I had to watch the tribute, even if on a TV in another room.  It was so, so sad.  It didn't hit me that he killed them, on the way home I was thinking up any conceivable scenario that didn't include him doing it.  When I got home I found out and it was a huge kick to the gut.  It's weird to say he was a hero, but that's what he was, and for him to do that really hurt.  Initially I had intense hatred for what he did, but over the years I just stopped caring.  I don't go out of my way anymore  to avoid his matches, if it's on it's on.  But the emotional investment was gone immediately.

I know we had a helluva time getting archives saved, but does anybody have the link to that thread?  It was like a billion pages, but very riveting to read.

On a lighter note, I noticed that with Tyson Kidd, Erick Rowan and Jey Uso all out long-term, their partners all have nothing to do. Why not stick them together?

Luke Harper, Cesaro, Jimmy Uso: TEAM LIMBO.

All I remember is that I, like many others, was in pretty deep denial at the time.  I was trying to blame everyone for the story blowing up like it did, and didn't want to accept it.  Now, I wasn't one of those psycopaths that thought Sullivan did it or some shit, thank goodness.  Benoit was my hero too, especially as a young, undersized guy trying to gain footing in the business at the time.  I can honestly say that I haven't invested in anyone, or placed anyone in wrestling as hero status since.  Wrestling died for many of us that day.

• Like 1

Did the discovery of how damaged Benoit's brain was impact anyone's opinion of him?

I always figured his brain was a mess.  It didn't change my opinion of him as far as murdering his family, but I had read a ton on brain injuries and feel like this might have been an avoidable event if this trauma was diagnosed at anytime and he was given help.  Knowing what we know about brain injuries, I am really glad the WWE at least does something to protect it's workers.  The NFL is in real trouble, especially with the speed and size of the guys in the game now.  There are already so many brain damaged former NFL players.  That number is just going to grow and grow, and the NFL will never do anything about it.  

Looking at the 10 year Manias (10, 20, 30) each revolve around Vince "changing his mind/opinion" and putting a wrestler in as a the face of the company and giving them the WWE title.

Bret had a huge falling out of the company three years later and was retired six years after winning the WWF Title from Yokozuna.

Benoit's tragedy happened three years after winning the World Heavyweight Title from Triple H (and beating HBK in a triple threat match)

Daniel Bryan goes from winning the WWE World Heavyweight Title to on the shelf for the rest of the year just two months after winning the WWE WHC, comes back for three months and his career is in jeopardy.

Bo Dallas will be 33 when Wrestlemania 40 happens so he's the only active WWE competitor I could see in that role of unlikely wrestler wins the belt at Mania role we've seen at each 10 year anniversary of Mania

Did the discovery of how damaged Benoit's brain was impact anyone's opinion of him?

Yes. It's similar to the opinion I have of football players suffering from the same brain injury who do something horrible. Benoit without the brain injuries wasn't the monster who committed those murders. It's clear that the person who killed his family and himself was so far gone that it just wasn't them. It doesn't excuse what happened or absolve Benoit of murdering his family, but it's hard to continuously hold such utter contempt against him to the point where you won't say his name, like he's Voldermort. I get why other people do, but for me, knowing what he was going through, I'm able to separate the persona of the man who committed those crimes from the one who put on some of the best matches I've ever seen.

That said, it is hard for me to go back and watch those matches because it is sad knowing what would happen months or years later. 

On a lighter note, I noticed that with Tyson Kidd, Erick Rowan and Jey Uso all out long-term, their partners all have nothing to do. Why not stick them together?

Luke Harper, Cesaro, Jimmy Uso: TEAM LIMBO.

Reminds me of one of my forgotten favorite teams of all time, The Gangstanators. It seems like simple booking to put two over baby face tag team wrestlers together to create a super team, though I can't recall any other dream teams.

Not really.  From accounts like the "what a gay bitch!" story and just hearing about how he came up, the guy more than likely had some pretty bad issues before you factor in the concussions.  I'm no Sidney M. Basil but he always struck me as a short, angry nutcase.  Did the concussions and brain damage push him over the edge?  Sure, but he was already partway there IMO.

• Like 1