DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I remember when he debuted doing the "hi, I'm Dolph Ziggler" gimmick, I thought the dude was destined for the big time. My problem with Dolph is that he can't do the "big match" formula that WWE needs. Everything Dolph does in-ring feels Mid-Card as hell. Rusev got the big match formula down within 6 months. Going elsewhere would help Dolph no end.

Also, Jeff Katz should be paying people double back, because those shows looked terrible in the clips that have been released.

I think Dolph is right where he needs to be. He's a good midcard guy, great bumper and little else. He's always been pretty bad on the mic and his offense is every bit as terrible as it's always been. He's a "show off" who never shows off. His outfits are awful. I don't know how anyone could view him as a top guy.

He has an innate charisma about him, but I will concede the points about subpar mic work and weak looking offense. It's like, dude, just get on YouTube and find some cool looking moves to do! The athleticism is there, he just needs to put it to better use. Also, his current denim vest with "hair band" patches all over it is weird and doesn't seem to suit him at all.

Dolph shows charisma and comes across well outside of WWE. Maybe he has bad "wrestling charisma" and may do better at other ventures. 

Cora Combs passes away

Sunday, 21 June 2015 14:32

Cora Combs, the last surviving member of the Billy Wolfe troupe in the heyday of women's pro wrestling, passed away at 7 a.m. today at a hospital in Nashville.

She was 92.  She had been suffering from pneumonia in the last week.

Combs, born Cora Svonsteckik was a former Country Music singer who, at the age of 26, attended a pro wrestling show headlined by Mildred Burke, then the biggest star in women's pro wrestling, back in 1949.

Nick Gulas introduced her to Wolfe, and she moved to Wolfe's home base in Columbus, OH and wrestled for 36 years, including at the end of her career, often wrestling her daughter Debbie, while wearing a mask as Lady Satin.

She headlined all over the world during the end of the Wolfe's stable heyday, and main evented with a significant push in Tennessee, where she was probably the most famous of the local women wrestlers.  She worked with just about every name wrestler from several generations, well into the 80s.

She was inducted into the Amsterdam, NY, based Pro Wrestling Hall of fame in 2007.

Vickie Guerrero?

I remember when Dolph first showed up (as Dolph) I couldn't stand him. Then he got inserted into a triple threat match with Morrison and... I don't remember the other one -- and suddenly I thought he was really good.

I think a lot of people's perception of him, both good (like me) and bad, is heavily influenced by how the WWE has used him. If he'd been given more than a cup of coffee in the SD main event, I think he'd have done well, but not as well as I'd have thought he would. Does that make sense?

Dolph is a cusper--right on the verge of being a superstar, but not quite getting there.  He's the Jeremy Renner of WWE.  He can carry the upper midcard/indie movie as the lead, but not the top level/blockbuster role.  He can be part of the mix, but not the primary focus.

• Like 2

When you see Dolph outside of the ring, he comes across as a funny and charming guy. I could see him being at least moderately successful. 

His ceiling is probably where his ex-girlfriend, Amy Schumer, is now. I could see him getting his own show but not much beyond that.

I dunno man, that's a lofty goal, she's very, very popular right now. I recall reading he was trying to do some web-series type thing for Comedy Central but I'm not sure if anything ever came of that.

At worst, Schumer is #4 at Comedy Central behind Stewart, Wilmore, and Key & Peele.

I should probably go back and watch it again, but Dolph was insane over (and I remember most people around here liking him) when he cashed in on Del Rio on that post-Mania episode of Raw.  He plays the underdog who gets people to rally behind him and actually makes you think he can win when up against someone significantly bigger or better than he is.  Problem is, there are several other people on the roster now who do that better than he does and are more solid in the ring.  The Billy Gunn comparisons are a bit out of place though, other than the haircut and one finisher I don't see that much in common as Ziggler is far more competent in the ring.  I like him overall and hope he stays in the business for a while longer, but his is a case of there just not being anything more for him to do in the WWE at this point.  In older days he would be ideal to get sent off to another territory for a year or so and work different people then be able to return as a fresh face that wouldn't have the stigma of being a guy who will never win much.  Also, his ring name is terrible.  It sounds like the name of someone doing a half-assed Val Venis gimmick.

When you see Dolph outside of the ring, he comes across as a funny and charming guy. I could see him being at least moderately successful. 

His ceiling is probably where his ex-girlfriend, Amy Schumer, is now. I could see him getting his own show but not much beyond that.

I dunno man, that's a lofty goal, she's very, very popular right now. I recall reading he was trying to do some web-series type thing for Comedy Central but I'm not sure if anything ever came of that.

At worst, Schumer is #4 at Comedy Central behind Stewart, Wilmore, and Key & Peele.

Schumer is the lead in a Judd Apatow directed film, this summer. 

Tosh, Schumer, Workaholics, and maybe Broad City are ahead of Wilmore. Oh, and South Park is kinda popular too.